Buying advice - brown jersey islington

tearsinkevin

Buying advice - brown jersey islington

Postby tearsinkevin » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:04 pm

Hey all,
so I got doored in November last year and the mongrel wrote off my lovely old vintage peugeot 10 speed.
Anyway I'm finally feeling like I can get back on the road, and since I have a little more cash than I've had in the past, I thought I'd throw it at a decent bike that I'll get some years mileage out of. So I've been shopping around, and had a test ride on an islington.
Now I know the specs are decent (tiagra groupset, thompson cromo), I love the look and it feels great on the road, but I can't shake the feeling that the $1600 price tag is inflated by about $200-300 because of the "boutique" angle.
should I bite the bullet or look for something more mainstream? any suggestions?

MattyK

Re: Buying advice - brown jersey islington

Postby MattyK » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:40 pm

Logic doesn't enter into that debate. Ride both. Pick the one that makes you happy. If they both make you happy then pick your favourite colour, or some other esoteric detail (eg steel over aluminium), and don't regret it.

FWIW you can get a Tiagra 4700 equipped Polygon or even a 105-equipped Reid for about $900... That difference would buy one heck of a wheel upgrade...

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:14 pm

tearsinkevin wrote:...I love the look and it feels great on the road, but I can't shake the feeling that the $1600 price tag is inflated by about $200-300 because of the "boutique" angle.
should I bite the bullet or look for something more mainstream? any suggestions?
It's Reynolds 725. Components wear out and can be replaced...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

tearsinkevin

Postby tearsinkevin » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:54 pm

FWIW you can get a Tiagra 4700 equipped Polygon or even a 105-equipped Reid for about $900... That difference would buy one heck of a wheel upgrade...
yeah I was thinking something along these lines, I just don't want to skimp on the frame as mulger pointed out

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:57 pm

Without having been on a steel road bike for about 20 years, I have no idea how they would compare to a cheap carbon frame. But both are susceptible to damage, and both can be repaired... As I said, ride both and compare.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:25 pm

tearsinkevin wrote:
yeah I was thinking something along these lines, I just don't want to skimp on the frame as mulger pointed out
That's the thing about steel frames. You find the right frame, treat her right, she'll be with you till the day you die.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:06 pm

Mulger bill wrote:
tearsinkevin wrote:
That's the thing about steel frames. You find the right frame, treat her right, she'll be with you till the day you die.
Yeah, like my recently resurrected Apollo. It'll last until I die alright. Cos after the R5 I just can't deal and am gonna put it back under the house asap! :lol:

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:03 pm

Seems like a good price to me. I'm surprised it's not more expensive tbh.
It will probably be durable but it's not a lugged frame.
Welds aren't as strong and can fail.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:16 pm

Not sure about $1,600. I picked up an Alegro T1 on special for $600 (down from $1,600) although I think Tiagra is probably more pricey than SRAM Apex.

It is a very nice steel frame drop bar although the V Brakes mean the shifters are bar end rather than brifters.

I'd suggest looking around and test riding.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:22 pm

For the same money as the Islington, you can get a Malvern Star Oppy S2, steel frame, but with 22 speed 105 and hydro discs so that is the boutique brand premium

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:01 am

nickobec wrote:For the same money as the Islington, you can get a Malvern Star Oppy S2, steel frame, but with 22 speed 105 and hydro discs so that is the boutique brand premium
Doesn't say what the tubing is but I like that. 8)
It would make a great commuter.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:10 pm

warthog1 wrote:
nickobec wrote:For the same money as the Islington, you can get a Malvern Star Oppy S2, steel frame, but with 22 speed 105 and hydro discs so that is the boutique brand premium
Doesn't say what the tubing is but I like that. 8)
It would make a great commuter.
Yep, every box ticked for mine.
Fork looks slightly beefed for disc too. 8)
London Boy 29/12/2011

tearsinkevin

Postby tearsinkevin » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:38 pm

now THAT is food for thought
MattyK wrote: cheap carbon frame
I guess I am getting into that realm considering a $1600 steel aren't I... never been able to afford a carbon fibre - worth it?

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:16 pm

Again, only you can answer that. I like my cheap carbon bike. The feeling of damping through the frame is really impressive compared to my alloy commuter. It weighs about as much as a steel frame, so it should be robust enough to last for a while, so once again it comes back to personal preference.