Conundrum - What to do with my crappy Repco mountain bike

nikero

Conundrum - What to do with my crappy Repco mountain bike

Postby nikero » Tue May 17, 2016 8:39 am

Hi

I have a Repco mountain bike that is old, cheap and nasty. It needs the rear rim straightened, new brake cables and new grips ... at a minimum.

I'm thinking it is a waste to put any money into it, probably better to buy a new mountain bike.

But I don't want to spend big bucks as I'm not sure I'll take up cycling. I've only just started. And I have a habit of passionately starting new hobbies then dropping them, so if I buy a flash mountain bike it could just end up being a thousand dollar clothes hanger!

So I'm thinking I can just buy a $200 mountain bike and see if I take up the hobby. If I do then I'll get proper kit.

Any recommendations / ideas for getting a reasonable mountain bike as cheap as possible?

Thanks,
Nick

MattyK

Re: Conundrum - What to do with my crappy Repco mountain bike

Postby MattyK » Tue May 17, 2016 11:09 am

See if any local friendlies would be willing to straighten it up, then donate it to charity. St Vinnes, ASRC, etc.

I'm guessing that a $200 bike won't endear you to the sport though... more make you hate it. Maybe try borrowing one for a couple of rides first?

open roader

Postby open roader » Tue May 17, 2016 8:40 pm

nikero wrote:Any recommendations / ideas for getting a reasonable mountain bike as cheap as possible?
With a budget circa $200 I'd be looking for a 2nd hand hardtail with low useage or better still, flog the Repco some more whilst you save up some more budget dollars as a new $200 MTB will not give you $200 more joy than your current ride IMHO.
3rd class cycling is always better than 1st class walking

tron07

Postby tron07 » Wed May 18, 2016 10:11 am

What sort of cycling you will be doing or planing? riding around the block, to the park, to the nearby shops to buy some minor stuffs, riding down a trail or gravel road, etc??

dean_oo

Postby dean_oo » Wed May 18, 2016 4:44 pm

Hit up Gumtree for a good second hander!

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Wed May 18, 2016 10:21 pm

dean_oo wrote:Hit up Gumtree for a good second hander!
And add a zero to the end of your budgeted number, end divide by two. ;)

koshari

Postby koshari » Wed May 18, 2016 10:50 pm

nikero wrote:Hi

I have a Repco mountain bike that is old, cheap and nasty. It needs the rear rim straightened, new brake cables and new grips ... at a minimum.

why not post a pic with some more info on your repco, a cable set and grips on ebay would cost you about 15 bucks delivered and you can prolly take most of the woof out of the rear whell yourself with a bit of youtube viewing and a spoke wrench.

as mentioned before, ride the repco and save for a replacement,

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon May 23, 2016 9:16 pm

With the abandonment of 26" wheels in the last couple of years the world is your oyster. Donate the repco to an op shop, and type "mountain bike" into gumtree. You'll have a lot of rubbish to wade through and it might take a little while to find one in your size but i just had a quick look and turned up a Kona Cindercone with 1 broken spoke for $180, and an Orbea Dakar for $100. The running gear and suspension will be basic compared to high end stuff, but perfectly usable and far better than what would be on the Repco.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia