Wheelset Upgrade from Bontrager RL

Andrew Holmes

Wheelset Upgrade from Bontrager RL

Postby Andrew Holmes » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:16 am

Hi everybody,

I am relatively new to road cycling so please go easy :) I have got a Merida Scultura 904 and it has a set of Bontrager RL wheels. This my first road bike and the only set of wheels I have rode on so I don't have much experience telling the difference between wheelsets. I have been reading everywhere that if you only do 1 upgrade to a bike like mine before you go and spend big bucks on another bike is to upgrade the wheels. There is too much information for me to digest so thought I may as well ask the experts and get general opinion.

Like I said I am currently running Bontrager RL wheels and was looking at either of the following. I guess I should note that I am mainly riding flats at this stage and will be looking at incorporating some hills soon but these will never be my main focus as I live in a town that has a lot of flat riding and you really have to go looking for hills.

Mavic Kyrsium Elite
Mavic Cosmic Elite
Mavic Cosmic Carbone
Shimano Dura Ace C35
Shimano Dura Ace C50
Fulcrum Racing 1's
Fulcrum Racing Zero

Open to any other suggestions.

Best bang for buck wheelset? Are any of these a worthwhile upgrade over the Bontragers or will the performance difference not be worth the price and should just save my money for a new bike in the future. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Cheers Guys and or Girls.

Andrew