Upgrading my Avanti

Mattaxe

Upgrading my Avanti

Postby Mattaxe » Mon May 23, 2016 10:20 pm

Help please

I recently purchased an Avanti Cadence (spec below) I feel my fitness levels are good and I'm pushing my bike and myself to my limits but I need more. I'm new to bikes and I'm looking for help on how to improve the speed of the bike especially up hills. I'm guessing the height of my bike is a main factor. Having just bought the bike (3 months ago) I'm not going to change the frame, so what's next to change? Is it the wheels, if yes to what? Or the gears? Once again to what.

Sorry for the basic questions but I'm a novice on a bike.

Description
The Cadent has a lightweight carbon frame designed with endurance geometry, so you can push your ride that bit further. Ride on.
Frame : ADT R3 Carbon, Endurance Road Geometry, Universal component capability
Fork : ADT E3 Monocoque Carbon Integrated with 1.5-1 1/8" Steerer
Front Derailleur : Shimano Sora
Rear Derailleur : Shimano Sora
Shifters : Shimano Sora 18-Speed with Shimano Gear cables
Crankset : Shimano Sora Compact 50/34T
Brakes : Alloy Dual Pivot R312
Brake Levers : Shimano Sora
Wheelset / Rims : Alex AT470 Aero 32H
Hubs : Shimano Claris
Spokes : Stainless Steel
Cassette : Shimano HG50 11-30T 9-Speed
Handlebar : Zero Attack Pro-S 31.8mm
Handlebar Stem : Zero Attack Pro 31.8mm
Headset : Tapered Integrated Aheadset 1-1/8"- 1.5"
Grips : Zero Suede Micro Wrap
Pedals : Nil
Tyres : Kenda Kountach 700 x 25c Folding with Superlite Tubes
Saddle : Zero Zelix Sport
Seat Post : Zero Attack 27.2mm x 350mm
Bottom Bracket : Shimano SM-BB71 Press Fit
Chain : HG53

Calvin27

Re: Upgrading my Avanti

Postby Calvin27 » Tue May 24, 2016 9:16 am

In order of preference based on my own abitary criteria.

1. Tyres. Get soemthing that rolls nice. I prefer conti gps2 in 25c, but there are other equivalents too. This is a cheap upgrade and makes a noticable difference. Spend: $100 a set

2. Wheels. All my bikes are disc so I don't have any recommendations, but the principle stands. Lighter wheels are a good weight savings for yoru bike. You can take these to your next bike too. Spend up to $500+

3. Groupset. You have sora stuff which works but is kind of on the heavy side of things and there are other co benefits to higher level groupsets. Next levels up are tiagra, 105 and ultegra respectively. 105 hit the bang for buck at about $500 for a full groupset. The installation will cost a bit as well unless you diy which is a good idea to familiarise yourself with the bike. Cost $500 (105)-$770 (Ultegra)

After that you basically have a new bike.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Tue May 24, 2016 9:17 am

Mattaxe wrote:...I'm looking for help on how to improve the speed of the bike especially up hills. I'm guessing the height of my bike is a main factor.
I assume you mean weight, not height?

Biggest factor in hill climbing is the motor, followed by the weight on the end of the saddle.

Lightening the bike would make a small improvement, but do the maths. You might get 1kg out of it by going to some light wheels and tyres. So if you weigh about 80kg (total guess) and the bike weighs about 10 kg, you've saved about 1.1% weight, which might get you up a 20 minute climb about 13 seconds faster...

Hate to mention his name, but durianrider did a great video of him smashing a bunch of fancy bikes up a hill on a $600 Reid...

macca33

Postby macca33 » Tue May 24, 2016 10:06 am

Tyres - a good set such as Continental GP4000s will make a difference to on-road feel and handling and yes, a lighter wheelset will sharpen the handling somewhat. The rims you have on the bike at present are VERY heavy - probably >2kg, so a nice set of mid-priced rims, such as Fulcrum Racing 3, or Fulcrum Quattro, or a set of Ultegra 6800 rims, may be what you're after.

No, they won't make you magically develop into a Pro rider, but the difference in handling and dynamics will be noticeable.

Groupset would also make sense - such as a Shimano 105-5800 set-up, but you'll then require the 11-speed compatible wheelset to go with it!

cheers
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue May 24, 2016 10:43 am

MattyK wrote:Hate to mention his name, but durianrider did a great video of him smashing a bunch of fancy bikes up a hill on a $600 Reid...
He probably paid them to ride a bit slower.

+1 though for the rest of that post. Shaving weight off a bike is expensive and might not make the difference you are after. Try the tyres first though, they are a wear item anyway. Secondly the wheels can make a difference in feel, I was a bit surprised how different my MTB accelerated after upgrading the wheelset. I did however go from a pretty low end set with tubes to a reasonably light weight set and went tubeless at the same time so there was a significant difference in weight, not an incremental one like you might be budgeting for.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Tue May 24, 2016 10:59 am

Actually he was riding with a serious bunch, and they were motoring past other riders. But his point was, a nicer/more expensive/lighter bike might feel good but it isn't what makes you faster. Training effectively, and riding with faster people, is what makes you faster.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue May 24, 2016 11:19 am

Mattaxe wrote:Help please

I recently purchased an Avanti Cadence (spec below) I feel my fitness levels are good and I'm pushing my bike and myself to my limits but I need more. I'm new to bikes and I'm looking for help on how to improve the speed of the bike especially up hills. I'm guessing the height of my bike is a main factor. Having just bought the bike (3 months ago) I'm not going to change the frame, so what's next to change? Is it the wheels, if yes to what? Or the gears? Once again to what.
I would suggest to leave the bike as it is (upgrades are costly) and perhaps have a go at an FTP test:

http://www.onebodypowercycle.com.au/power-testing/
http://sydney.athlete-lab.com/services/sports-testing/
http://sydney.athlete-lab.com/blog/2014 ... -ftp-test/

It's cheaper than bike upgrades and will pinpoint where your fitness is at. 20 minutes of hell.

As for bike upgrades, I think tyres, groupset and lighter wheels are where you find the biggest gains, particularly lighter wheels. You can spend a lot of money on light wheels, easily $2500-3000+. But once you get down to around 6.8kg, it's not worth making the bike any lighter unless it just ended up that way.

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Tue May 24, 2016 8:21 pm

Mattaxe wrote:Help please
I'm new to bikes and I'm looking for help on how to improve the speed of the bike especially up hills. I'm guessing the height (weight) of my bike is a main factor.
No its not a main factor ... Matty is correct. Going up hills fast is a training issue.

I could give dozens of examples of how the bike is NOT a factor.
I won 11 scratch races in a row at my local club on a steel bike. B grade. When they promoted me to A grade I lashed out and bought a carbon one.
My son's first bike was a Merida aluminium with 9 speed Sora. Got it at cash converters. He regularly won our club time trials on it as well as setting a record in the hill climb championships. We upgraded when he grew out of it.

Look if you want to throw money at upgrades, go ahead. But real improvements come from training correctly, and dare I say, from racing. Everyone thinks they are a hero until they do their first race. I did.
The bike is only 3 months old. Keep riding it. When things wear out, replace them with a small upgrade.

Mattaxe

Postby Mattaxe » Tue May 24, 2016 8:40 pm

Thanks everyone for your replies it's greatly appreciated. From reading everyone's comments I think it's a case of upping my training and hitting more hills to help with my strength and speed and only replace parts when needed. Thanks again everyone :D

softy

Postby softy » Tue May 24, 2016 8:55 pm

MattyK wrote:Actually he was riding with a serious bunch, and they were motoring past other riders. But his point was, a nicer/more expensive/lighter bike might feel good but it isn't what makes you faster. Training effectively, and riding with faster people, is what makes you faster.
he also has a heavy bamboo bike he rides which keeps up with good riders....

Anyway, back to going up hills quicker, style can make a difference and gearing. It looks like you have pretty good gearing 34/30t easiest gear. try to spin more if you are grinding out the seat, this may work for you and has worked for me to improve my hill climbing. if your hills are really steep, try a 32 cassette on the back and keep your cadence above 90.

Also loose 5kg, I know it is a tongue in check joke cyclists say, but will improve your climbing. wheels/bike reducing weight will only make very minor differences.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue May 24, 2016 9:12 pm

Mattaxe wrote:Thanks everyone for your replies it's greatly appreciated. From reading everyone's comments I think it's a case of upping my training and hitting more hills to help with my strength and speed and only replace parts when needed. Thanks again everyone :D
You will get more value out of saving up for your next complete new bike. Tyres are still a wear item and an upgrade that will make a difference. A new and good wheelset can accompany you on your next bike though I wouldn't bother upgrading components. Look after what you have and they will look after you.
Cycling is in my BNA

Mattaxe

Postby Mattaxe » Tue May 24, 2016 10:37 pm

Thanks for the above, very helpful

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Wed May 25, 2016 8:14 am

softy wrote:
Also loose 5kg, I know it is a tongue in check joke cyclists say, but will improve your climbing.
Ooo yeah, this!

I did the opposite last month....put on 4.5kg, and it hurts! Even minor hills are painful now.

Forget Durian dude, he does nothing but ride and bs between rides. Few can spend that amount of time training.

For an example of real world training reference Queequeg hereabouts. Lots of commuting on a relatively heavy pannier laden bike in hilly areas; starts racing and hits B (or A?) in a year or something. Impressive.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed May 25, 2016 8:34 am

That's the old saying, train on a heavy bike, race on a light bike (if you want to race that is).
fat and old wrote:Few can spend that amount of time training.
Trick is to be smart about it and balance your time well - make the most out of the hours you do. Otherwise you'll burn out.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Wed May 25, 2016 2:29 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Trick is to be smart about it and balance your time well - make the most out of the hours you do. Otherwise you'll burn out.
Making the most out of my time on the bike rarely means "getting better". One of the things I have to accept when looking at big climbs etc. eg, I'd love to do an everest, reality is I'd rather enjoy my riding more than that required to achieve it. If that's understandable?

If you're not enjoying your ride, then what's the point? (rhetoric, not personal)

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Wed May 25, 2016 3:26 pm

fat and old wrote:
g-boaf wrote:
Making the most out of my time on the bike rarely means "getting better". One of the things I have to accept when looking at big climbs etc. eg, I'd love to do an everest, reality is I'd rather enjoy my riding more than that required to achieve it. If that's understandable?

If you're not enjoying your ride, then what's the point? (rhetoric, not personal)
I have to agree fatty. Unless you are training for a race, I dont see the point in aiming to get your commute from a 24kph average to 26 ...or whatever. Or trying to battle the local punters for a strava segment or something. Or 'racing' random people who are just riding around enjoying themselves. Not sure what jollies people get from that sort of thing but I dont understand it.

You might be getting 'better' but there will always be someone who is better than you. Its a rather pointless exercise for its own sake.
Just enjoy your riding, be happy that you have the time and the health to do it, be happy with your bike and dont bother keeping up with the Jones's.

I quit surfing because every session was ending up like a contest, and I had lost the pure enjoyment of doing it for its own sake. Bike riding should not be a contest with yourself or with other riders every time you throw a leg over.

dean_oo

Postby dean_oo » Wed May 25, 2016 3:42 pm

Derny Driver wrote:
fat and old wrote:
g-boaf wrote:

I have to agree fatty. Unless you are training for a race, I dont see the point in aiming to get your commute from a 24kph average to 26 ...or whatever. Or trying to battle the local punters for a strava segment or something. Or 'racing' random people who are just riding around enjoying themselves. Not sure what jollies people get from that sort of thing but I dont understand it.

You might be getting 'better' but there will always be someone who is better than you. Its a rather pointless exercise for its own sake.
Just enjoy your riding, be happy that you have the time and the health to do it, be happy with your bike and dont bother keeping up with the Jones's.

I quit surfing because every session was ending up like a contest, and I had lost the pure enjoyment of doing it for its own sake. Bike riding should not be a contest with yourself or with other riders every time you throw a leg over.
But what if contesting against yourself is what makes you enjoy your riding? :P
We're all different hey.

To answer OP's question. Keep chipping away and you'll see improvements over time.
Yes groupsets, wheels, tyres etc offcourse will give you more improvement. Dropping a few kilo's will give you the greatest improvement.
The journey is more important than the destination!

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed May 25, 2016 7:36 pm

It should be said, I hate Strava and tend to just ride alone. I also don't really enjoy racing much either.

Point was, be smart about your riding if you are trying to get better, otherwise you'll just end up dead tired and not enjoying it.

softy

Postby softy » Wed May 25, 2016 10:22 pm

just to comment on the new thoughts;

Many take up cycling to get fit, to me that means leaner and better cardio.
If this is your goal, strava can be a sort of guide, plus the scales. if you loose weight and get fitter then the up side is you can ride with a higher wattage and climb faster.

And one is a reflection of the other....