Another looking for my first mountain bike thread

Ashurbanipal

Another looking for my first mountain bike thread

Postby Ashurbanipal » Sun May 08, 2016 8:15 pm

Hi Peeps,

Ive read some threads and the main one on buying a bike, im looking for a mountain bike to ride with my mates on weekends on a trail.

I use to have a Hybrid Trek was very happy with it but didnt end up using it much.

My budget is around 600-900 currently looking at the main brands i know Trek,Specialized and Giant. Ive noticed Giant and Specialized have a few different options in that price range its just so confusing. I wont need any accessories.

1) Trek MARLIN 6 29
$800
specs
Components
Saddle
Bontrager Evoke 1
Seatpost
Bontrager SSR, 2-bolt head, 27.2mm, 12mm offset
Handlebar
Bontrager Riser, 25.4mm, 15mm rise
Stem
Bontrager Approved, 25.4mm, 15 degree
Headset
1-1/8" threadless, semi-integrated, semi-cartridge bearings
Brakeset
Tektro M290 hydraulic disc brakes

2)Rockhopper 29
$900
BOTTOM BRACKET
Square taper, cartridge bearings
BRAKE LEVERS
Tektro Auriga, hydraulic, reach adjust
CASSETTE
Sunrace, 8-speed, 11-34t
CHAIN
KMC X8, 8-speed, w/ reusable MissingLink
CRANKSET
Specialized Stout, forged alloy, 8-speed, semi-replaceable rings, square taper spindle, 42/32/22T
FORK
Custom SR Suntour XCT 29, custom Multi-Circuit Damping, coil spring, S: 80mm travel, M/L/XL: 100mm travel, preload adjust, 1-1/8" steerer, alloy lowers, Hi-Ten 28mm stanchions, disc mount
FRAME
Specialized A1 Premium Aluminium, 29er geometry ORE downtube, butted tubesets, externally relieved headtube, forged dropouts, reinforced disc mount, replaceable alloy derailleur hanger
FRONT BRAKE
Tektro Auriga, hydraulic disc, resin/metallic pads
FRONT DERAILLEUR
Shimano Altus, high mount, bottom swing, dual pull
FRONT HUB
Specialized Stout, Hi Lo disc, alloy, double-sealed, ground race, QR, 32h
FRONT TYRE
Specialized Ground Control Sport, 60TPI, wire bead, 29x2.1"
GRIPS
Specialized Body Geometry XCT, Kraton w/ gel, lock-on, closed end
HANDLEBARS
Specialized Stout, flat bar, double-butted 6061 alloy, 10-degree backsweep, 4-degree upsweep, 31.8mm
HEADSET
1-1/8" upper/lower, ZeroStack 44, steel cups, loose ball bearings
INNER TUBES
Standard, Schrader valve
PEDALS
Plastic, 9/16", w/ reflectors
REAR BRAKE
REAR DERAILLEUR
Shimano Acera Shadow, 8-speed
REAR HUB
Specialized Stout, Hi Lo disc, alloy, double-sealed, loose ball bearings, QR, 32h
REAR TYRE
Specialized Ground Control Sport, 60TPI, wire bead, 29x2.1"
RIMS
29", disc, alloy, double-wall, pin joint, 25mm inner width, 32h
SADDLE
Body Geometry mountain, steel rails, 143mm
SEAT BINDER
Alloy, nylon/glass fibre washer, QR, 34.9mm
SEATPOST
Alloy, 2-bolt, micro-adjust, 12.5mm offset, 30.9mm, anti-corrosion hardware
SHIFT LEVERS
Shimano Altus RapidFire Plus, SL type, optical display
SPOKES
Stainless, 14g
STEM
Specialized, 3D forged alloy, 4-bolt, 6-degree rise

3)Giant Talon 27.5 3
$900
Specs
Frame ALUXX-grade aluminium
Fork SR Suntour XCM w/ hydraulic lockout & preload adjuster, 100mm travel
Shock N/A
COMPONENTS
Handlebar Giant Connect XC, Low rise, 31.8mm
Stem Giant Sport
Seatpost Giant Sport, 30.9mm
Saddle Giant Connect, upright
Pedals MTB Caged
DRIVETRAIN
Shifters Shimano Altus, 27sp
Front Derailleur Shimano Altus
Rear Derailleur Shimano Acera
Brakes Tektro HDM290, Hydraulic disc, 160mm
Brake Levers Tektro HDM 290, Hydraulic disc
Cassette Shimano HG200 11-34T, 9sp
Chain KMC X9
Crankset FSA Dynadrive, 22-32-44T
Bottom Bracket FSA, Sealed
WHEELS
Rims Giant Alloy, Double wall
Hubs Giant Sport Tracker Disc, 32h
Spokes Stainless Steel, 14g
Tires Maxxis Ikon, 27.5x2.2"

Any help will be greatly appreciated apologies for the long thread but i wanted to listed all the specs so its easier to read\compare.

Thanks

trailgumby

Re: Another looking for my first mountain bike thread

Postby trailgumby » Sun May 08, 2016 10:24 pm

The forks on all of those leave a lot to be desired. Harsh and heavy. Can you up your budget?

For a hardtail, forget 27.5. It's Giant's attempt to force a new wheel size fashion on an unsuspecting buying public.

27.5 only becomes advantageous over 29 once you get past about 140mm travel and dual suspension, where the big wheels/long travel combination becomes challenging for designers to get the desired geometries.

Ashurbanipal

Postby Ashurbanipal » Mon May 09, 2016 7:00 am

Thanks for the reply, i guess I could squeeze another $200
I just didn't want to make the same mistake with my hybrid. If I enjoy the sport probably end up getting a better bike next year.

What about the Rockhopper Sport 29? Much difference? Anything you recommend ?

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Mon May 09, 2016 9:23 am

1. Forks. Forgt any forks in that range, just put aside $350 for a set of rock shox xc30 gold and ignore the rest of the specs. Entry level forks at this range are indistinguishable rubbish.

2. Groupset. Ignore this. This is mtb and the gears will get chewed faster than road. If you ride enough you will probably replace as you go. Also you probably will want a cluched rear derailleur soon which will prompt a gearset upgrade that can't be bought at your price range (they are realtively cheap as parts though).

3. 27.5v29. Unless you are short, then 29 for a hardtail.

I'd take the Trek. However, have a look at other brands and in lower price points. If you drop the fork comparison and the groupset, then you can go to a much lower price point and upgrade parts yourself (or ask lbs to do it).
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

Ashurbanipal

Postby Ashurbanipal » Mon May 09, 2016 9:34 am

Thanks Calvin, yeah i am short 5'4 . Sorry should have mentioned that.

I was thinking if there isn't much difference between the $500 compared to $1000 then i may as well get the $500 bike and upgrade later on if it gets serious.

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Mon May 09, 2016 9:57 am

Ashurbanipal wrote:Thanks Calvin, yeah i am short 5'4 . Sorry should have mentioned that.

I was thinking if there isn't much difference between the $500 compared to $1000 then i may as well get the $500 bike and upgrade later on if it gets serious.
Well the brakes would be the first thing. At $500 it will probably be cable. Not sure about how good the tektros. Most MTBrs run shimano and a minority complain about avids/sram. A set of deore brakes will cost you $120, these are not too pricey and will do the job more than adequately.

I'd go for the Giant in your case.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

ianganderton

Postby ianganderton » Mon May 09, 2016 11:11 am

You haven't mentioned where you want to ride, what sort of riding inspires you to want to get into mountain biking or who you will be riding with

Unless you have answers to these questions you won't use your bike much I'm afraid

The riding that is on your door step will be where you first start using the bike most (unless you have a specific plan). What sort of riding is around

What inspires you? Is it the journey? The social aspect? The feeling? Racing? It's really worth asking yourself why you fancy this mountain biking game and coming up with some initial answers

Are you planning to ride by yourself or with others? If you have folks you are keen to ride with then you will be better off getting something very very similar to what they have as that's going to be what you end up with anyway. Ideally you have a group to ride with in mind as this will significantly increase your chances of getting good use out of any bike you buy

Lastly just have it your head that what ever bike you buy now is just something to get you started. It's pretty much guaranteed that if you get good use out of it you will quite quickly outgrow any entry level bike and want something else more suited to the answers you find to my initial questions. To that end don't worry too much about the bikes you've listed above, they are all pretty much of a muchness so all good bikes. Buy the one you like the most after riding it round the carpark a bit

Any good bike shop will ask you the questions above and give you some good options. Go to as many bike shops as you can and talk to them about the questions I've asked. Good shops will be able to help you get out on trails with people and maybe on a suitable hire or demo bike too. Try before you buy is always always always a good idea
NOT sent from tapatalk

Usernoname

Postby Usernoname » Mon May 09, 2016 12:00 pm

Essentially the Talon 27.5.2 http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-au/bik ... ifications is an entry level mountain bike. The 1 is a steep up with upgrades well beyond the difference. Anything below the 2 is a RECREATIONAL bike. I know that these are above your budget, but if you want a MTB then that's what you have to spend. I still have my 2007 Giant alais probably equivalent to the 2) and it's had a lot of use. The lower spec HT i had before that just got dumped, not worth upgrading and unsellable. With something like the Talon 2 you can move up to a dual sus bike later and transfer the parts across and upgrade the dually. My alais now has the wheels from my spesh epic and fork, bars, seat from a previous dually.
Aus motorists are safe to kill a cyclist at any time & confident that they will be protected from any serious penalties.

Ashurbanipal

Postby Ashurbanipal » Mon May 09, 2016 12:54 pm

ianganderton wrote:You haven't mentioned where you want to ride, what sort of riding inspires you to want to get into mountain biking or who you will be riding with

Unless you have answers to these questions you won't use your bike much I'm afraid

The riding that is on your door step will be where you first start using the bike most (unless you have a specific plan). What sort of riding is around

What inspires you? Is it the journey? The social aspect? The feeling? Racing? It's really worth asking yourself why you fancy this mountain biking game and coming up with some initial answers

Are you planning to ride by yourself or with others? If you have folks you are keen to ride with then you will be better off getting something very very similar to what they have as that's going to be what you end up with anyway. Ideally you have a group to ride with in mind as this will significantly increase your chances of getting good use out of any bike you buy

Lastly just have it your head that what ever bike you buy now is just something to get you started. It's pretty much guaranteed that if you get good use out of it you will quite quickly outgrow any entry level bike and want something else more suited to the answers you find to my initial questions. To that end don't worry too much about the bikes you've listed above, they are all pretty much of a muchness so all good bikes. Buy the one you like the most after riding it round the carpark a bit

Any good bike shop will ask you the questions above and give you some good options. Go to as many bike shops as you can and talk to them about the questions I've asked. Good shops will be able to help you get out on trails with people and maybe on a suitable hire or demo bike too. Try before you buy is always always always a good idea
thank you, will definitely go to a few bike shops and talk to people, the type of riding i will be doing is trail on weekends with mates.
No extreme DH and not street riding eg commuting etc etc.

ianganderton

Postby ianganderton » Mon May 09, 2016 1:06 pm

Ashurbanipal wrote:
ianganderton wrote:You haven't mentioned where you want to ride, what sort of riding inspires you to want to get into mountain biking or who you will be riding with

thank you, will definitely go to a few bike shops and talk to people, the type of riding i will be doing is trail on weekends with mates.
What bikes have your mates got? Which trails?
NOT sent from tapatalk

Ashurbanipal

Postby Ashurbanipal » Mon May 09, 2016 1:25 pm

ianganderton wrote:
Ashurbanipal wrote:

one mate has a santa cruz heckler other one has a Giant 2009 hard tail no idea of the model bought it online 2nd hand.

track they go to is below.

https://www.westernsydneyparklands.com. ... mtb-trail/

ianganderton

Postby ianganderton » Mon May 09, 2016 1:45 pm

Ashurbanipal wrote:
ianganderton wrote:
Ashurbanipal wrote:
one mate has a santa cruz heckler other one has a Giant 2009 hard tail no idea of the model bought it online 2nd hand.

Cool

The hard tails you've listed will be fine at Wylde to get you started. Other places in the area will also be fine. e.g legal trails at Loftus, the Oaks or Manly dam. It is the case though that the more you spend the better the bike you'll get. You can always spend more but the best bike is the one you can ride now

Because you are under 5' 10" my recommendation would be for 650b (27.5). You are more likely to get the bars etc in the right place but go to lots of bike stores and sit on/ride some bikes in your price range (avoid ones outside your price range unless you are prepare to spend the cash). This is the most valuable thing you can do right now. You will be surprised what you find out about the way different bikes fit (what feels right is right)

When talking to shop staff ask them where they like to ride. If they can't answer the question talk to someone else

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sydneymtb/ Organise group rides including beginner intermediate and advanced

Hope this helps
NOT sent from tapatalk

Ashurbanipal

Postby Ashurbanipal » Mon May 09, 2016 2:32 pm

^ legend thank you.

Ashurbanipal

Postby Ashurbanipal » Fri May 13, 2016 2:21 pm

Went to my local store and tried a specialized really happy with it and its on sale atm.

Specialized Pitch Comp 650B 2016 from $950 down to $750

Sepcs

FRAME
Specialized A1 Premium Aluminum, Sport Trail 650b Geometry, butted tube sets, externally relieved head tube, forged dropouts, reinforced disc mount, replaceable alloy derailleur hanger

FORK
Custom SR Suntour XCM 650b, custom Multi-Circuit Damping, coil spring, S: 80mm travel, M/L/XL: 100mm travel, preload adjust, 1-1/8" steerer, alloy lowers, Hi-Ten 30mm stanchions, disc mount
HEADSET
1-1/8" upper/lower, ZeroStack 44, steel cups, loose ball bearings
STEM
Specialized, 3D forged alloy, 4-bolt, 6-degree rise
HANDLEBARS
Specialized Stout, double-butted 6061 alloy, 9-degree backsweep, 5-degree upsweep, 15mm rise, 31.8mm
FRONT DERAILLEUR
Shimano Altus, high mount, bottom swing, dual pull
REAR DERAILLEUR
Shimano Acera Shadow, 9-speed
SWAT
REAR SHOCK
FRONT BRAKE
REAR BRAKE
LEVERS
Tektro Auriga, hydraulic, reach adjust
SHIFTERS
Shimano Altus RapidFire Plus, SL type, optical display
CASSETTE
Sunrace, 9-speed, 11-34t
CHAIN
KMC X9, 9-speed, w/ reusable MissingLink
CRANKSET
Specialized Stout, forged alloy, 9-speed, square taper spindle, 44/32/22T
CHAINRINGS
BOTTOM BRACKET
Square taper, cartridge bearings
PEDALS
Plastic, 9/16", w/ reflectors
FRONT WHEEL
REAR WHEEL
TYRE
Specialized Ground Control Sport, 60TPI, wire bead, 650bx2.1"
SADDLE
Body Geometry mountain, thick padding, steel rails, 143mm
SEATPOST
Alloy, 2-bolt, micro-adjust, 12.5mm offset, 30.9mm, anti-corrosion hardware
RIMS
Specialized Stout 650b, disc, alloy, double-wall, pin joint, 25mm inner width, 32h
FRONT HUB
Specialized Stout, Hi Lo disc, alloy, double-sealed, ground race, QR, 32h
REAR HUB
Specialized Stout, Hi Lo disc, alloy, double-sealed, loose ball bearings, QR, 32h
SPOKES
Stainless, 14g

ianganderton

Postby ianganderton » Fri May 13, 2016 2:55 pm

If you like it and you are happy with the price I'd suggest buying it :)

The bike you can ride now is better than any in a shop.

Weather forecast for this weekend is great for riding
NOT sent from tapatalk

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri May 13, 2016 9:03 pm

Ashurbanipal wrote:one mate has a santa cruz heckler other one has a Giant 2009 hard tail no idea of the model bought it online 2nd hand.

One of my favourite XC trails in Sydney. Very fast and flowy, with only one tricky off-camber corner. It's not actually off-camber, but your bike is light after coming up a rise at speed onto flat and you have to turn immediately to the right. You'll know it when you come to it. :D

The pump rollers and berms in the first half of the lap are an absolute hoot. With enough speed from a good pump the last pair become doubles. w00t! :lol:

Just beware of one thing - the traction goes away very fast at the slightest hint of moisture.

A hardtail will be fine there. You'll have a lot of fun.