Best value computer with cadence, HR all down-loadable?

TheShadow

Best value computer with cadence, HR all down-loadable?

Postby TheShadow » Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:53 pm

I don't need GPS function (but it may be unavoidable now).

Looking for something like what an older Polar unit would do, where you can download avg cadence, graph HR, total ride time. Pretty basic by today's standard, it seems. And, umm, Larger size digits on the display would be handy because I need reading glasses, but don't yet need regular glasses for getting around.

The Cateye Strada Smart seems to have gotten good reviews. It's quite cheap (compared to a Polar V650! :shock: ), especially since it comes with the necessary Blue Tooth cadence/HR sensors? Of course, you HAVE to carry a Smart Phone (in sleep mode to save the battery) to store and view your logged data...A smart phone can be relatively cheap these days. Perhaps you could download straight from cheap/small phone to regular PC anyway?

Is there anything else this cheap that does this job?

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Best value computer with cadence, HR all down-loadable?

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:42 pm

On BNA we have been reviewing the Bryton 100 (both the site and forum members) and although it has GPS, it comes with the Heart Rate Monitor and sensors which is why I am suggesting it.

You can get cycle computers that do speed and cadence, though once you go up to heart rate monitors, then this is where you typically see a price increase. If you are bring your own HRM and other sensors, check first to make sure your device is compatible.

While the Bryton is interesting, I believe that you will also find cheaper cycle computers without the GPS that do the job as well.
Cycling is in my BNA

TheShadow

Re: Best value computer with cadence, HR all down-loadable?

Postby TheShadow » Thu May 19, 2016 11:31 am

Well, after having a whinge to Polar about the lack of MS Windows 10 support of IRDa communication protocol for my expensive (5yrs ago) CS600X, Polar pointed out there was nothing they could do about it. They can't make a driver to do the job because MS simply decided to not include the 'building blocks' ("stacks: ? ) necessary for any software driver to work. (Those stacks WERE in initial releases of Windows 10, and then MS unilaterally decided to ditch them for the main release of W10 :| ) I suspect I'll be keeping an old PC just for the Polar HRM infra-red transfer ability for some time. :roll: I don't know how soon I'll get sick of that, though.

Anyway, Polar gave me a 50% voucher to use on any new Polar 'Flow' product, to be used in their expensive, non-discounted, online store - offer expiring end of this month. :| So I had a look at the Flow products Polar encouraged me to move to.

The Polar M450 does seem quite good. All the reviews even say it's very good value. With HR, Cadence, Speed sensors (and buying at online discounters!) - probably looking at min $355 for everything short of a power meter. Essentially it would do everything my embarrassingly expensive (did I really pay that much? :shock: ) CS600X now does, and a little more (it has GPS), for less than 75% of the price of my CS600X. Factoring the cadence sensor I had to get separately 5yrs ago, I think it works out at 60% of the cost!!! :shock: That's much, much better value, but still not cheap.

Then I discovered that Sigma make a pretty professional little computer that does everything my Polar CS600X does, and similarly DOES NOT have GPS. This is a niche market now it seems >>> quality (?), capable, data-storing, uploadable computers WITHOUT GPS. :?:
It's their Rox 5.0 and Rox 6.0 computers. I think I could get a Rox 5.0 with 3 sensors for $220. The Rox 6.0 (altimeter added) with 3 sensors is about $260. The 5.0 does everything I do on my current Polar (except altimeter). Sigma is a long-standing, big (German?) brand isn't it? I've seen them around for decades, but never owned one.

http://www.sigmasport.com/en/produkte/f ... u=features