24x1 road puncture resistant tyre

Diggles

24x1 road puncture resistant tyre

Postby Diggles » Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:54 pm

Bought my boy a 24" Trek road bike that he is stokes with but keeps getting punctures using the tyres he's using. Looking to replace the tyres with anything suitable. We like in rural WA, with 40+ deg days a norm, so any soft compound tyre just picks up every thing! The roads are also rough, so hard on the tyres. I've tried looking through the web with not much success.

Does anyone know of any 24x1 puncture resistant tyres on the market? Amny help would be appreciated.

Digs

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: 24x1 road puncture resistant tyre

Postby Kalgrm » Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:21 pm

G'day Diggles,

Welcome to the forum.

I lived in Kalgoorlie for a while and the "goat's head" prickles there made normal tyres impossible to use. My solution at the time was to run a tyre liner (e.g. Mr Tuffy) and put "Slime" in my tubes. Even with standard tyres, that system stopped just about everything.

These days, I'd go with a ghetto tubeless setup, but that's a lot of work and research on your part if you want to pursue it.

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:37 pm

The tyre liners seem to do the trick for me too. Not that I'm riding in goat head on rough stuff though, I use them on roadie slick tyres. I was getting regular steel fibres causing punctures on my commute, the steel was the reinforcing in a lot of the concrete sharepath I use. Since installing the liners I don think I've had a flat in a couple of years, when I was getting them regularly at about once a fortnight on average.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:05 am

SJS Cycles out of the UK list a huge range of tyres. They're not the cheapest place though.

Diggles

Postby Diggles » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:12 am

Thanks everyone for your replies, will look into your advice, cheers.
Digs

Mediocratus

Postby Mediocratus » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:38 pm

Try thorn proof tubes from your local bike shop. They don't stop everything but they do help and they are easily available. Calthrop is the pits and with the recent rain it will soon be everywhere.