Sppedplay Zero v. Light Action

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Sppedplay Zero v. Light Action

Postby AUbicycles » Tue May 31, 2016 2:49 pm

rodneycc wrote:don't believe whay speedplay tell you that you can't mix and match speedplay zero and light action cleats and pedals and vice versa. I do it all the time no problems.
There are certainly some parts that appear to be the same, have you come across certain parts that can't be swapped?
Cycling is in my BNA

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Tue May 31, 2016 10:27 pm

AUbicycles wrote:
rodneycc wrote:don't believe whay speedplay tell you that you can't mix and match speedplay zero and light action cleats and pedals and vice versa. I do it all the time no problems.
There are certainly some parts that appear to be the same, have you come across certain parts that can't be swapped?
No haven't come across anything. But I haven't tried changing a shaft over for example (you can get some nice Ti ones like the nano for fairly cheap online). I am fairly sure they would be the same. I think Speedplay just play it safe by saying don't interchange them because the Light action aren't really suitable for racing. But for general recreational riding I think mix and matching is fine. I thought at the beginning there might of been some extra wear mixing and matching (because I read somewhere the plastic on the pedal body of the L.A was softer) but I can't see any evidence of extra wear. And maybe the exit and entry could be fractionally harder but not much in it???

Actually the only thing I can think of that isn't interchangable is the platformer pedal adaptors (to make them into flat pedals) . I have both the zero and LA version 2 of those (don't ask me why), but they contour to the pedal body and use the little divits on the LA pedal for example.
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

DaveQB

Postby DaveQB » Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:31 pm

AUbicycles wrote:Can I also suggest dry lube - this makes a big difference getting in and out.
This is the recommendation and I was doing that for the first year of using Speedplay but I have gotten out of the habit lately and haven't noticed any difference. I am sure there is a "wear and tear" difference though.
Ht: 182cm | Wt: 84kg | Bikes: Felt AR1 2016, Felt B2 2013
Sucessful Trades --> files.dward.us/Cycling/BNA-Trades.txt

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:00 pm

The recommended lubing is ridiculous (like every 3 or 4 rides I think) but I usually end up re-lubing every couple of months if I ride 2 or 3 times a week (like now in winter).

DaveQB

Postby DaveQB » Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:18 pm

rodneycc wrote:The recommended lubing is ridiculous (like every 3 or 4 rides I think) but I usually end up re-lubing every couple of months if I ride 2 or 3 times a week (like now in winter).
I am with him ^
Ht: 182cm | Wt: 84kg | Bikes: Felt AR1 2016, Felt B2 2013
Sucessful Trades --> files.dward.us/Cycling/BNA-Trades.txt

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:21 pm

I am at the start of the life and perhaps it needs more to get started - but I think with practice and more consistently positioning your foot correctly will help (I came from SPD-SLs).

That said, I return the review pair soon and will be back to SPD-SLs.
Cycling is in my BNA

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:12 am

I keep a microfibre cloth near my bike and wipe the pedals clean.

I replaced my last set of speedplays because they started to rock. From reading around the web, I think the rocking could be due to dirt getting on the pedal and grinding away the pedal over time causing play between the 2 interfaces.

tomee

Postby tomee » Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:01 pm

rodneycc wrote:The recommended lubing is ridiculous (like every 3 or 4 rides I think) but I usually end up re-lubing every couple of months if I ride 2 or 3 times a week (like now in winter).
i give the pedals a quick tap and if they spin freely i will lube.
otherwise i will re-lube after a season

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:17 pm

tomee wrote:i give the pedals a quick tap and if they spin freely i will lube.
Actually - I was referring to lubing the contact point between the pedal and cleats rather than the spindle.

Is a 'sticky spindle' an issue?
Cycling is in my BNA

nickdos

Postby nickdos » Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:23 pm

Are these walkable cleats significantly better to walk around in than SPD-SL cleats?

I'm just trying to decide which to get after using SPD cleats & MTB shoes on my road bike for the last 4 years...

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:57 pm

AUbicycles wrote:
tomee wrote:i give the pedals a quick tap and if they spin freely i will lube.
Actually - I was referring to lubing the contact point between the pedal and cleats rather than the spindle.

Is a 'sticky spindle' an issue?
yep me too. i.e the cleats. I haven't greased the actually pedals as yet on any of my 6 pairs.

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:03 pm

AUbicycles wrote:Is a 'sticky spindle' an issue?
I believe the rule with speedplay pedals is, if it spins freely add grease. If it is sticky then it should be fine.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:05 pm

nickdos wrote:Are these walkable cleats significantly better to walk around in than SPD-SL cleats?

I'm just trying to decide which to get after using SPD cleats & MTB shoes on my road bike for the last 4 years...
Not sure about the walkable cleats, but the Keep-On Kovers are definitely better than SPD-SLs to walk in. I am *much* less concerned about rolling an ankle.

After mtb shoes/cleats for 4 years you will be much more comfortable with Speedplays. Especially for commuting. I have a very poor opinion of SPD-SLs; one of the very few things that Shimano have done very poorly.

They may be fine if you never put your foot down. The major issue with SPD-SLs in my opinion is having to hunt for your pedal when taking off from lights. Even guys who've been using them for years still hunt and peck and/or have their feet slip off - I see it daily. If you are a commuter with a lot of start/stop I would go so far as to call them hazardous to ride in traffic.

Speedplays are double sided, and even if you don't get engaged first hit, your foot is far less likely to slide off forward and do a digger into the pavement with some bus or taxi half a metre off your back wheel. Some folks complain the free float is unsettling, but if you've been using SPD mtb pedals you will be right at home.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:05 am

nickdos wrote:Are these walkable cleats significantly better to walk around in than SPD-SL cleats?
I can jump in and also say yes.

As they protrude, it is different from MTB SPDs, so even with the Speedplay walkable cleats you probably wont have a graceful stride. What they do in comparison to SPD-SLs is have a softer rubber/plastic cover and means you don't skate about on tiles or glossy cafe floors - they provide better grip. It is also a better surface - SPD-SL have the two raised points (yellow, red or blue) which take your weight while the walkable cleats have a better distribution. As noted in my article, the clip-in mechanism is less exposed with the speedplay - on Shimano SPD-SL, I have chewed up the cleats walking on bad surfaces like gravel and rock.

The Speedplay walkable cleats are better - though don't rival flat shoes.
Cycling is in my BNA

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:33 am

And the speedplay specific 4 bolt shoes are even better again for walking (less stack height). Love my sidi wire speedplay specific 4 bolt shoes. (You would go Spd's if you plan to be walking a bit as Spd's are still much better)

nickdos

Postby nickdos » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:41 am

Thanks for the feedback on walkability - my only remaining concern with Speedplay is clipping in. I've read some people have difficulty adapting to the "stomp down" action Speedplay requires as opposed to the slide forward and heel down action of SPD-SL. Coming from single sided SDP pedals, I'm used to sliding my foot forward until the front of the cleat engages and then pushing down. It sounds like this won't work for Speedplay as you have to feel for the pedal in the correct spot and then press down. Has anyone had trouble adapting to this or is it pretty intuitive?

grimbo

Postby grimbo » Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:36 pm

nickdos wrote:Thanks for the feedback on walkability - my only remaining concern with Speedplay is clipping in. I've read some people have difficulty adapting to the "stomp down" action Speedplay requires as opposed to the slide forward and heel down action of SPD-SL. Coming from single sided SDP pedals, I'm used to sliding my foot forward until the front of the cleat engages and then pushing down. It sounds like this won't work for Speedplay as you have to feel for the pedal in the correct spot and then press down. Has anyone had trouble adapting to this or is it pretty intuitive?
My first few days with Speedplays were mixed - sometimes went straight in, sometimes took minutes to make them click. But with only a little practice, it's very easy and intuitive - more so than with other cleat types, IMO. The things I really like about speedplays -
- that loud satisfying "click" that lets you know you're in
- they never disengage unless you want them to
"If I can bicycle, I bicycle" ~David Attenborough

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:37 pm

grimbo wrote:
nickdos wrote:Thanks for the feedback on walkability - my only remaining concern with Speedplay is clipping in. I've read some people have difficulty adapting to the "stomp down" action Speedplay requires as opposed to the slide forward and heel down action of SPD-SL. Coming from single sided SDP pedals, I'm used to sliding my foot forward until the front of the cleat engages and then pushing down. It sounds like this won't work for Speedplay as you have to feel for the pedal in the correct spot and then press down. Has anyone had trouble adapting to this or is it pretty intuitive?
My first few days with Speedplays were mixed - sometimes went straight in, sometimes took minutes to make them click. But with only a little practice, it's very easy and intuitive - more so than with other cleat types, IMO. The things I really like about speedplays -
I started with SPD. Going to speedplay definitely has a learning curve. But still a hell of alot easier than spd-sl.

nickdos

Postby nickdos » Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:36 pm

grimbo wrote:My first few days with Speedplays were mixed - sometimes went straight in, sometimes took minutes to make them click. But with only a little practice, it's very easy and intuitive - more so than with other cleat types, IMO. The things I really like about speedplays -
eeksll wrote:I started with SPD. Going to speedplay definitely has a learning curve. But still a hell of alot easier than spd-sl.
Thanks for the info - I ended taking the plunge and ordered Speedplay zero (regular cleats as they were on sale at BikeBug). They arrive the next day and I installed them on a new pair of shoes I also ordered from BikeBug (Lake CX 237 wide fit). I also got a pair of Keep on Kovers (in lieu of the walkable cleats which weren't available). Being a bit of a weight weenie I was pleased to see I'd saved almost 300g from my MTB setup (pedals, cleats & shoes).

Went for my first ride in them today and I'm pretty happy with both the shoes and the pedals/cleats. Clipping in was better than I expected and by the end of a 3+ hour ride I was going straight in. Getting my foot out was also easier than I was expecting and almost on par with SPDs. I almost went with the ultra light action models but decided I wanted the fine-tuning float of the Zero's so I'm happy they are pretty easy to get in and out of (for reference I'm 68kg). Yes the free float felt weird at first, especially when climbing out of the saddle. But I mostly got used to it - will probably take a bit longer to not notice it anymore.

The only negs I have with them are they don't have as much front-back adjustability as I'd hoped. I've got them set as far back as possible and they are only about 5 mm rear of the ball of my foot in the shoes. I prefer about 10-15mm of setback from my ball of my foot so I think I will be getting the extender plates at some point (which are really expensive for what they are - a longer plate and few screws). The other problem I encountered was getting the cleat plates flat on my shoes. I used the wedges Speedplay suggested but the plastic plate was clearly bowing so I replaced the front wedge with the chunkier version and this seemed better. It's still not perfectly flat but it's as good as I can get without using the thin shims which I can't be bothered faffing with.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:03 pm

The Speedplay Ultra Light Action Review is now up. The OP is now sorted, though the review is still useful for understanding the differences and where the Ultra Light Action cleats fit it.
Cycling is in my BNA

nickdos

Postby nickdos » Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:28 pm

AUbicycles wrote:The Speedplay Ultra Light Action Review is now up. The OP is now sorted, though the review is still useful for understanding the differences and where the Ultra Light Action cleats fit it.
Good review, thanks for that. Just a minor correction - you referred to the extender plates as being "3rd party base plate adapters". They are in fact made by Speedplay and so aren't technically "3rd party".

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:59 pm

Right - the one in the photo was third party and now reflecting on the conversation with my bike fitter - they are also more price effective than the speedplay version.
Cycling is in my BNA

nickdos

Postby nickdos » Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:25 am

AUbicycles wrote:Right - the one in the photo was third party and now reflecting on the conversation with my bike fitter - they are also more price effective than the speedplay version.

OK bad assumption on my part - photo of the plate looked the same and I've been scouring the net trying to find a cheaper version of the Speedplay extender plate and haven't seen any 3rd party versions in my searches. Do you know the name of the company, as I'm in the market for these extender plates?