Gran Fondo / Pave / Endurance Road Bike Suggestions

Shpox

Postby Shpox » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:34 am

Hey guys, just wondering what the open market has to offer a decent commuter. n+3 atm.

Bikeradar recently did their 2015 shootout and this bike really took my interest. Definitely great for a daily commuter. I'd be doing maybe 60km a day on a commute (30 in, 30 back) and generally want to use this bike for training and endurance. I'd rather not take the propel if I can help it.

Problem is there isn't a lot of availability from the distributor end, and at the LBS end they attract a pretty hefty premium or they're still selling last years version.

Ideally, my requirements would be:
- Shimano 105 5800
- 28mm tyres or at least able to fit them
- Compact Crank with 32 tooth cassette ideally
- Comfortable frame that's isn't a slouch when pushed i.e. not super heavy. Still racey. Indifferent to Alu or Carbon, so long as it's not a boat anchor.
- Disk brakes

Just wondering if something like this is better custom built. I have come from an old Alu frame and the thing was really harsh. I know there's more compliant choices out there but wondering what the opinion on BNA. I personally really like the direction to better braking/comfort without any loss of say speed or excess weight. Not sure if I'm chasing 'gravel bike' territory, but it's certainly interesting. Another route would to take an already complaint road bike, say a Defy or Cannondale Synapse 105 and just lookout for disk brakes/tyre clearance and just chuck on a decent cassette.
Last edited by Shpox on Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.

jemima

Re: Gran Fondo / Pave / Endurance Road Bike Suggestions

Postby jemima » Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:58 pm

You mean Taylor Cycles, right ;)

Hmmn. Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc?
About 1/2kg heavier than the BMC.
Seems to have all the specs you listed (though the Cube seems to come with 25's, but it can handle mudguards, so 28's may fit.)

99 Bikes has it listed on their website, and I know there's a ton of those shops around town. Just watch out for the crappy staff (my experience).
Might be worth checking out.

Shpox

Postby Shpox » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:12 pm

Hey Jemima, and yes. No stock. No hiding here, ha.

I'm also wondering whether a CX frame/setup with slick wheels could be a nice option. Like this: http://www.99bikes.com.au/bike15-merida ... reen-white" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I had a bit of sneaky look around today while listening to the hottest 100.

99 Bikes also has this, which is perfect but pretty exxy. Costs the same as the my propel - almost. It's marketed more as a gravel bike.
http://www.99bikes.com.au/bike16-gt-gra ... raw-191584" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The cannondale synapse, BMC gran fondo and the GT grade carbon , Giant Defy 1 Disc all seem really great. I had a look at Boardman and Canyon too, who now both distribute here, but nothing really stuck out.

I'll keep an eye out for that Cube. Sometimes 99 does pretty good sales and the local lads near me are pretty switched on. I've owned one before actually. Good bikes, but they are pretty heavy. Have to see how much heaver 1-2 kg = in $.

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:29 pm

CX bike is a good option. Most come with discs these days and with a second (or third ... ;) ) wheelset you can easily swap around for different conditions.

I've sold my two older roadies recently and am down to one bike ( 'dale CAADX) for all types of riding. It takes up to about 38s I'd say, though my 'big' wheels only have 35s.

I also have 25s on Fulcrum QuattroCXs, but my current preferred setup is 28s on Fulcrum CX7s, which cover me for just about anything, and give a pretty good ride, even from an Alu frame.

If you're looking for a more versatile bike that can do a few things pretty well you'll probably need to accept the 1-2 kg weight penalty but honestly you don't really notice it that much. My bike weighs 9-10 kg depending on how it's set up.
2023 Target: 9.500kms/100,000m
My old blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding, not racing...completing, not competing"

slowK

Postby slowK » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:36 pm

I bought a secondhand 2014 carbon (non-disc) Synapse last year. It was built up with SRAM Force 22. I now ride it more than my Madone 5.9 with SRAM Red - much more comfortable/less harsh. I don't subjectively feel slower on the Synapse - in fact the Trek feels slower despite being a bit lighter and supposedly more "aero". Handling of the Synapse is a bit slower when cornering at speed, but still very acceptable. I run 28mm tires, and there's clearance for a bit more too.

One noticeable difference (which may not be an issue for you in your size) is toe overlap. My 50cm Trek has a front centre of 575mm, wile the 51cm Synapse has 588mm. That 13mm difference makes a huge difference to me, especially for low speed cornering (think bike paths/pedestrian overpasses encountered with commuting). The BMC Granfondos have quite short front-centre distances - just something to think about (I wanted one too, but too expensive for me).

I guess what I'm saying is that a disc/105 carbon Synapse would be a really solid choice.

m@

Postby m@ » Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:51 pm

Worth noting that many CX bikes have quite race-oriented geometry - that said my CX bike was also my roadie for quite a while (think there's a photo and details on the build here somewhere...). Be aware that if you're running a MTB or CX wheelset, 23C tyres can be unsafe as they won't have sufficient height on the wide rims to avoid pinch flats (yeah, ask me how I know...).

In the CX category, check out the CELL Brunswick (you'd need to go to Sydney to test one...). New models due very soon, word on the street is the 1.0 model (alu frame, SRAM grouppo, cable disc brakes) will get a price drop. A mate is also selling one of the original model in 56cm if that might suit you.

In the dedicated Pave category, the Specialized Diverge is the only bike I have personal experience with that fits your requirements, whether or not it fits your budget... OTOH if budget isn't a factor, Curve make some very nice frames ;)
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

daft1024

Postby daft1024 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:28 am

You don't mention your budget, but bicycle warehouse out at Strathpine has some 2014 GF02's for $1K... Yes it's aly, 10 sp tiagra and rim brakes, but it would certainly handle 1200km months no worries and no depreciation to worry about....

Swap out the pads for Swisstop's or koolstops and you should have most of the performance of discs without the price....

It comes with a compact and 12-30 cassette. I have this gearing it's ok for pretty much anything. Once or twice I wished I had a 32 granny gear but that is more to do with my fitness than anything else... Unless you are carrying heaps of kit I wonder if you would actually need a 32?

No where near as lovely as the GF01 (or top end synaspe/defy/diverge) but I'm guessing the propel would feel pretty amazing on the weekends after spending the weekly grind on a lower spec GF02...