[Buying Advice] First time road bike user

jabelone

[Buying Advice] First time road bike user

Postby jabelone » Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:51 pm

Hi All!

I'm sick of this cheap kmart mountain bike I've been riding to uni every day and have decided to get a decent road bike. I have found a 2010 "Giant Defy Alliance Carbon Composite" on gumtree for $600. Based on my research this seems like a good bike but I'm not sure about the price - is this a good deal or should I try asking for less. I don't want to come across as rude with a lowball offer but I'm also a broke uni student. ;)

Thanks!

bychosis

Re: [Buying Advice] First time road bike user

Postby bychosis » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:42 pm

I don't know about that one, but if you are cash strapped maybe buying something a bit less desirable/flash looking in case of theft assuming you are riding for transport and will need to leave it locked up outside.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

jabelone

Postby jabelone » Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:26 pm

Thanks for the reply! The guy actually messaged me straight back and I immediately went over to look at it. I rode it up and down the street and was hooked. ;) I ended up snagging it for $550, which in my opinion was an amazing deal. It is in excelent condition - it looks brand new. I'm very happy with it and am keen to cycle more. On a side note, it's very different to ride (as I expected) than a normal mountain bike and much nicer.

My uni has these bike storage areas that are only accessible by swiping your ID card. (you initially pay a $20 fee to get access) I'm pretty sure they've got video cameras in there as well so I think it should be fine. I will also get a better lock cause I've only got a (what was sold to me as hard to crack) combo lock. I forgot what it was after not using it for a while, and having no experience, cracked it within a minute or two. :shock:

Any suggestions on particular locks to get? I was just going to get this (https://www.reidcycles.com.au/reid-d-lock.html) D lock from reid cycles as they're on sale at the moment. I was also looking at these (https://www.reidcycles.com.au/flr-f-35- ... shoes.html) shoes with cleats. Would those shoes be good for a "road bike beginner"?

Aldavid

Postby Aldavid » Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:22 am

Sounds like a fairly good buy, well done.
Locks, if you are looking at key/combo locks spend the most you can afford, money buys quality. If it is a wire type cable make sure it is a dual layup. Ie a straight multi wire cable overlaid by a coiled cable. This means you need 2 different tools to cut it. Bolt cutters for one and sidecutters for the other. Solid U locks are fairly hard to break. Unfortunately each manufacturer only produces up to abt 10 different keys for these. At the shop we collected , over 1 year, all the keys for 1 brand so we could free peoples bike if they lost a key. Not hard for a theif to do the same.
Shoes and cleats, probably a good idea to get used your bike a little first but once you do clip in you will never look back.
Best advice is to get a LBS to help set you up with this. You need to practise clipping in and out stationary for a while first with the tension settings wound right down, progressing to an empty car park to practice while moving without having to think about other traffic. Doesnt take too long but practice away from traffic is important.
Shoes, most gear made by Shimano is pretty good, hard to go to far wrong there. The shoes you are looking at are entry level but perfectly ok for someone starting out.

Cheers
If you dont know where you are going...how will you know when you get there !