Tall people, big feet..Australia doesn't cater for us..

foz

Tall people, big feet..Australia doesn't cater for us..

Postby foz » Mon May 09, 2016 3:20 pm

Hi to all..as the title says..try buying a simple pair of gloves..or a new pair of road shoes bigger than 46..or at least being able to try size on , to then order a pair in..don't talk about socks..never fit..

If you want to order a new bike..not Compact Frames..conventional horizontal framesets.

The only way to do this is to buy from overseas..England has the best range..some off the shelf..
How many tall people in Australia, compared to UK..love to see the stats..

The drawbacks are not being able to see first hand the product,,freight ..import duties..
A large crack has developed in my downtube..so time to go shopping.
Place usually order from, has now stopped making my size..instead of spending a smaller amount..will have to be a lot more..
Lots in the US..freight is to high..

Have ridden compact framed bikes, in my opinion they are to dangerous to ride..steering and balance is all wrong on large frames..

Anyway the purpose of this thread is..To all the tall people out there..what about posting where you are able to purchase products that fit..

Thanks for reading this... :D

foz

Re: Tall people, big feet..Australia doesn't cater for us..

Postby foz » Tue May 10, 2016 2:38 pm

Are there no tall cyclists in Australia with big feet, that read BNA?

silentC

Postby silentC » Tue May 10, 2016 3:09 pm

Well I thought I was at 6'1" with size 11 feet but as I don't have any trouble buying clothes and shoes I mustn't be!
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

foz

Postby foz » Tue May 10, 2016 3:26 pm

Thanks for taking time to post reply silentC.

I wish I had size 11..instead of size 15..Always wore shorts..as long pants when I was growing up , were never long enough..still aren't..have to get them made..

foz

Postby foz » Tue May 10, 2016 3:31 pm

Dolan bikes UK have a clearance frameset for 179.99 pounds.

http://www.dolan-bikes.com/deals/frames ... fr413.html..

Don't know how to post a picture..sorry

foz

Postby foz » Tue May 10, 2016 3:37 pm

http://www.colossicycling.com/products/ ... _road.html

They make frames up to size 66..both fixed and road.not in all models..

http://www.colossicycling.com/products/

TheWall

Postby TheWall » Tue May 10, 2016 4:42 pm

foz wrote:Are there no tall cyclists in Australia with big feet, that read BNA?
Depends on the definition of tall and feet size really...clothing is easier than shoes in my opinion.

I am 192cm (approx 6'4) and now weigh at 95-96kg (but started out at 117kg in June 2014 :shock:) and I wear 11's (46-47's)...so yes, much bigger than the avge cyclist (they wait for me at the top of hills ha ha) but there are plenty of people out there taller and/or wider than me.

But I can only talk for me...
Clothing: Started out buying stuff online and a bit of hit and miss I have worked out where I need to be.
- Tops: now into Castelli XXL and even an XL except their really tight stuff like the climber's jersey. I am returning the XXXL Climbers I bought last week from Open Road Cycles (amazing service btw) as I felt like a sausage! I seem to be an XL now in other ranges such as Foska and Specialized. My older winter gear is XXL Endura and Exteondo and it is too big for me now.
- Bottoms: I have bought new Knicks since I have been sub 100kg (as my Specialized LBS has regular sales and helps to be able to try before buy) so I went XL in their range. Great bibs and fit. I updated winter last year and got Specialized 3/4's in XL which are amazing and also picked up Castelli Nanoflex in XXXL and they are great-would have been ummm...awkward trying to get into these at my old 110kg+!!!but there is an image you did not need ha ha!
- Shoes. Have tried many LBS's and they never have stock of 45+. After failing with Shimano with width issues I found the Sidi Genius Mega range and I first guessed at a size 47 online which now I only use in winter as I can wear thick socks to pad them out as they are a fraction too big...so I then narrowed it down to the 46.5 which are great with summer socks. Very happy with these shoes and each pair would now have 8000klm+ on them and they are both still fantastic.

As for good shops...I am dealing with Open Road Cycles atm re clothing (as mentioned above) and they know their products really well and they are happy to chat via email or phone. Next day delivery as well was a welcome change for an Aussie store.

Hope that helps!?!

Matt

vnbozza

Postby vnbozza » Wed May 11, 2016 1:11 pm

Tall - yes - 6ft5
Big Feet -- yes - size 49
Bargain Hunter - yes

So --- all three above points are not a good combination

First off bikes - I have a few friends my size as well - they tend to favour Cannondale or Trek as they can relatively easily get 61 and 63cm bikes - however, IMHO, they look terrible, the headtube's are massive and lose proportions at this size and begin to look ugly - however they apparently ride very well, so end of the day, handling is what counts. (also note these are American brands - they tend not to assume every cyclist is 50kgs)
Personally, I ride Focus bikes - whether this is marketing hype or real deal, but they say each frame size in the range is individually engineered to ensure same stiffness etc.. (STABLE STIFFNESS PER SIZE/SSPS) - to me, my Focus Izalco Max in XXL 61cm looks in proportion, not oversized - and the handling is spot on - and are not overly hard to source here from a LBS

Clothes\Shoes - well, and this doesn't just go for cycling - but online is my friend, as if you are lucky enough to find something instore, chances are it is never on special or at reasonable price. Alternatively, they have to order it in, which can weeks\months. So sorry local store, it just rarely feasible I use you for clothing\shoes.

So - Once I establish what size I am in a brand, I tend to stock up - for example I recently found Pushys had some shoes in my size marked well under half price, so brought three pairs, then found Wiggle had some as well very cheap, so brought another two - crazy, but I had spend 12 months prior trying to find anything in my size in LBS and online at a reasonable price without luck. I might have gone overboard here, so might have a sale soon ;-)

End of the day, what frustrates me the most, is a lot of "boutique" cycling clothes brands in Australia don't make an XXL - there is so much cool kit I would love to wear that just isn't made in my size, I have emailed some of them asking next batch to throw in a handful of XXL, I guarantee they will sell and they won't be stuck with them, but to no avail. I know unofficially strategically they probably don't want 200 kilo plus unhealthy riders wearing there kit, but there are some healthy people out there at my height and weight that can put in some big km's, big watt bombs and an successful Everest

End of the day I am lucky that the likes of Assos\Rapha\Castelli\Ale do make an XXL - and all are relatively easy to obtain online and regularly are on sale.

brawlo

Postby brawlo » Wed May 11, 2016 4:00 pm

I'm tall at 196cm and a largish foot, taking a 48. I never had a problem with shoes. My LBS that has now burned down always had some stock of up to 48-50 to try and could always order in to suit. Bikes on the other hand were on a buy in basis. Up until recently I was on a 61cm Felt F4, but have now gone up to a XXXL Canyon CFSL. This was a great move in terms of comfort, but my fitter has said that the reality of the situation is that I should actually go for a bigger frame in the future, but only slightly bigger, and that means a custom job. I have long arms and legs.

I've never had a problem with clothing. The stretchiness of lycra has seem me ok in 3XL and 2XL offerings from various companies. I have done my background research first though into recommendations from larger riders. I currently ride a combination of PI, Castelli, De Marchi and Assos in longs. I have a heap of cheap Chinese jerseys that fit fine, but I have had trouble with some name brand jerseys as I have a really broad chest..... and a decent gut.

tron07

Postby tron07 » Thu May 12, 2016 2:36 pm

there are no size for people with small feet as well... lol

TrikeTragic

Postby TrikeTragic » Thu May 12, 2016 5:11 pm

Bikes: Give 'em up, no issue with "size accumulated" folk on recumbent trikes!
Clothes & shoes: can't comment, I'm bigger than average but not THAT big!

Cheers

Alan
Alan
BentCyclist

foz

Postby foz » Fri May 13, 2016 2:15 pm

Hi..thanks to all who posted.
It must be hard..as tron07..said..small feet..probably no choice either ..
ABC cycle clothing have larger sizes..not sure on smaller sizes..

http://www.abcoutlets.com.au/shop/

RhapsodyX

Postby RhapsodyX » Fri May 13, 2016 2:52 pm

I'm 6'2" with relatively long legs, my "go to" cheap frame would be a Ribble Winter/Audax alloy, for big/tall clothing, I've used Aerotech Designs in the US. My shoes are cheap Shimano road in 47 wide - easy to get from the UK and cheap enough that I didn't mind trying them sight unseen. Getting wide shoes in Australia is virtually impossible.

vnbozza

Postby vnbozza » Fri May 13, 2016 2:54 pm

Forgot to add my biggest gripe - and this is aimed at the online shops

So many of them do not have a size filter - you have to go into each individual item to see if they have your size is stock - this is another reason I like sites like Pushy's and Torpedo7 - so easy to find in stock items in your size.

foz

Postby foz » Fri May 13, 2016 5:48 pm

Hi RhapsodyX..
I have a 64 cm in a Ribble frame..good ride for the price..
Have found a Supplier in Aus that has 62 and 64 on special..you wouldn't believe the price.
I have one of those and about to buy another..for later..or spare frame..until needed.
Had a frame crack on downtube the other day ..
I find some shoes, fit well..then they change the sizing.
Resurrected..with supa glue a good pair of Time shoes, so that will give me a few months more ..
Find that XXXL from UK is a bit tight..be ok if was 20 years old..haha

Ribble have stopped making a 64 in the Race frame( horizontal) going to get one made in steel from Bob Jackson(UK)..
Vnbozza..I know what you mean about size filters, for shoes..if you take the innersoles out.sometimes just enough for a better fit..
Thanks for the comments..

Carrots

Postby Carrots » Thu May 19, 2016 5:07 pm

My grumble....... Shoes tend to stop at 48. Quality shoes that is. Or if they do come in a 49 they're a loooooong bloody wait!

baabaa

Postby baabaa » Thu May 19, 2016 6:07 pm

helps if the owner is also tall....
http://viventebikes.com/ and http://viventebikes.com/actual-dimensions-and-geometry/
and while not in oz
http://zinncycles.com/Zinn/project-big-series/
but yes, I agree with riding bikes too small ( compacts) and it is hard going even finding bikes bigger than 60cm top tube (effective) in store. That said, I have had good luck ordering/ buying frames from shops that care based on geo and then building them up with wider bars, longer stems and longer seat posts....I am light and lanky so can get away with most run of the mill drive train parts but do tend to get my wheels built up. Cranks are always an issue as I do like 180mm.
Shoes, if I see them and can make them fit I just buy them as find the brands all run anything above 46 at different sizes and widths. Half sizes above 46 would help.
My goat gets active with clothes, as I need the length in torso but not the width, cold days are hard on the kidneys unless you can get stuff with a long tail, Ground effect stuff seems to work for me.

jack11

Postby jack11 » Thu May 19, 2016 7:44 pm

I wear size 48 wide shimano road shoes. I have found that Cyc'd for Bikes in Brisbane often carries up to size 51 in some of the Shimano shoes. No idea if they ship or not, but might be an option?

Gondor

Postby Gondor » Fri May 20, 2016 9:24 am

I recently went from 48s to 49s and back to 48.5s from my LBS. They didn't have my size in all ranges of shoes, but 49 was their highest.

They are a Specialized store, so that's some useful information.

RhapsodyX

Postby RhapsodyX » Fri May 20, 2016 4:51 pm

foz wrote:Hi RhapsodyX..
I have a 64 cm in a Ribble frame..good ride for the price..
Have found a Supplier in Aus that has 62 and 64 on special..you wouldn't believe the price.
Do tell - who/where/how much?

foz

Postby foz » Fri May 20, 2016 6:12 pm

Hi Rhapsodyx..what size do you need..they are conventional .horizontal top tube..

I have to order one, been busy , forgot, thought I had..
Will order tomorrow..in case you get the one I need..
Seriously what size do you need?

RhapsodyX

Postby RhapsodyX » Sat May 21, 2016 8:08 am

foz wrote:Hi Rhapsodyx..what size do you need..they are conventional .horizontal top tube..

I have to order one, been busy , forgot, thought I had..
Will order tomorrow..in case you get the one I need..
Seriously what size do you need?
I'll be getting another 64cm, but not for a few months (as a spare), my current one is only four weeks old (and... 1,617km). Hmmm.... no wonder the old one cracked!

foz

Postby foz » Sat May 21, 2016 9:59 am

Hi Rhapsodyx,
It good to have a spare frame, especially a 64cm..they are very hard to get anywhere..

If you can send me a PM with your email address( I can't seem to get PM's working for me)
Will send you contact information and price.
Once I set my bike up same as other ones, can't tell the difference..biggest issue for me was Campag ergo lever shape, new shape different to old one.Changed levers perfect..

Cheers

am50em

Postby am50em » Sat May 21, 2016 7:20 pm

After many years finally got around to setting the disc brake levers on the mountain bike for one finger operation. (Had to remove the gear indicator of the shifters first.) Now with brakes and shifter set there is large gap of empty handlebar between the grips and the shifters. Plus having large hands that always rest on the lock ring decide to look for some longer (and fatter) grips. Came across these ones https://www.uberbikecomponents.com/view ... ip-Builder which look like they will fit the bill. Ordered and will review after they have arrived.