Which Rims?

MrPushy

Which Rims?

Postby MrPushy » Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:04 am

Hi All,

New here :)
I would like this to not turn into a biased opinion thread over brands lol, just experiences, pros/cons and why.
Looking at a set of wheels and deciding between the two is drilling me a bit. My current understanding is they are quite similar.

Either Campag Neutron Ultra's or Dura Ace wh9000 c24's.

Also wondering what the average resale value could be for each set.

Cheers
Mik

MrPushy

Re: Which Rims?

Postby MrPushy » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:07 pm

Thanks for the responses....
Great forum ready to help a new guy out lol.

aive

Postby aive » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:32 pm

I recently got into road cycling, and upgraded my wheels to Ultegra 6800's (set is ~$350 from Chain Reaction) - rolls a lot nicer (smoother) than the stock set that came with my Merida Ride 4000 (Fulcrums).

Whole range of wheels available depending on your budget - some carbon wheels cost more than my actual bike ><

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:33 pm

They are two very nice wheelsets. Are you planning on buying a groupset to match the hub?

If not buy the one that will match your current groupset.

Cheers,

Cameron

MrPushy

Postby MrPushy » Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:00 am

Thanks for the responds guys! :-)

(AT) Cameron - The bike has a complete ultegra group set. Just picked it up yesterday actually and I did end up going with the Neutron Ultras, mainly due to the deal I ended up getting with the store. He couldn't get the Dura Ace wheels cheap enough.

During the week when I posted the question I was looking at online prices which showed they were quite similar in value.
Both great write ups. One thing I came across was the wear rates on the Shimanos was greater on the braking surface. Any experience with this?

From what I have read so far and your responses looks like I couldn't go wrong with either one :-)

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:29 pm

Are you planning on using a Campag cassette with Shimano gears? I don't believe that Campag wheels have Shimano freehub bodies.

Assuming you're running 11spd the reports I've heard are: some say it is perfectly fine, others say it works well enough but not perfect.

If you're running 10spd or less then you'll need some creative solution.

Cheers,

Cameron

MrPushy

Postby MrPushy » Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:19 pm

ironhanglider wrote:Are you planning on using a Campag cassette with Shimano gears? I don't believe that Campag wheels have Shimano freehub bodies.

Assuming you're running 11spd the reports I've heard are: some say it is perfectly fine, others say it works well enough but not perfect.

If you're running 10spd or less then you'll need some creative solution.

Cheers,

Cameron
No its an 11 spd Shimano cassette.
So far the known online stores are selling as compatible for both as far as I can see.
See how it goes but im pretty sure it will be fine.

I am curious what is it that was not so perfect?

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:14 am

ironhanglider - campag wheels are available with either shimano/sram or campag freehubs.
shimano wheels are only available with shimano freehubs

and leonard Zinn (you know, the bloke who wrote the maintenance bible) says that an 11 speed campag cassette works fine with shimano/sram and vice versa.

nothing to worry about mrpushy - enjoy the new ride

MrPushy

Postby MrPushy » Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:50 pm

Thanks heaps jasonc!

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:59 pm

jasonc wrote:ironhanglider - campag wheels are available with either shimano/sram or campag freehubs.
shimano wheels are only available with shimano freehubs

and leonard Zinn (you know, the bloke who wrote the maintenance bible) says that an 11 speed campag cassette works fine with shimano/sram and vice versa.

nothing to worry about mrpushy - enjoy the new ride
Thanks jasonc. I'm not up with the latest information.

Campag wheels never used to be compatible with Shimano, you had to go to their 'other brand' Fulcrum to get a compatible freehub.

As for the compatibility, LZ is in the perfectly fine camp.
cycling tips wrote:CHAINS AND CASSETTES

According to Leonard Zinn’s testing, all 11-speed transmissions are compatible. A comparison of a Campagnolo 11-speed cassette with a Shimano equivalent demonstrates that the cog spacing is well matched. However, there is a measurable difference in the width of each company’s 11-speed chain (Shimano’s chain is 5.62mm wide, Campy’s is 5.50mm).

In practice, the measurable differences account for little and a Shimano 11-speed cassette works well with a Campagnolo groupset, and vice versa. Neither combination is perfect though. The imperfections express themselves in the form of a little extra chain noise and/or occasional lazy upshifts for some, but not all, of the rear cogs. Overall, the compatibility is more than adequate in most circumstances, though not all users (or fussy mechanics) will be satisfied.
I'm not the one to preach too hard on compatibility, I run friction shifters on my commuting bike, precisely so that if I have a problem with my regular wheel I can substitute something else without having to bother with counting cogs. (at one stage I had 5,8,9 and 10spd wheels at home), in any case I'm also the one who rode a 10spd cassette on a 9spd system and didn't particularly notice, so I am not one of the fussy mechanics/users. However I have no idea what Mr Pushy's tolerances are like.

Cheers,

Cameron

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:10 am

ironhanglider wrote:
Thanks jasonc. I'm not up with the latest information.
Campagnolo brought out Fulcrum brand to not sully Campagnolo running shimano compatible free hubs. Unfortunately they sold their soul to the devil a little while ago...

redsonic

Postby redsonic » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:50 am

Hi Mr Pushy,
I have Campag Neutron Ultras running Shimano 11speed and 25mm tyres. They are really nice wheels. Spin forever and very comfortable. They are a little more flexible than my custom laced, higher spoke count wheels. Only noticeable to me when out of the saddle. I feel a little brake rub on the rear, which I don't on my other set. I hope you are happy with them.
By the way, you may have received no reply initially because forum access has been patchy for us the last week or so. Be patient, and usually every question gets answered....

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:40 pm

redsonic wrote:Hi Mr Pushy,.......

........Be patient, and usually every question gets answered....
User name seems pretty apt. :D

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:23 pm

I'm not exactly sure when Campag introduced Shimano-pattern freewheel bodies, but it's at least 10 years ago.

11-sp. brand-mashing isn't toooo bad, certainly better than 10-sp, but because Campag for some weird reason don't have equal sprocket spacing across the cassette, some gears will be a tiny bit out of whack.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:39 pm

Duck! wrote:I'm not exactly sure when Campag introduced Shimano-pattern freewheel bodies, but it's at least 10 years ago.
2006 was the year of the European cold wave. Coincidence? I think not... :lol: