New Pedals: Which ones?

westcoastcycler

New Pedals: Which ones?

Postby westcoastcycler » Mon May 09, 2016 8:29 pm

Hi all,

I currently have a Merida CX4 and would like to replace my Crank Bros Eggbeaters as I am now doing more road cycling than I had anticipated. I'd like to stay with something that is still suitable for some off road as I plan do do some CX events and do ride off road once every 2 weeks or so. I'm also wondering if the Crank Bros Eggbeaters are contributing to my peroneal tendonitis and thus want more stability out of a pedal.

So does anyone have some recommendations on pedal type?

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: New Pedals: Which ones?

Postby AUbicycles » Mon May 09, 2016 8:52 pm

I suggest going to a fitter. I know that is not directly answering your question however if you have issues, you will want to know how much float you should have and also the stack height, if the height of the cleats are identical plus the best cleat position.

With this, along with your riding requirements, you can make a better selection. The Speedplays have an Pavé model which is 'semi' off-road but not cyclocross - so I think that if you are facing walking section for your training and racing, that you still may not go for a road style cleat and pedal.
Cycling is in my BNA

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Mon May 09, 2016 8:57 pm

Also look at Shimano's "Trail" range of SPD pedals. They use the same basic double-sided principle as the traditional MTB pedals (which they now call "Race" to differentiate the two designs), but have a slightly wider and longer body to improve stability.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

Sparx

Postby Sparx » Tue May 10, 2016 9:04 am

I can't comment if your pedals are causing you issues but Shimano XT Trail (with a bit of a platform) or XT Race (with no platform) are pretty much the most reliable off-road pedals around - you should get years of trouble free use from them.

I use mine for road riding also.