Drive train ( shimano xt 1x1)
No votes
fork rockshox gold 30
No votes

Total votes: 0
beginerMTBrider

Mountain bike upgrade for budget Mountain bike

Postby beginerMTBrider » Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:58 pm

Hello I posted a topic on which bike to get a few months ago and bought a Scott aspect 760 (https://www.scott-sports.com/au/en/prod ... -760-bike/.) I have found the bike to be amazing for its price and have lots of fun on it. I have taken up doing some racing on it and while I'm not very good I still have fun. I have saved up some money and am thinking about upgrading some components and since I found this forum very kind and responsive last time I thought I'd give it a go again. Here are my options
http://www.this link is broken/mobi ... prod142199. I would also like to know if this is compatible with my bike seeings I currently run a 3x7 set up and looking at getting a 1x11 and thought why not upgrade the entire drive chain.
My other option is a new fork while I like my bike it's fork is average and is a HL zoom
So i am considering upgrading to a rockshox 30 gold link here http://www.this link is broken/mobi ... prod109665
All help is appreciated and keep in mind I'm a not so hardcore cross country rider who tries some trail stuff. Please if vote in the poll as well as leave advice.

mitzikatzi

Re: Mountain bike upgrade for budget Mountain bike

Postby mitzikatzi » Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:06 pm

Neither. Maybe if you find some second hand drive train components cheap. Same with the fork someone else might have upgraded and there take off is better than your current one. Upgrading is expensive and you never get your money back. The cheapest way to buy parts is to buy an entire bike.

Ride and enjoy current bike. Fix what breaks. Save up and buy a new bike when the time comes.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:40 pm

To upgrade to anything from 7-sp. on the rear is going to require a new wheel. 7-sp. can be either a screw-on freewheel cluster, which is an entirely different attachment to the hub, or it can be a cassette style, but uses a shorter cassette body than 8/9/10/11-sp, so none of those will fit.

You're better off saving up and putting it into a whole new bike.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:29 am

Anything with 3x7 is right at the bottom of the range, and while perfectly servicable, upgrading is akin to 'rolling it in glitter'. Secondly what you upgrade on it is also probably going to be difficult to switch over to a new higher end frame. Axle standards, bottom brackets and forks are things that you might have trouble taking with you to a new frame.

About all I'd throw at a bike of that level is tyres or adding clipless shoes and pedals. Shoes and pedals are easy to switch to a new ride, tyres will be worn out if you ride enough. Ghetto tubeless would probably be a reasonable upgrade too.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.