Opinions Avanti Corsa SL 1 2016???

looseleftie

Opinions Avanti Corsa SL 1 2016???

Postby looseleftie » Thu May 26, 2016 9:10 pm

Hello all,
I have decided to purchase in the very near future the Avanti Corsa SL 1, it's light weight (from the sole review I've seen), and has 11-28 on back (which suits hills and where I live).. I would love to read other riders view on this bike? I also like the look of the bike :)

It's $2000 or just under, I don't actually know the weight, but want to pursue more climbing in future, eg Donna,Lake Moutain and the like.. Whilst enjoying riding on the flats along Beach Rd.

Any specific thoughts on this bike would be most sincerely appreciated.
Cheers guys
Looseleftie

cerb

Re: Opinions Avanti Corsa SL 1 2016???

Postby cerb » Fri May 27, 2016 10:58 am

My first bike was an Avanti (Aluminium model with Carbon stays and 105 groupset). It was a good bike and a good introduction to riding.

This bike looks like a decent entry level road bike. It's not liklely to be super lightweight, but at this price point, it's all much of a muchness anyway. It's not until you're paying twice this value or more that you start to get the weight down noticably.

Even then, most riders would benefit more losing weight from themselves, rather than the bike!

105 groupset works fine and would even carry you through into low level racing if you wanted to do that. Higher level groups shift more smoothly but honestly, you wouldn't know the difference until you rode higher spec bikes.

An easy and biggest upgrade would be to change the wheels. The RS10's are very much entry level and spending $500-$800 on new wheels will make a noticable difference.

The only other thing is; if you are like most other cyclists, you are likely to get upgradeitis not that long after you get this bike... So, perhaps consider spending a little more and get something better from the outset?

macca33

Postby macca33 » Fri May 27, 2016 12:12 pm

It is a great bike, however, the one friend I have who owned one had issues with the seatpost clamp after a while, which led to a warranty replacement and him moving the frameset on. He was a constant seat-height fiddler.

I've also spoken to someone who does a fair bit of work on Avanti bikes (Corsa SL & DR) and he, similarly, stated the seatpost clamp set up can be an issue, particularly if it is adjusted constantly and/or a torque wrench isn't used to tighten the bolts properly.

That said, if proper tools are used and it isn't fiddled with constantly, it would be fine.

cheers
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL

looseleftie

Postby looseleftie » Sun May 29, 2016 7:34 am

Cheers guys.. my LBS is an Avanti dealer. It would be ideal to support them and have close help and service options when needed.

It is damn near impossible though to get actual reviews on this bike though from riders. As i never seem them around, let alone reviewed. Bike Roar did one which i initially kick started my interest in the bike.
Any other thoughts on bike sincerely appreciated
Cheers looseleftie

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Mon May 30, 2016 7:36 pm

macca33 wrote:It is a great bike, however, the one friend I have who owned one had issues with the seatpost clamp after a while, which led to a warranty replacement and him moving the frameset on. He was a constant seat-height fiddler.

I've also spoken to someone who does a fair bit of work on Avanti bikes (Corsa SL & DR) and he, similarly, stated the seatpost clamp set up can be an issue, particularly if it is adjusted constantly and/or a torque wrench isn't used to tighten the bolts properly.

That said, if proper tools are used and it isn't fiddled with constantly, it would be fine.

cheers
+1

Also know of another issue at the seat post clamp that cracked the carbon. My friend opted for repair and have Avanti compensate him (warranty - they offered replacement frame with one model down and a year newer but he wasn't happy with that).
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

looseleftie

Postby looseleftie » Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:05 pm

Well after a lot of thinking, to and froing, and whatnot.. I decided to give my patronage to another bicycle shop,not my local, I bought a Giant TCR Advanced, and the reason, came down to rudeness by my Avanti manager, who was impatient, and on the whole rather unpleasant.. Well done Avanti!!

I won't name the centre,as there are some great guys there, but I felt that this shop doesn't deserve my business..I've had a couple of very minor gripes with poor servicing in the past, I let it go.. However, this time I thought bugger this..:(

I let my feet do the talking..

Love the new bike, lighter, quick, good little climber.. Everything I wanted...