Rear lights - what to look for?

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:36 pm

Hello,

in the market for a new rear light, mainly because I don't think my current light is visible enough. I see other riders out and about that seem a lot more visible than me, so I'd like to get something similar. Not sure what the current light is (bike not handy right now to check) but it was an el cheapo that came in the whole bike and accessories package.

I've had a look at a couple of reviews on this forum:
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=68319" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=64056" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and there is a real gulf in price. Would like some thoughts from those with a lot more experience - what should I be looking for in a rear light and what is value for money?

My night rides are generally quite short (max 1hr) and I ride a normal round seat post, not an aero post.

Thanks!

Storm Boy

Re: Rear lights - what to look for?

Postby Storm Boy » Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:09 pm

I can vouch for the Exposures if you are after visibility. Pretty good off axis visibility too.

Ferrovelo

Postby Ferrovelo » Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:24 pm

I was recently looking into rear lights, after something nice and bright. I went with the leyzene strip drive pro and I'm very happy with it. Compact, rechargeable, reasonable price <$60.

I bought one for one of my riding buddies too, so when we're out and he's in front I can see how it compares to other lights. It claims 100 lumens and on its brightest setting I'd say it is much brighter than most others i see out on the road.

softy

Postby softy » Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:15 pm

To be honest, alot of the lights at the LBS sells are just rubbish, i tried many. There sequence plays up, the brackets are fragile and break easily or they don't like water.

I found a super good deal from a china website, it is a copy of the PDW (Portland Design Works) Danger zone, which is also very good but much dearer. The flash cycle is slightly different and only one mount comes instead of two. The china copy is $5.80 US, waterproof and 2 x 0.5watt LEDs. Very bright, you can buy two at that price and have lights flashing everywhere.......

see it here; http://www.lt-box.com/raypal-rpl-2230-2 ... eries.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ferrovelo

Postby Ferrovelo » Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:56 pm

Ferrovelo wrote:I was recently looking into rear lights, after something nice and bright. I went with the leyzene strip drive pro and I'm very happy with it. Compact, rechargeable, reasonable price <$60.

I bought one for one of my riding buddies too, so when we're out and he's in front I can see how it compares to other lights. It claims 100 lumens and on its brightest setting I'd say it is much brighter than most others i see out on the road.

Here it is in action this morning.
Taken from about 10m @about 20 degrees.

https://vimeo.com/161271365

AndrewCowley

Postby AndrewCowley » Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:20 pm

I wouldn't overthink a rear light too much. Just get something simple like this.

http://www.pushys.com.au/cygolite-hotsh ... light.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But do definitely research the crap out of your front light. A much more important decision. It has to be fit for your specific requirements. It's not worth over-spending on a rear light and use the money saved on your front light.

Ferrovelo

Postby Ferrovelo » Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:25 pm

I guess I see it a bit differently. I certainly wouldn't argue about getting a good front light, but I feel that I have at least some level of control about what happens in front of me, or at least how I respond to it. Behind, your light is the only way you can even hope to influence what goes on back there. Since getting this light which is much brighter than what I had previously, and possibly even bordering on 'rude' on high in the dark, I'm sure I have noticed cars hanging a little further back and giving me a wider berth.
Last edited by Ferrovelo on Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:03 pm

Ferrovelo wrote:I guess I see it a bit differently. I certainly wouldn't argue about getting a good front light, but I feel that I have at least some level of control about what happens in front of me, or at least how a respond to it. Behind, your light is the only way you can even hope to influence what goes on back there. Since getting this light which is much brighter than what I had previously, and possibly even bordering on 'rude' on high in the dark, I'm sure I have noticed cars hanging a little further back and giving me a wider berth.
+1 Don't be scared to go big.
I'm not one for a tight focus beam on the rear either. You want to throw red light around a wide arc, make yourself as "big" as possible.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:34 pm

Mulger bill wrote:I'm not one for a tight focus beam on the rear either. You want to throw red light around a wide arc, make yourself as "big" as possible.
+1

Things like my Serfas Thunderbolt throw a wonderful wide beam (but battery life is 1.5 hrs on high/ 6 on low).

I also like my Portland Design works RADBOT with 2 x AAA. Not quite as wide and nowhere near as bright but many more hours of run time (about 12) and with batteries replaceable on the road.

And that's really the rub - run time vs arc/brightness vs battery size & cost. Either are good. Flashing is overrated (for reasons I won't get into here)

The main thing to look for is the ON SALE sign :D
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:53 pm

Mulger bill wrote:
Ferrovelo wrote:I guess I see it a bit differently. I certainly wouldn't argue about getting a good front light, but I feel that I have at least some level of control about what happens in front of me, or at least how a respond to it. Behind, your light is the only way you can even hope to influence what goes on back there. Since getting this light which is much brighter than what I had previously, and possibly even bordering on 'rude' on high in the dark, I'm sure I have noticed cars hanging a little further back and giving me a wider berth.
+1 Don't be scared to go big.
I'm not one for a tight focus beam on the rear either. You want to throw red light around a wide arc, make yourself as "big" as possible.
Don't overthink your rear light. Other things - notably your reflectives - can play a much, MUCH greater role in your road safety at night.

Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Howzat

Postby Howzat » Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:10 pm

I like the light & motion vis 180 models. 12+ hour battery life on low which is very bright, no blinking, orange side visibility, easy to fit with solid strap, and an angled hinge so you can mount it on seat stays or seat posts and have it facing at the same angle. I also like the serfas thunderbolt style, the large surface area is very visible.

I no longer use blinkies with flashing patterns. They say "bike ahead, not real road user".

Cheap junk lights will fail on you when you're on the road, and you probably won't notice when they do.

Tim Mifsud

Postby Tim Mifsud » Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:10 pm

I use two. A Cycliq Fly6 as my camera and flasher and an Orfos as my steady on

cp123

Postby cp123 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:45 pm

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:43 pm

Saw the Moon 'Shield' in action the other night and it certainly does the job - very visible

NhiTrac

Postby NhiTrac » Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:35 pm

I have a Exposure Blaze on the seatpost and an Exposure RedEye on the helmet.

One of the best rear lights I've ever used (in terms of throwing light down at the back) was the Niteflux Zone 4/8 series however after 3 warranty returns I gave up on the brand.
FOCUS Cayo
BMC Teammachine SLR01

softy

Postby softy » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:43 pm

wellington_street wrote:Saw the Moon 'Shield' in action the other night and it certainly does the job - very visible
DON'T buy this light, the clip is taken off one of the moon lights cheap counterparts and breaks quite easily. If you look closely the plastic on the light is made out of different material to the clip. It may spec as high lumens but it has a very narrow beam and is not that cheap. I am not a fan of moon lights, tired many models, really china lights are better and heaps cheaper.

Moon light don't like water.....

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:05 pm

IME, it's better to have two lights if you are on narrower roads with anything more than very light traffic. This makes you more visible earlier and gives a somewhat better indication to motorists of distance.

If you don't ride more than an hour in the dark, then going with something that has to be cabled externally would seem like overkill.

I'd suggest two 2 watt LED USB rechargeable tail lights. I have the cygolite hotshot and Echelon Sports Beacon. They've both been very reliable over the 3 years I've owned them.

I'd suggest wearing one on your seat post and another on your helmet.

softy

Postby softy » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:39 pm

CKinnard wrote:IME, it's better to have two lights if you are on narrower roads with anything more than very light traffic. This makes you more visible earlier and gives a somewhat better indication to motorists of distance.

If you don't ride more than an hour in the dark, then going with something that has to be cabled externally would seem like overkill.

I'd suggest two 2 watt LED USB rechargeable tail lights. I have the cygolite hotshot and Echelon Sports Beacon. They've both been very reliable over the 3 years I've owned them.

I do something like this too. Good advice.

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:51 pm

CKinnard wrote:IME, it's better to have two lights if you are on narrower roads with anything more than very light traffic. This makes you more visible earlier and gives a somewhat better indication to motorists of distance.

softy wrote:
I do something like this too. Good advice.
I do have 2 rear lights my bikes. Fly6 on seat post and Cygolite Hotshot 1st version on my helmet at all times. Got hotshot for $30 from Loop the Lake stall in 2013.
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:00 pm

Don't want to be contrary but I have 2 Moon front lights of which one has been soaked a few times (other is new) and has been flawless. No experience with their back lights but the front lights I have are fine. However, do have a look at the mount, it wouldn't surprise me if any company went cheap on something like a mount to increase profits.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:46 am

Went through a couple of Moon rears before I gave up. No likey water :lol: Front has been fine for two years. Used a bbb rear since June last year, no issue.

ianganderton

Postby ianganderton » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:43 am

I've just fitted Dynamo powered B&M Toplights to our urban bikes. It has an interesting technology to improve the person-behind-you's idea of distance

http://en.bumm.de/innovationoriginal/linetec.html
LineTec is our patented rear light optical lens. The pin-point light source of a high performance LED is spread through a light guide with the help of this optical system. the light emitted now has an extra dimension. How does that help? To the human eye approaching from the rear, a point of light pretty much remains a point of light. No matter how close you are, or how fast you are approaching, there is no significant change to this. Once this point becomes a line or an oval or has a specific shape, the change we can see through a change in perspective becomes much more apparent. The result is that traffic around you is better able to judge where you are and at what speed you are moving in a particular direction. That makes you safer!
The reason I went for this light was it was one of the few that had an off switch for the stand light. I didn't want to leave the bike locked up in a public place with a bright light potentially attracting unwanted attention
NOT sent from tapatalk

caneye

Postby caneye » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:30 am

Bunged Knee wrote: I do have 2 rear lights my bikes. Fly6 on seat post and Cygolite Hotshot 1st version on my helmet at all times. Got hotshot for $30 from Loop the Lake stall in 2013.
how do you mount the cygolite hotshot on your helmet? cable-tie?

avolve

Postby avolve » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:49 pm

I have a couple Blaze Burner coming https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/em ... -for-bikes

For my recently acquired Catrike Trail I have ordered a Supernova Airstream for the font ($$$).

I lean towards good rear lights (and reflective panniers/etc).

Most of my commute is on cycleway (away from the road), and some spots with little-no street lighting — which is why I went for a more expensive front light.

I had a Supernova E3 Pro (dynamo) on a previous bike which I liked (until it was liberated from the garage by unknown visitors on night), so stuck with what I know...

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:16 pm

i run knog blinder rears, this is a pretty good deal if you also need a front light

USB charge, easy to install.

http://www.mrcyclingworld.com.au/knog-b ... pack-black