Sppedplay Zero v. Light Action

trailgumby

Sppedplay Zero v. Light Action

Postby trailgumby » Sun May 15, 2016 6:04 pm

March last year I badly rolled my ankle and did some serious damage that resulted in me being relegated to crutches for a couple of weeks with a grade 2 sprain. I ended up not needing a moon boot but the situation has not fully resolved.Since then I've been having problems with the ankle swelling up noticeably by the end of the day.

I think the release force required by my Speedplay Zero pedals is contributing by causing re-injury.

My question is this: how much easier to get in and out are the Speedplay Light Action pedals? Would they be comparable with say Shimano SPD mountain bike pedals?

Thanks for your help.

rodneycc

Re: Sppedplay Zero v. Light Action

Postby rodneycc » Sun May 15, 2016 10:02 pm

I run light action on all my bikes. I love em. Reckon they are even easier than mtb m780 xt pedals. I'm surprised you think zeros are hard to get in and out of as I would of put them about the same as xt pedals or not a lot in it.

I guess you have tried all the tricks eg oiling, loosening the screws etc. Another little trick that works a treat with speedplay specific shoes but also with base plates is to cut out from an old plastic milk bottle the shape of the cleat ( gets a little tricky cutting out slits where the screws go) but stick that in between so the pedal body can slide on it and that gives a really clean in and out effortlessly. I've got that setup on my sidi wire speedplay specific shoes with light action and it works extremely well. I also have a pair of sidi ergo 3s, 3 bolt with base plate and can't see why it couldn't work the same if you put the plastic cut out in between the base plate and the cleat top plate. I'd maybe try this with your zeros first.

Then there are the Frogs but I didn't like them because they were too loose and didn't know if I was actually in or out they were so light to unclip!

Edit: make that base plate, plastic bottle cutout, then the two top plates!
btw the plastic milk bottle protectors originally comes from a replacement for the very expensive carbon shoe shoe protector but I swear it also makes a difference in the ease of clipping and unclipping.
And yes the big thing I forgot to add was that in the Light action there is no angle adjustment like in the zero's as the others have pointed out (but my knees love the max float).
And another bit of useless info is that Mr Speedplay (forgot his name but the inventor) prefer's to use Light action over Zero's.
Last edited by rodneycc on Mon May 16, 2016 1:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Mon May 16, 2016 9:54 am

They are hard to compare to SPD pedals as all that I've had have adjustable tension.

I run Zeros, and they are fine for me. However, I've recommended light action to several female friends and they all love them. They are **very** light. Also they did a change a little while back and they are now even lighter apparently.

The only thing I would say is could it be the angle that you have to deflect? Speedplay have more float than most systems so you have to move a long way to unclip. On Zero's you can adjust this float. On light action you can't.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon May 16, 2016 10:00 am

Having used all three pedals you mentioned, my experience is that mtb spds are far easy to clip in and out than Speedplay Light Avtion pedals. Also, as mentioned, the release angle on the Light Action pedals is huge. I didn't like this at all.

tomee

Postby tomee » Mon May 16, 2016 10:04 am

i came from SPD and then went to the ultra light action and i now prefer the speedplays.
just stomp down and you're in.

i'd say the unclipping is about the same as far as i can remember.
i think it has something to do with the angle you are exiting out

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Mon May 16, 2016 10:24 am

I am currently riding these and have a review soon.

Clipping in is easy, in terms of the force required, but I havn't yet found them to be super easy. Specifically, it is taking time to identify the right position and I still have to twist left and right a bit to clip in.

Clipping out is super easy - just go past the 7.5 degrees (total 15 degrees float) and you are done.

I am not a fan of the 15 degrees unrestricted float which, for me personally, becomes slopping while climbing out of the saddle (and some other riding positions where my body changes position). I need less float. Because the movement is so free and easy within this range of float - it can be a plus for some riders and a negative for others and depends on your setup and requirements.

You should look into the construction of the cleat base plate on the Ultra Light Action, it is a pressed steel rather than the thicker CNC machined base which speedplay have traditionally used.
Cycling is in my BNA

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Mon May 16, 2016 8:05 pm

Thanks all for your input.

The issue is not with the pedal, but my damaged ankle.

My right side I have no problems, but the left has started giving me grief again from a few weeks ago. I rolled it really badly on the steps of the harbour bridge and tumbled back down a flight to the next landing in March last year. Was on crutches for a couple of weeks afterwards.

The non-adjustability of the float on the Light Action pedals is probably going to be an issue in the short term so I might pull out the M520 pedals and refit them to the roadie.

I will also take up the doctor's suggestion of an ultrasound so my physio can see what's going on. I think instability from the weak ankle might also be feeding into the knee dramas I've been having on the same leg.

Thanks again everybody.

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Mon May 16, 2016 9:23 pm

The way it was explained to me on this forum, you can take the light action c clip and put it in the zeros. However, I wouldnt say that is a long term solution as it means you have to buy 2 cleats.
AUbicycles wrote:I am not a fan of the 15 degrees unrestricted float which, for me personally, becomes slopping while climbing out of the saddle (and some other riding positions where my body changes position). I need less float. Because the movement is so free and easy within this range of float - it can be a plus for some riders and a negative for others and depends on your setup and requirements.
The skating free float system takes a while to get use to, but I forgot about it after a while and I don't feel like I am flopping left and right while pedalling now.
AUbicycles wrote:Clipping in is easy, in terms of the force required, but I havn't yet found them to be super easy. Specifically, it is taking time to identify the right position and I still have to twist left and right a bit to clip in.
Clipping in does require a left/right twist every now and then. Its not something that I find is an issue over long term use as I know when I am in the pocket and have confidence that a twist will get me in.
AUbicycles wrote:You should look into the construction of the cleat base plate on the Ultra Light Action, it is a pressed steel rather than the thicker CNC machined base which speedplay have traditionally used.
are you sure of this? I thought the base was just black plastic on my zeros. I know you can buy a accessory that looks like aluminium.
tomee wrote:i came from SPD and then went to the ultra light action and i now prefer the speedplays.
just stomp down and you're in.

i'd say the unclipping is about the same as far as i can remember.
i think it has something to do with the angle you are exiting out
do you means spd-sl? Alot of people use speedplays because of knee/leg issues. I use them because they are easier to clip into but spd are still much easier in both entry and exit.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue May 17, 2016 9:58 am

eeksll wrote:The skating free float system takes a while to get use to, but I forgot about it after a while and I don't feel like I am flopping left and right while pedalling now.
It depends on what you need. I found that it can be controlled and that it probably becomes natural over time however if you are managing your foot position then you could be losing some pedalling efficiency.

At least for the positioning of this cleat towards beginner and enthusiast cyclists - it offers the comfort.
eeksll wrote:
AUbicycles wrote:You should look into the construction of the cleat base plate on the Ultra Light Action, it is a pressed steel rather than the thicker CNC machined base which speedplay have traditionally used.
are you sure of this? I thought the base was just black plastic on my zeros. I know you can buy a accessory that looks like aluminium.
Technically I should call it the "Metal Bottom Plate" and here is a photo of the ultra light action (left) and the speedplay zeros (right). On top of this there are the rubber cleat covers though it is a difference in construction.

Cycling is in my BNA

DaveQB

Postby DaveQB » Tue May 17, 2016 11:16 am

It sounds like your ankle is not 100% yet :(
Did your rehab include a final proprioception (balance retraining) faze? This can often be left out but has the biggest impact on preventing re-injury. Just a thought.
Ht: 182cm | Wt: 84kg | Bikes: Felt AR1 2016, Felt B2 2013
Sucessful Trades --> files.dward.us/Cycling/BNA-Trades.txt

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Tue May 17, 2016 10:52 pm

I probably have a few sets of used X-series floating around which would suit you. Zero pressure release. Call me if you need them.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Wed May 18, 2016 12:07 am

AUbicycles wrote:
Technically I should call it the "Metal Bottom Plate" and here is a photo of the ultra light action (left) and the speedplay zeros (right). On top of this there are the rubber cleat covers though it is a difference in construction.
I see what you mean now. I do wonder why they take the adjustability out of the light and ultra light action. I don't think they are cheaper anyway.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed May 18, 2016 11:50 am

eeksll wrote:I do wonder why they take the adjustability out of the light and ultra light action.
Simplicity and differentiation with the Zeros.
Cycling is in my BNA

tomee

Postby tomee » Thu May 19, 2016 9:28 am

AUbicycles wrote:
eeksll wrote:The skating free float system takes a while to get use to, but I forgot about it after a while and I don't feel like I am flopping left and right while pedalling now.
It depends on what you need. I found that it can be controlled and that it probably becomes natural over time however if you are managing your foot position then you could be losing some pedalling efficiency.

At least for the positioning of this cleat towards beginner and enthusiast cyclists - it offers the comfort.
eeksll wrote:

the light action cleats you have pictured on the left are from the walkable cleats.
the standard ultra light actions look similar to the right.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu May 19, 2016 12:35 pm

tomee wrote:the light action cleats you have pictured on the left are from the walkable cleats.
the standard ultra light actions look similar to the right.
bingo - thanks for this that really makes sense now.
Cycling is in my BNA

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat May 28, 2016 3:50 pm

Update:

After a short session with the dremel this morning I ground a small 1cm section of the inside edge of the C-spring adjacent to the little post that engages with the limit screws. I took it down to about 2/3rds original thickness (3.6mm down to 2.4-ish) . My aim was to leave enough of a shoulder to make sure it stayed in position through the range of movement on the yellow plastic cleat "sandwich filling".

Glad I didn't take out any more - it has made a dramatic difference to engagement and release. No need to bother with "Light Acton" cleats or pedals. All I really need to do now is adjust so it disengages just a little earlier in the heel kick-out on the left.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sat May 28, 2016 9:39 pm

Can I also suggest dry lube - this makes a big difference getting in and out.
Cycling is in my BNA

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Sat May 28, 2016 10:21 pm

trailgumby wrote:Update:

After a short session with the dremel this morning I ground a small 1cm section of the inside edge of the C-spring adjacent to the little post that engages with the limit screws. I took it down to about 2/3rds original thickness (3.6mm down to 2.4-ish) . My aim was to leave enough of a shoulder to make sure it stayed in position through the range of movement on the yellow plastic cleat "sandwich filling".

Glad I didn't take out any more - it has made a dramatic difference to engagement and release. No need to bother with "Light Acton" cleats or pedals. All I really need to do now is adjust so it disengages just a little earlier in the heel kick-out on the left.
I like this DIY mod, even though I dont require the light action. I wonder if this IS the difference between the zeros and light action

ItsDank

Postby ItsDank » Sun May 29, 2016 12:34 am

trailgumby wrote:March last year I badly rolled my ankle and did some serious damage that resulted in me being relegated to crutches for a couple of weeks with a grade 2 sprain. I ended up not needing a moon boot but the situation has not fully resolved.Since then I've been having problems with the ankle swelling up noticeably by the end of the day.

I think the release force required by my Speedplay Zero pedals is contributing by causing re-injury.

My question is this: how much easier to get in and out are the Speedplay Light Action pedals? Would they be comparable with say Shimano SPD mountain bike pedals?

Thanks for your help.
I've been riding speedplay zero's for almost 2 years. What I do is when changing the cleats over, I move the spring along with it. That way I have a light, easy to get in and out spring. You can also use pliers to reduce the overall tension of the springs if you already have zero's.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun May 29, 2016 4:33 pm

Tried them this morning. I was a little disconcerted when they almost unclipped when I went out of the saddle on the short pinch from my street up to the main road. Thought "Damn, I've gone too far" and was considering stopping to put the float adjustment back to where it was.

But they worked really well for the rest of the ride, nothing close to an unintended disengagement. So it was probably just my left side doing its thing before the nerves and proprioception fired up. I've done similar with mtb pedals on occasion previously, always on the left.

I'm going to slide the cleats back a few mm so will take some photos comparing to the standard spring if people are interested.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sun May 29, 2016 5:34 pm

Yes - would love to see pictures.
Cycling is in my BNA

Storm Boy

Postby Storm Boy » Tue May 31, 2016 5:41 am

AUbicycles wrote:Yes - would love to see pictures.
÷1 please :-)

SB

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue May 31, 2016 9:00 am

Just published a video for the Speedplay Ultra Light Actions - it does some comparisons and thanks for feedback regarding differences in the models - specifically walkable verses non-walkable - the Speedplay website doesn't make it easy to get good overview of the brand.

Cycling is in my BNA

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Tue May 31, 2016 9:47 am

I've been using light action for about 3 years now. A couple of tips.

1) yes dry lube regularly as christopher mentioned.

2) dont over tighten the screws ( abd in fact you can buy a special clutch screwdriver if you are paranoid about under tightening.

3) the new covers are expensive but what are just as good are Keep on Kovers. Look them up. You can even get the Chinese version on ebay for about $10 which are fantastic. The early version had problems staying on but the v3 are great.

Edit and don't believe whay speedplay tell you that you can't mix and match speedplay zero and light action cleats and pedals and vice versa. I do it all the time no problems.
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

tomee

Postby tomee » Tue May 31, 2016 1:29 pm

rodneycc wrote: Edit and don't believe whay speedplay tell you that you can't mix and match speedplay zero and light action cleats and pedals and vice versa. I do it all the time no problems.
This is what has always confused me.
does that mean the pedal bodies are the same?