which cycling jacket ?

koshari

Re: which cycling jacket ?

Postby koshari » Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:24 am

Defy The Odds wrote:I know you purchased your jacket already mate but I have one of these :

http://www.anacondastores.com/clothing/ ... 0030265001

It's not high end but it's very packable but durable also. Wind and shower resistant, I throw it on top of my cycling gear and it stops wind in its tracks. When I am done it folds away into jersey pocket.

Hope you enjoy the new jacket though
something to be said for wearing the "yellow jacket"

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:11 pm

warthog1 wrote:There are a few I cycle with who have Castelli Gabba jackets.
Seem alright but I haven't worn one .
http://cyclingtips.com/2015/08/castelli-gabba-2-review/

I have this one which I got a few years ago.
http://www.probikekit.co.uk/sports-clot ... 55357.html
I only wear it around the 5 -0c and below mark.
It is very warm.

My go to jacket most days in winter is a dhb goer.
http://cyclingtips.com/2014/08/dhb-wint ... ng-review/
Castelli's jackets are great. I have one that is branded inside "Rosso Corsa" from the old Garmin-Sharp cycling team. I don't know exactly what the proper name of it is, but it is certainly made for those who are lean. Really, really warm. I wouldn't mind having another one of them, if I could find them (or the equivalent one).

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:58 pm

Think I've settled on a favourite.

6. Reid Tour Elite
5. Aldi Inoc
4. Altura Podium ( good packable but a little disappointed for middle of winter)
3. Campagnolo Textran thermo
2. Gore Bike wear Windstopper
Drum roll...
1. Primal Paradigm.

For the xxl size guy the Primal Paradigm was the stand out for me. Beautifully made with Zip armpits that extend down the size for venting. Soft shell thats windproof and waterproof (claimed but not tested). A great 3 season jacket for Melbourne conditions I reckon. I got it in sale for $125 but rrp is about $250. Combined with the $30 Aldi long sleeve merino I bought today which I think that combo together is going to be a winner.
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

Defy The Odds

Postby Defy The Odds » Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:42 pm

Enjoy mate.

I bought one over the weekend from Anaconda. I went in to have a look and they had 40% off their fluid brand tops. I got a nice soft shell vented jacket with zip off sleeves for $60 which is windprood and water resistant.

As you can tell I'm not that into the brand names, rather the fit and cost being my primary motivators for choice.

Will test it out this week hopefully

caneye

Postby caneye » Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:38 pm

i finally got the opportunity to try the Biemme Windstopper jacket (bought when it was half-price from torpedo7).
my word, it's fantastic when the temp drops down to single digits. kept me warm and snug, and doesn't overheat. no soaking of perspiration in mid and base layer. in fact, i only need a base layer.
it kept me warmer than my Gabba when temp < 7C.
it felt like it might be too warm above 12C though.
at less than half the price of the Gabba, it is simply outstanding value for money.

with the Gabba, i find that i have to use a folded-up newspaper to shield my torso until my body warms up. i also have a to wear both a mid and base-layer when <7C. the Gabba is more versatile and suitable for a wider range of temp though. probably something like 0-18C (believe you me, i wore it when it was 18C, at noon yesterday when i finished my ride.. yes, i felt really foolish, but hey .. i didn't overheat!)

just my $0.02.

ball bearing

Postby ball bearing » Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:08 pm

g-boaf wrote:
warthog1 wrote:There are a few I cycle with who have Castelli Gabba jackets.
Seem alright but I haven't worn one .
http://cyclingtips.com/2015/08/castelli-gabba-2-review/

I have this one which I got a few years ago.
http://www.probikekit.co.uk/sports-clot ... 55357.html
I only wear it around the 5 -0c and below mark.
It is very warm.

My go to jacket most days in winter is a dhb goer.
http://cyclingtips.com/2014/08/dhb-wint ... ng-review/
Castelli's jackets are great. I have one that is branded inside "Rosso Corsa" from the old Garmin-Sharp cycling team. I don't know exactly what the proper name of it is, but it is certainly made for those who are lean. Really, really warm. I wouldn't mind having another one of them, if I could find them (or the equivalent one).
You're not wrong about Castelli sizing. I usually wear a medium jersey for a skin tight fit so I thought I'd be safe getting the large sized Espresso Due - it fits as long as wrinkle-free wind shedding cycling is your thing. I just bought a second one - 3XL - and the fit is like one would expect in a form-fitting but slightly loose normal jacket. My slim wife inherited the large one and it is a good loose fit on her.

The conclusion I have come to is that the the Italian cycling sizing caters to the climbers that look like jockeys and don't want to wear an 3XS jersey.

The Espresso was much appreciated on last night's ride in freezing showers. I really like the wrist zippers that are magic for wearing over gloves.

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:59 pm

I've been thinking about the Castelli gilet, thanks for the heads up. Sounds like those SMS jerseys, they are plenty tight. I think the xxl might just fit.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:45 pm

ball bearing wrote:You're not wrong about Castelli sizing. I usually wear a medium jersey for a skin tight fit so I thought I'd be safe getting the large sized Espresso Due - it fits as long as wrinkle-free wind shedding cycling is your thing. I just bought a second one - 3XL - and the fit is like one would expect in a form-fitting but slightly loose normal jacket. My slim wife inherited the large one and it is a good loose fit on her.

The conclusion I have come to is that the the Italian cycling sizing caters to the climbers that look like jockeys and don't want to wear an 3XS jersey.

The Espresso was much appreciated on last night's ride in freezing showers. I really like the wrist zippers that are magic for wearing over gloves.
Yeah, built for very lean/fit riders. Now I'm actually quite lean, so I don't know who the small size is made for. But the infuriating thing with Castelli is that they aren't consistent with their sizing across the board.

Anything "Rosso Corsa" branded tends to be race-fit (and sometimes at the extreme end of race fit), while the regular stuff varies from one line to the next. :roll:

Cuore is another that tends to sizing on the small side. Champ-sys is fairly easy for sizing, small is small in race-cut, club-fit is too generously sized for lean folk.

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:08 pm

I went the cut-price version and picked up an Aldi cycling jacket today - the sizing is way out, I am 1.77m and ~85Kg and I had to go for a small size to get a close enough fit for my liking.
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:01 pm

Yeah most of the Aldi stuff runs big this year like US sizes. I think its a good thing to be honest getting back to normal tee shirt sizes like an XL rather than a 4xl like castelli or santini can be at times.

Primal wear is much the same larger sizing which I'm currently really liking...
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

Zippy7

Postby Zippy7 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:13 am

rodneycc wrote:Yeah most of the Aldi stuff runs big this year like US sizes. I think its a good thing to be honest getting back to normal tee shirt sizes like an XL rather than a 4xl like castelli or santini can be at times.

Primal wear is much the same larger sizing which I'm currently really liking...
My wife bought me the Aldi jersey, 3/4 knicks, gloves, all in XL. They don't run a little large, they're huge!
There is no way the 3/4 knicks are XL "97" waist. Way way bigger probably 110+, but then the legs are tiny, and I can see them falling down if you did a froomey and ran... Was interested in using them on the commute, but I guess I'll just continue with shorts.

The jersey is quite flappy - especially around the waist, and I wear plenty big size tops.
Probably will return the lot and just keep the CO2.

Thanks for the heads up about Primal wear - I was close to buying a top from wiggle/c r c last time it was on sale.
Successful trades : Rheicel, Je, wgc138, 2ndeffort, celeste boy, rodneycc

Rioli2Gunstall

Postby Rioli2Gunstall » Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:48 pm

I got some co2's, no refills there though.