DaveQB

Felt TT bikes :: S22 aluminium/carbon vs B12 carbon

Postby DaveQB » Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:38 pm

Me again, comparing bikes.

Is this Felt 2014 B12
http://2014.feltbicycles.com/Internatio ... s/b12.aspx

worth $1200 more than this Felt 2011 S22
http://2011.feltracing.com/Australia/20 ... s/S22.aspx

Shallower wheels, cheaper seat, 10 speed, round basebar etc doesn't mater much to me; I have my own wheels, 10 speed is fine for now, I see a nice 3T basebar for $70 online etc. The difference to me is the frame.

My use for this is:
A) I like going as fast as possible on flat rides. I do about 60% of my riding on my own
B) I find riding my road bike with clip-on aero bars more comfortable and more enjoyable.
C) I'd like to race TT.
D) I love technology and aerodynamics

FRAME
S22's frame is Felt's second to latest design (2007). A proven frame in it's time, but superseded in 2011 with the frame design on the B12 pictured above, the current design on the Felt TT range.
S22 being aluminium (but carbon fork, seatstays and seatpost) it doesn't have the exact same shape as the 2007 Felt TT frame.
S22 has FSA threaded BB30. Does that mean anything?

Felt's white paper concluded the latest frame design is 10% faster than the 2007 frame design. The S22 is different shape/design due to the aluminium and I assume less aero.

Reviews I've read on the S22 state it is a surprisingly comfortable ride (surprisingly because it's aluminium or for a TT bike? Don't know)

I am not a fan of buying older technology but I am thinking for my first TT bike, the $1200 saving is a good idea. I could buy a nice set of Fulcrum 80mm wheels.

Any reason I shouldn't invest in the older tech and the aluminium frame?
PS the paint design on the B12 is a tick in it's favour though; I absolutely love it!
Ht: 182cm | Wt: 84kg | Bikes: Felt AR1 2016, Felt B2 2013
Sucessful Trades --> files.dward.us/Cycling/BNA-Trades.txt