Rear lights - what to look for?

Bunged Knee

Re: Rear lights - what to look for?

Postby Bunged Knee » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:22 pm

caneye wrote:
Bunged Knee wrote: I do have 2 rear lights my bikes. Fly6 on seat post and Cygolite Hotshot 1st version on my helmet at all times. Got hotshot for $30 from Loop the Lake stall in 2013.
how do you mount the cygolite hotshot on your helmet? cable-tie?
I use black velcro strips (not the adhesive ones) from $2 shop and cut it to fit at the back of my helmet and cut the hard foam to angle it down.
Hope I don`t get busted for modification to my lid. :shock:
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

mogwaiboi

Postby mogwaiboi » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:22 pm

wellington_street wrote:Saw the Moon 'Shield' in action the other night and it certainly does the job - very visible
I've used one of these for commuting the last few years and it's been great. The bracket on the light itself broke, so I just used araldite to permanently attach it to the rubber strap attachment. I've just recently got a Knog Kid Grid for the weekend stead - I'm yet to actually ride with it but it's quite bright as well.
Avoiding pissed of bogans in SUV's...

ianganderton

Postby ianganderton » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:08 pm

Question:

When is bright rear light too bright?

Just cycled from mascot to the rocks and there were a lot of cyclists out there with lights that were just too much. Both front and back
NOT sent from tapatalk

TheWall

Postby TheWall » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:17 pm

mogwaiboi wrote:
wellington_street wrote:Saw the Moon 'Shield' in action the other night and it certainly does the job - very visible
I've used one of these for commuting the last few years and it's been great. The bracket on the light itself broke, so I just used araldite to permanently attach it to the rubber strap attachment. I've just recently got a Knog Kid Grid for the weekend stead - I'm yet to actually ride with it but it's quite bright as well.
Love this light as it is quite visible from up to 90degrees in my opinion. Ridden in heaps of wet weather and never a problem and run time is great. After getting the Fly6 I moved this to my helmet and the straps have been easy to work with.

caneye

Postby caneye » Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:29 pm

ianganderton wrote:Question:

Just cycled from mascot to the rocks and there were a lot of cyclists out there with lights that were just too much. Both front and back

unfortunately what is TOO BRIGHT for you might be "not bright enough" for a car travelling at 60kmh.

yet to find a REAR light that is satisfactory for both road users!

ianganderton

Postby ianganderton » Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:43 pm

caneye wrote:
ianganderton wrote:Question:

unfortunately what is TOO BRIGHT for you might be "not bright enough" for a car travelling at 60kmh.

yet to find a REAR light that is satisfactory for both road users!
I've recently read quite a bit about front lights from the perspective of the German legislation and one of the interesting things is to do with how very bright lights can actually cause people to see less. Undipped car head lights and rear fog lights in inappropriate weather conditions are 2 examples off the top of my head.
NOT sent from tapatalk

ianganderton

Postby ianganderton » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:23 pm

I found this interesting from the POV of the OP title "Rear lights- what to look for?"

http://www.anec.eu/attachments/anec-r&t ... af-002.pdf
NOT sent from tapatalk

pumpinpistons

Postby pumpinpistons » Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:48 am

Howzat wrote:I like the light & motion vis 180 models. 12+ hour battery life on low which is very bright, no blinking, orange side visibility, easy to fit with solid strap, and an angled hinge so you can mount it on seat stays or seat posts and have it facing at the same angle. I also like the serfas thunderbolt style, the large surface area is very visible.

I no longer use blinkies with flashing patterns. They say "bike ahead, not real road user".

Cheap junk lights will fail on you when you're on the road, and you probably won't notice when they do.

I concur. Light and motion products seem to be very well built (i have a front, urban 600 i think, and a vis 180 rear). supposedly they measure/calculate their lumens properly which many cheaper manufacturers don't, and their waterproofing is great. Expensive, but they tick all the boxes for me.

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Sun May 01, 2016 2:08 am

I ended up going with the ES Beacon for $60 from the LBS. Probably could have got it cheaper online but then I would've had to wait on delivery. Pretty happy so far!

BugsBunny

Postby BugsBunny » Fri May 13, 2016 5:08 pm

The best rear light IMHO is the Bontrager Flare R.

Here's why....

Day time mode. If you believe in the value of day time rear lights, then this one works in the real world. Its VERY bright so as to be genuinely effective.

Wide spread of light. Some lights are bright when looking only DEAD-ON. The Flare is bright over a very wide spread. This is practical for real world riding such as when you are going around a corner.

Battery time. Some lights can be set on its brightest setting but only run for a couple of hours. The Flare runs for (I think like 5 hours) - which is longer than most. Its also USB rechargable.

Side visibility. THe Flare as two yellow lights for side visiblity. They work very well at night time.