First road bike

Barnes2452

First road bike

Postby Barnes2452 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:36 am

Hi everyone,
So I'm buying my first road bike. I'm new to this forum and apologise if this is a topic that's been repeated a hundred times. I want to spend about $2000 - $2500. I started at $600 - $800 looking at a bike to ride to work and maybe a bit of fitness. The more I keep reading and riding the more excited I get and the higher my budget goes so I need some help. I have had a test ride on a Domane 4.0 tiagra for $1999
Cboardman sls 9.0 10 spd 105 $1750
Domane 4.5 disc with a scratch $2999 ( a bit more expensive then I wanted)
2016 specialized Tarmac sport $2499 with $150 worth of accessories
2016 giant tcr advanced 2 $2299 with $230 worth of accessories
Merida scultura 4000 $1959
Cannondale synapse 5 105 $2500
I've got a quote for 2 felt bikes. Both 2014 models but brand new a Z5 $2000 and an F4 $2400.
Been a new rider they all feel like really nice bikes to ride. In Townsville we have dealers for all of the above brands except for felt I think. Please help. TIA

rodneycc

Re: First road bike

Postby rodneycc » Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:37 pm

Hi Mate, Nice healthy budget, that's what I like to see! :-) Firstly I think you might want to pay a little more attention to the geometry of each of the bikes. You probably don't want a race/performance Geo for commuting and fitness (you can - but probably not ideal) but rather Endurance Geo. So for example I'd be looking at the Giant Defy models rather than the TCR models and Also the Specialized Roubaix instead of the Tarmac. The Trek Domane and Cannondale Synapse are ok for Endurance (but you might want to read some of the stuff about the Trek bottom bracket that puts a lot of people off). Same deal with the Felt's, the Z5 is the Endurance and the F4 is the Race geo. I don't know a lot about the Merida or the Boardman but have heard good things about the Scultura 4000 (might be a little racey but not too bad).

The other big question is whether you want disc brakes or not. Its probably a good idea if you are commuting to work and catch a few unexpectant rainy days (or if you plan to ride all weather). You will probably find the Giant defy Advanced the cheapest out of the brand name bikes and there is a lot of bang for your buck there but go and test ride a whole bunch of them and see which one stands out. Good Luck!
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

Barnes2452

Postby Barnes2452 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:38 pm

Cheers for the advice. Yep I think I'm definitely looking for an endurance bike and maybe a few of the others are being pushed on me for availability more than suitability reasons. In saying that I'm pretty keen on some hill climbing too ( living in Townsville, castle hill or mount Stuart are some definite first up goals). I don't want to grow out of the bike too quickly so I'm thinking I want full carbon running 105 minimum but still trying to stay under $2500. If anyone has some more ideas or seen a bargain floating around Townsville or online throw them at me. Cheers

Bikermann

Postby Bikermann » Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:37 am

Barnes2452 wrote:The more I keep reading and riding the more excited I get and the higher my budget goes so I need some help.
Just stop reading, man! :D

softy

Postby softy » Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:46 pm

your mixing up a lot of different bikes....

first I would break it down to:
endurance eg:defy
or
race eg:TCR

Mostly the endurance bikes are more comfy and have easier gears with disc brakes
The race models have more aggressive geo and turn in much better, feel more alive and responsive.

Once you decide this, a large number will fall to one side, then you can narrow it down.

If your riding is touring and comfort go endurance, if you like to attack corners and push a racier bike may suit.

whatever you get I personally would make sure it is fitted with a compact crank 50/34 and at least a 28 or 32 biggest cog cassette on the back. then you can tackle hills without killing yourself until you get fitter.

Barnes2452

Postby Barnes2452 » Mon May 02, 2016 9:48 am

Cheers for the replies and good advice. I'm aware I've mixed up a few bikes here. Some of the lbs might be giving me inaccurate info depending on availability of certain bikes. Some of them saying that even though I'm after endurance bike some of these racier bikes would suit me simply because they have them in store. As well as just commuting I do want to do a lot of riding for fitness. As I said before the replies and advice I can get the better so keep throwing them at me. Thanks

tron07

Postby tron07 » Mon May 02, 2016 2:51 pm

Being your first bike, perhaps you might want to consider something cheaper, like Reid Falco Elite with 105 groupset... then you can always buy another full carbon a few years later as you will definitely itch for another bike (n+1) later on and this bike can be your workhorse or runabout. Also after a few years riding, you will know what sort of bike or riding you prefer, endurance, race, climber, etc...

With a cheaper bike you dont have to worry so much about locking it up at work, compare to a more expensive one.

Than again, you must get a bike you like to love, no point getting a cheaper one only to sell it off again in one year time, unless you search for a 2nd hand one and dont lost so much money in the process.

Barnes2452

Postby Barnes2452 » Sun May 08, 2016 4:40 pm

Cheers for the ideas mate. I've had a look at a few of the cheaper bikes. I really like the cell lapa 2.0 but they are sold out until September Australia wide apparently. Another bike that rated higher then the Reid was a polygon helios c5. All similar prices with similar specs. I also spotted the azzurri Verite team 2 which is full carbon and 105 components for just over $1000 which seems like a crazy price does anyone know about the bikes I've just mentioned?

liamw11

Postby liamw11 » Sun May 08, 2016 5:44 pm

I went to the LBS Friday and Giant are clearing their 2016 floor stock and can generally get 20-25% off RRP. For your price range the Giant Defy Advanced 2 presents good value. Advanced carbon layup, Shimano Ultegra groupset. Otherwise, if you wanted to go a bit racier the Cannondale CAAD12 105, although aluminium, won bike of the year 2016 and is within your price range.

Barnes2452

Postby Barnes2452 » Sun May 08, 2016 6:34 pm

Cheers man I'll have a look at those deals too.