Thule Tow Bar Adapter.

WarrenH

Thule Tow Bar Adapter.

Postby WarrenH » Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:51 pm

I'm looking for info about a Thule 970-3AP or a Thule 970-3BP tow bar adapter for a 970-3 Hang-on Bike Carrier. The 970-3 carrier is the one that has the push-down locking handle, seen below the yellow rag.

I sold my old car and forgot to take the adapter off the tow bar. I'm not expecting anyone has one for sale, so I'll make one if needs be.

The adapters are no longer made, and haven't been sold for about three years. Thule can't supply me the tech specs, for me to easily make one, and I've hunted the web thoroughly for the part. So I'm hoping you guys or gals might be able to help. If any one has one of the three(?) versions of Thule's tow bar adapter and can sell it to me, I won't haggle on your price. I'm almost giving up on the hope of finding one, though.

This is one of the later versions of the adapter.

My adapter was very basic, like the sketch below. If anyone has one and can tell me how thick their adapter is, that would be an excellent starting point, if I need to make the part.

Cheers and thank you.

Warren.
"But on steep descending...Larson TT have bad effect on the mind of a rider" - MadRider from Suji, Korea 2001.

"Paved roads ... another fine example of wasteful government spending." - a bumper sticker.

RonK

Re: Thule Tow Bar Adapter.

Postby RonK » Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:41 pm

In my opinion the most convenient carrier Thule ever made.

I will never sell mine, but I'll measure up the adaptor for you when it returns home this evening.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

WarrenH

Postby WarrenH » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:09 pm

Ron, G'day. Wow. That's absolutely fabulous.

I'll fashion the part from polypropylene, firstly. Then when it fits exactly, I'll get it milled in aluminium at one of my local machine shops.

When I contacted Thule Australia, the bloke on the phone said, "They had looked into getting some made, because every one forgets to take the part off their tow bar when they sell their car," and they Thule in Sydney, have had many requests for the part. Thule in Sydney had a quote of $650 to start making the part. "

Thank you in advance Mate ... and my best wishes.

Warren.
"But on steep descending...Larson TT have bad effect on the mind of a rider" - MadRider from Suji, Korea 2001.

"Paved roads ... another fine example of wasteful government spending." - a bumper sticker.

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:39 pm

OK, here you go...I'd be tempted to get one cut out of steel plate, should be cheaper than machining aluminium.

WarrenH

Postby WarrenH » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:30 am

Ron, thank you for your reply and excellent image. This is far better than I could have expected.

Last week I booked-in my vehicle at Roof-Rack-City in Belconnen in Canberra, to have a tow bar fitted for today, Tuesday morning. R-R-C, wont be selling me a new Thule 3 bike carrier now, at $285. The guys there told me it would be cheaper to buy a new rack than to consider making one and thought it was pie-in-the sky for me to find the specs to be able to make a tow bar adapter. I'm feeling quite smug now.

Cheers again.

Warren.

WarrenH

Postby WarrenH » Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:07 pm

An update. Ron's measurements were absolutely spot on, and required no tweaking.

I made the adapter from high-density polyethylene plastic, a $4.50 white cutting board from a dollar shop. It took me about half an hour to make. The plastic is strong so I'll hold off making one in metal ... at this stage.

The cost of 15mm steel plate 150x150mm from a local metal supplier was $25 and the same size of High Grade 15mm Aluminium found on Ebay with postage is about $50 ...http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/15mm-Alumini ... SwwbdWO5A0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tomorrow I'll go for a drive.

Warren.

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:17 pm

Good result. But - err, isn't that the wrong way around?

WarrenH

Postby WarrenH » Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:25 pm

Ron, G'day. Apparently some of the hangers have the adapter facing the front and some are positioned behind the ball. My carrier has the adapter closest to the key lock.

When I was searching for the part, and called several Thule dealers, some of them asked me what was the position that the adapter fitted beneath my hanger, front or back, which I couldn't remember.

With my hang-on carrier the adapter fits snugly in front of the two locator bolts. When the paper template fitted perfectly following your measurements, I was most pleased.

Warren.

Axman

Postby Axman » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:55 am

Hi there WarrenH - stumbled on your post just now as I am having the exact same problem. Sold my car and forgot to take the adapter off, Thule can't help. Unfortunately I am not as handy as you clearly are; would you consider making another one and sending it to me (in Sydney) amd how much would you charge? No worries if you are not interested, but I thought I'd ask.

WarrenH

Postby WarrenH » Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:39 pm

Axman, I went through what I felt were all the correct channels firstly, but was left with little option but to make the part or junk a perfectly good bike carrier ... as you're aware.

I presume, that making another one and then selling it, breaks Thule's copyright on the part, if there is a copyright on the part. When I contacted Thule initially, I said that I was prepared to make one after no luck searching and going through several of their distributors. I had no indication from Thule about making one part for me, was going to hassle Thule.

Also I'm not 100% sure how this part will hold up after use, with it being plastic. It is only a short term fix for limited travel, until the aluminium arrives.

A follow up on my post, earlier today.

I contacted Thule Australia again, 6th April, and the Manager was OK with me having made the part, for myself, as it is no longer a Thule made product but I don't have product warranty or liability insurance for making them for others. If I made one for you and the part failed, I'm libel for what ever happens.

Axman, you're in the same boat as me Mate, with your hacksaw and drill bits. But thanks for the offer and confidence in my workmanship.

If you give me a call at home on 02 62540295, I'm happy tell you how I made it and what tools I used. It was a very basic process.

Warren.

markylie

Postby markylie » Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:29 pm

Hi I have bought a second hand Thule 3 bike rack with no instruction. We were given the round locking piece? Does this need to be used? As when we attach this we can no longer open back door. It opens without it on , so unsure do you need it ? Thank you

markylie

Postby markylie » Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:33 pm

Hi do you need that part ? As we took ours of because the back door doesn't open/close.

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:39 pm

Yes, you need it to stop the rack from turning.

Jydell

Postby Jydell » Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:58 pm

Hi markylie

If you don't need the part, consider selling and sending it to me (let me know cost). I purchased a second hand rack today and it didn't come with the part. It will not fit on my tow bar without it (note it does say only required for Australian tow balls so you may not need it but I sure do as it doesn't fit.)

wotsa

Postby wotsa » Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:07 pm

Hi WarrenH and all, i also have a second hand Follow Me and need an adaptor - Warren, is the plastic model still doing the job or have you switched to a metal version?

Missdahill

Postby Missdahill » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:13 am

You cannot be serious using a cutting board. This is not a safe thing to do as it does not have the structural integrity and strength of metal. It would create an insurance headache for you. Buy the correct item on eBay for $25, also on Gumtree.

Look for “970-3AP Thule”
Or
“970-3AP Thule 3 Bike Rack 970 Metal Mounting plate”