8 sp to 11 sp conversion

ausvegguykk

Re: 8 sp to 11 sp conversion

Postby ausvegguykk » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:49 am

No i don't have knee issues, and i would like to keep it that way

atm, i am just really not happy with my cadence when going up hills, and i just really want to get a more comfortable cadence going up hills.

yeah, i dopnt think i can just change casette, i still need 10sp min, if you can hack the RD to improve range, maybe i could hack the m592 to fit a 40 teeth later on if i really wanted

koshari

Postby koshari » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:16 am

dalai47 wrote:
Duck! wrote:According to the spec sheet of your bike, you already have the same gear spread as a wide-range 11-sp. All you will do by going to 11 is fill a few holes in the middle of the cassette with the extra gears.
^^ This. Bike according to spec sheet has a very low gear for a road bike already.

I've climbed the Mortirolo on bigger gears than that, and that was in the rain so had to ride it seated on the steepest sections to keep traction! Only climb in Australia I've ridden that comes close in Australia is Baw Baw. Can't think of too many roads that need such low gearing.

My recommendation is ride it as is and save your money.

http://climbinglama.blogspot.com.au/search?q=baw+baw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
nice write up delai.
i can see that mountain from my back yard every clear day but are yet to pluck up enough courage/preparation to have a crack at her. I think I will just keep rolling over her baby sister out to the south in Mt Worth for a while yet. Mt Tassie down in the valley will be my next frontier.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:55 pm

ausvegguykk wrote:Cheers, i might actually spend $20 more and get a derailleur that can handle a massive casette, just incase lol... do you think any 9sp mtb from shimano/sram will be fine
No. 36 is the biggest that will fit.
koshari wrote: if you want to go that route why not get a zee 10 speed shadow+ RD with a ratchet? of course you wont be able to run any shimano brifters with it because shimano 10 speed mountain has a different pull ratio again and will need gevenalle shifters or barends. http://gevenalle.com/product/gx/
No! The Zee derailleur is a downhill model. It can take a 36T cassette, but ONLY with a single chainring; it does not have the capacity to run a big cassette with a double. Then there's the incompatible leverage ratio.
koshari wrote: alternatively you could achieve the same outcome as your last proposal possibly with just a rear cassette ($16) as looking at that claris rear dérailleur I wouldn’t be surprised if a longer b-screw would get the chain up onto 36 teeth...
Longer b-screw is ineffective. When it's cranked in, the angle of its base on the pivot changes & the screw doesn't even hit the step on the derailleur hanger. So you don't get any more clearance from it.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

ausvegguykk

Postby ausvegguykk » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:06 pm

Duck! wrote:
ausvegguykk wrote:Cheers, i might actually spend $20 more and get a derailleur that can handle a massive casette, just incase lol... do you think any 9sp mtb from shimano/sram will be fine
No. 36 is the biggest that will fit.
koshari wrote: if you want to go that route why not get a zee 10 speed shadow+ RD with a ratchet? of course you wont be able to run any shimano brifters with it because shimano 10 speed mountain has a different pull ratio again and will need gevenalle shifters or barends. http://gevenalle.com/product/gx/
No! The Zee derailleur is a downhill model. It can take a 36T cassette, but ONLY with a single chainring; it does not have the capacity to run a big cassette with a double. Then there's the incompatible leverage ratio.
koshari wrote: alternatively you could achieve the same outcome as your last proposal possibly with just a rear cassette ($16) as looking at that claris rear dérailleur I wouldn’t be surprised if a longer b-screw would get the chain up onto 36 teeth...
Longer b-screw is ineffective. When it's cranked in, the angle of its base on the pivot changes & the screw doesn't even hit the step on the derailleur hanger. So you don't get any more clearance from it.
cheers duck, i think i might just settle with the 36 derailleur then, i'll order everything tonight unless anyone has any further suggestions

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:20 pm

Go with those bits you posted earlier. End discussion. :-)

limetang

Postby limetang » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:29 am

ausvegguykk wrote:
atm, i am just really not happy with my cadence when going up hills, and i just really want to get a more comfortable cadence going up hills.
Keep your current gear and train more. What cadence do you want to achieve climbing?

Bentnose

Postby Bentnose » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:45 am

If you really want to spin up steep hills you may need to go with lower gearing, I have an 11-36 10 spd on my CX but with a triple front 26/36/48, Deore front chainset with this combination cost me $75, you'll need a triple front derialuer, about $30.
No signature

koshari

Postby koshari » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:04 am

Bentnose wrote:If you really want to spin up steep hills you may need to go with lower gearing, I have an 11-36 10 spd on my CX but with a triple front 26/36/48, Deore front chainset with this combination cost me $75, you'll need a triple front derialuer, about $30.
been there explored that, his shifters are not triple compatible, besides judge judy has spoken 3 posts ago :-)

Bentnose

Postby Bentnose » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:26 pm

koshari wrote:
Bentnose wrote:If you really want to spin up steep hills you may need to go with lower gearing, I have an 11-36 10 spd on my CX but with a triple front 26/36/48, Deore front chainset with this combination cost me $75, you'll need a triple front derialuer, about $30.
been there explored that, his shifters are not triple compatible, besides judge judy has spoken 3 posts ago :-)
The OP was going to buy new brifters from looking at one of his his previous posts, 4600 I believe, just need to buy 4603 instead. If I was the OP I would also ditch the HG50 chain from the parts list and buy a KMC X10, better chain than a HG 50. Ribble had 4603 brifters last time I looked, I did buy some 5603 brifters from Ribble.

Edit: HG 54 chain was specced.
No signature

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:11 pm

Bentnose wrote:
koshari wrote:
The OP was going to buy new brifters from looking at one of his his previous posts, 4600 I believe, just need to buy 4603 instead. If I was the OP I would also ditch the HG50 chain from the parts list and buy a KMC X10, better chain than a HG 50. Ribble had 4603 brifters last time I looked, I did buy some 5603 brifters from Ribble.

Edit: HG 54 chain was specced.
To go triple would also require crank, suitable bottom bracket and front derailleur. The OP has also been trying to keep within a somewhat restrained budget & retain as much current gear as possible. The conclusion that's been reached achieves that. As for the chain, a nicer option would be the HG95 XT-level chain, but the reality is the only difference is in the corrosion-resistant coating; the cheaper chain is no heavier, and shifts equally well as the better-specced options, it just needs a little more attention to proper lubrication to stop it going rusty. The "4" in HG54 simply identifies it as the MTB 10-sp. version of the HG50 technical level.

Bentnose

Postby Bentnose » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:31 pm

It all depends on if the 34/36 combination will allow the OP to actually spin up the hills, I'm pretty sure that's what they were aiming for, I have used a 34/36 and found it doesn't allow you to spin up steep hills it still becomes a grind.
No signature

ausvegguykk

Postby ausvegguykk » Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:41 pm

Sup all, i assembled everything today, everything works reasonably well, shifts very well, small problem is, i can't index the smallest cog on the casette (the derailleur literally doesn't go that for)... maybe i need a spacer of some sort?

also seems to have some trouble shifting to the largest cog, but i think that might resolve itself once i tighten the chain

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:36 pm

The derailleur shouldn't have an issue going out to the smallest sprocket, it's in the same alignment as the old one.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:32 am

ausvegguykk wrote: i can't index the smallest cog on the casette (the derailleur literally doesn't go that for)... maybe i need a spacer of some sort?

also seems to have some trouble shifting to the largest cog, but i think that might resolve itself once i tighten the chain
Ah, no. Step away from the chain.

You have an adjustment problem. Read Sheldon first
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ