Avanti Aggressor 2 vs Merida mats trial 300 or Big 7

Mcgrec

Avanti Aggressor 2 vs Merida mats trial 300 or Big 7

Postby Mcgrec » Fri May 13, 2016 6:49 am

Hiya,

Looking at upgrading from an older Malvern Star hack to a good cond second hand bike.
Have found an Avanti Aggressor 2, Merida mats trial 300, Merida Big 7 all for around the same price range 550-680.
Would like to hear your thoughts on best one for value. Will be hitting the trails around Marg River area with my 11yo son, so will need to keep up with him!

Thanks

Duck!
Expert

Re: Avanti Aggressor 2 vs Merida mats trial 300 or Big 7

Postby Duck! » Fri May 13, 2016 9:17 am

Give us a bit more detail on vintage & specs of the bikes & we'll be able to help you out.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

Mcgrec

Postby Mcgrec » Fri May 13, 2016 8:42 pm

Avanti Aggressor 2 apparently new never ridden, xl frame 26 wheels, rock shocks air suspension, 27 speed xt, deore gearing, hyd brakes

Merida matts trial 300 fairly new apparently, 21 frame, 26 wheels, techno forming system , ra elite 6061 all alloy frame,alexrims,trial tyres,suntour forks hydraulic with lockouts. Draco callipers hydraulic disc brakes ,venture o seat shimano cranks,gears, jockey hyperglide,drink bottle holder,27 speeds, bbe grips pro bars,alivio shifters.

Merida Big 7, fairly new also apparently 17 inch frame

My specs, I'm 6ft and around 95kgs

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri May 13, 2016 8:46 pm

26er. I'd pass.

I suppose somebody has to ride the older bikes, but I wouldn't be paying much for the privilege. The current bigger wheel sizes ride so much better.

Mcgrec

Postby Mcgrec » Fri May 13, 2016 9:15 pm

Ok Cheers, by 26er do you mean wheel sizes? just found these also

Merida Big 9 40 29er for ~$600 on gumtree
Its a standard maridia big 9 21inch rims i think im 6.1foot bought it for me from bike force so not the biggest frame the next one down i think i have all original paper work that came with it front shocks are ajustable from solid to soft gears are shimano i think brakes are tektro huydrolic disc
From what I read quickly on net it may be a nice entry level bike for the right price?

2008 Giant glory dh1, Medium size
Dual suspension, Hydraulic brakes, 9x1 Speed, Tyres 26x2.30
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/gosnells ... 1112695353
Last edited by Mcgrec on Sat May 14, 2016 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri May 13, 2016 11:11 pm

YEs, wheel size. 26ers have been the mainstay of the of the off-road category for a couple of decades but from 2012 and onwards it changed. First to 29er. Then for longer suspension travel bikes (150mm and up) the 27.5" size gave a good proportion of the advantage of 29ers without the compromises on geometry. 29ers still rule XC and will likley stay as the bigger wheels are more efficient over uneven surfaces.

Almost no mainstream manufacturers are releasing 26" wheel size bikes - nobody is buying them.

I'd also steer clear of Down Hill bikes (like the Glory) as they will be heavy and hard to pedal, and expensive to maintain, They're designed to handle the abuse of high speed descending over *very* rough terrain, where gravity dos most of the work. Getting the most out of them requires well above average bike handling skills, body armour, full-face helmets and a tolerance for sometimes heavy crashes. Something to work up to if that's your thing, I'd suggest not somewhere to start unless you have advanced motorcross skills.

For most people looking for fitness and fun a 29er hardtail or short-to-mid travel (between 100mm and 130mm) dual suspension bike is the go-to style of bike.

However, I'm coming from the position of an enthusiast who typically rides well over 100km a week, sometimes 250km+ and uses his bikes a lot. If you're not as demanding of your equipment, and won't use it as much as say I would, then a DH bike might be a bit of fun. A cushy lounge chair of a bike that will be slow to pedal, but it will definitely impress your son's friends ;)

Mcgrec

Postby Mcgrec » Sat May 14, 2016 8:41 pm

OK thanks for the advice mate, now I will keep an eye out for reasonably priced 27.5 or 29ers.

This is a Merida Big 9 40 looks like entry level gear but if I can get for under $500 should be a good start?
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/armadale ... 1112830467
This Apollo Aspire 20 27.5
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/maddingt ... 1111858034
What are your thoughts on these and if it required upgrades what would I be outlaying.

Thanks

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat May 14, 2016 9:32 pm

The Merida looks good for the money although I'd prefer more and clearer photos. Looks relatively new. Includes a rack, which you can remove for recreational riding but is handy to have.

Regarding upgrades, I'd just be putting on some good quality tyres. The rest looks fine for your intended use. There are things you can do to improve performance, but just riding, learning to handle your bike on loose surfaces, and improving your fitness will keep you busy for most of the next year. :)

Both look to be small size frames. Which brings me to the most important aspect of any bike purchase... will it fit you? No good buying a bike that is too small or too big. Neither listing indicates frame size, although I'm guessing medium or small .

How tall are you? If taller than about 5'10" in the old scale (178cm) I suspect they may be too small, especially the 27.5. And if that's the case that's OK - there will be other good deals along soon with frames the right size. Give the seller a call and enquire about the size of the frame, and how tall they are / the bike's owner is. Then you can report back here and get an opinion from us.

Anyway, time for bed for me... gotta get up early tomorrow to go ride ;)

Mcgrec

Postby Mcgrec » Sun May 15, 2016 12:00 am

I'm 6ft, seller says he's 6,1 and it's the second biggest frame so should be all good for the merida. Cheers