Panier rack adapters for 29er - any experience with Tubus?

juzzle

Panier rack adapters for 29er - any experience with Tubus?

Postby juzzle » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:12 pm

I am considering buying a Specialized 29er MTB that does not have panier eyelets (ie, it is not "rack-compatible"). I therefore need to look at adapters. I have found this product by Tubus:

More info: http://www.tubus.com/documents/13340653 ... aelter.pdf

Connecting to the top part of the frame shouldn't be an an issue, however my greatest fear is unrelaiblity (ie, cracking) or perhaps replacing the standard axle bolt.

Can anyone relate any experiences with these on MTBs?

Thank you!

Uncle Just

Re: Panier rack adapters for 29er - any experience with Tubu

Postby Uncle Just » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:02 pm

Anything by Tubus is ime well designed, strong and fit for purpose. While I haven't used this particular adapter I'm not aware of problems and may possibly be stronger than attaching the rack to traditional eyelets because the load is taken by the QR axle. (A quick google turned up zilch problems) It won't come loose either unlike some eyelet bolts can or the possibility of a stripped thread. Just makes changing a wheel longer to do. FWIW I own four Tubus racks and they perform well.

Another option you may wish to consider is a seat bag which have become increasingly popular with the bike packing crowd as it needs no eyelets at all. Straps on with velcro and fastens around the seat post and under the seat. Unless you need a rack to carry panniers etc it is worth checking out. I have a Revelate seat bag I use for lightweight touring and it fits easily on my MTB. Very happy with it. Of course they will not carry as much as 2 panniers and the space on the top of a rack.

takai

Postby takai » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:00 am

That style of adapter is a complete pain if you get a rear flat as you have to line it all up likely with heavy panniers or remove everythign to gain access and have it flopping around in the breeze while you are trying to change a wheel.

Inevitably it will be in the wet with sideways rain as well.

grantw

Postby grantw » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:22 am

Tokai is correct, I have one and used it exactly once and got a puncture. You need about 7 hands to get everything to line back up. Nearly killed me.

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:20 pm

And obviously the MTB that you're looking at has a QR rear, not thru axle? If thru axle then there are racks for this, such as OMM's Pioneer, just a whole lot more expensive. Might it be easier to just buy an MTB suited to racks? It might also come with extra mounts for bidons, lowrider racks, spare spokes or whatnot, just less compromise elsewhere.

celeste boy

Postby celeste boy » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:49 pm

I adapted an Aldi rack and panniers ( $47) with the help of 2 cable ties. Worked for me.

CB

juzzle

Postby juzzle » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:09 am

Products like the Axiom look solid AND include an adapter for non-eyelet frames:

http://www.axiomgear.com/products/racks ... -disc-dlx/

grantw

Postby grantw » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:09 am

juzzle wrote:Products like the Axiom look solid AND include an adapter for non-eyelet frames:

http://www.axiomgear.com/products/racks ... -disc-dlx/
They still rely on mounting to the skewer, which is the big drawback with the Tubus.

Uncle Just

Postby Uncle Just » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:16 pm

Then there's the Thule Pack n Pedal Tour rack which does not require any eyelets or QR attachment but relies on ratcheting straps.

http://www.thule.com.au/details.php?p_id=605" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pricey though.

takai

Postby takai » Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:00 pm

The rubber lined metal P clips work a treat for securing lower legs of pannier racks. Especially if you have a section of frame that they can butt against. Welds work well.

AndrewF80

Postby AndrewF80 » Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:39 am

Hey, just chiming in that I'm also looking for a decent way to mount a rack to a bike with no eyelets... Seems like those P Clips are pretty widely appreciated as the best option. Are they strong? Do they suffer from fatigue?

Thanks guys :)