which cycling jacket ?

rodneycc

which cycling jacket ?

Postby rodneycc » Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:36 pm

Looking for a decent cycling jacket better than the Aldi one I currently have.

Looking for something packable into a jersey pocket like a shell like jacket, windproof and fairly warm but well vented. Showerproof probably more than completely waterproof would do. Something that doesn't cost a bomb like Rapha or Assos.

The short list is:

Endura FS260-Pro SL Shell $200
Altura Podium ( the standard one in between the Shell and night one). $125
Showers Pass Elite. $175
Louis Garneau course race $99
Hinicape something $100
Madison Stratos $70
Altura Raceline $75
Endura Equipe

Anything else you can recommend or comments on the above.

The top two are winning at the moment.
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

Tim

Re: which cycling jacket ?

Postby Tim » Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:52 pm

Showerspass Elite 2.1 for complete wet weather protection is my choice.
This jacket has served me very well touring and proper heavy rain conditions. Excellent adjustable ventilation too so it doesn't need to be taken off when things heat up.
It won't fit in a jersey pocket though.
I've just arrived home from a drizzling 10 degree ride having hauled out my old Pearl Izumi Elite Barrier jacket. Shower, not water proof. Keeps the wind off, cheap(ish), fits in a jersey pocket.
Not overly breathable but quite well ventilated under the arms so it's not a sweatbox. Good for cold morning rides that warm up later.
It's had tons of use over the last 5-6 years. Well worth the money I paid for it.

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:01 pm

Thanks Tim, might take a closer look at Aushikers Showers Pass Elite 2.0 for sale. Looks about my size. Might be slightly different?

I will just add the jacket will mainly be used for 100km roadie rides where I would get caught out so needs to be lightweight. I don't particularly ride much in the rain.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:24 pm

Ground Effect Flash Gordon rain shell

Review here:
http://www.bicycles.net.au/2014/08/revi ... ll-jacket/

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:23 pm

Thanks TG. Yeah love GE stuff so that might go right up the top of my list and about the same cost as the Endura.

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:55 pm

Ive got a Pearl Izumi Elite Barrier jacket, about 4 years old now. Id recommend that for your list!

caneye

Postby caneye » Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:41 pm

have a look at the O2 Nokomis rain jacket also reviewed on BNA website (though ii cannot view it at the moment).

it is also a convertible jacket (sleeves are removable) and makes a handy gilet during the days when you're hit by 4 seasons within 24 hrs. Also ..
- breathable.
- waterproof zippers
- long tail on the rear of the jacket
- big pocket - you can fold the jacket into its own pocket

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:14 pm

Thanks guys will have a look at those as well. Very tempted by the Rapha classic wind jacket at $250 as well. Rain might be an issue but very tempting when the Flash gordon is $234 and the Endura is $220. So $30 extra Maybe just depends how waterproof I want it???

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:45 pm

I warm up very easily so I would recommend a convertible. Being able to remove the sleeves really helps when you want to lose some heat.

On the rare occasions where I really do need a sleeved jacket (for me generally 6 degrees or lower) if, like me, you like being a rolling advertisement for hard liquor, you could do worse than this:

If it's really cold you can end the ride with a wee dram of Water of Life ;)

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

slowK

Postby slowK » Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:11 pm

rodneycc wrote:Thanks guys will have a look at those as well. Very tempted by the Rapha classic wind jacket at $250 as well. Rain might be an issue but very tempting when the Flash gordon is $234 and the Endura is $220. So $30 extra Maybe just depends how waterproof I want it???
I have the Rapha classic wind jacket (it's the only bit of Rapha kit I own). It's OK, but not perfect. Good cut (not flappy), great reflectivity (reflective stripes down the arms). Water resistance isn't great - even a mild shower will let water through (light drizzle will be OK). My main gripe is that it could be more breathable. If it's <8 degrees then it's fine, but warmer than that I find I overheat, and it's a bit of a stretch to get it into a jersey pocket. I think if there were more breathable panels or vents on the back it would be much better (it's the same material all around).

Have been considering the Giro Chrono Wind Jacket. Looks like it has stretch material (i.e. a more snug fit), with mesh panels for breathability on back/sides. http://www.giro.com/eu_en/products/men/ ... acket.html Could be an option?

tomee

Postby tomee » Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:53 am

I have the Search & State S1-J jacket and it is my go to for rain, wind and cold
cut is nice and form fitting but not pro fitting. obviously in a down power it wont protect as well as a dedicated rain jacket but this jacket breathes as well and packs well.

for the really really cold mornings i use the Rapha classic soft shell

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:20 pm

slowK wrote:
rodneycc wrote:Thanks guys will have a look at those as well. Very tempted by the Rapha classic wind jacket at $250 as well. Rain might be an issue but very tempting when the Flash gordon is $234 and the Endura is $220. So $30 extra Maybe just depends how waterproof I want it???
I have the Rapha classic wind jacket (it's the only bit of Rapha kit I own). It's OK, but not perfect. Good cut (not flappy), great reflectivity (reflective stripes down the arms). Water resistance isn't great - even a mild shower will let water through (light drizzle will be OK). My main gripe is that it could be more breathable. If it's <8 degrees then it's fine, but warmer than that I find I overheat, and it's a bit of a stretch to get it into a jersey pocket. I think if there were more breathable panels or vents on the back it would be much better (it's the same material all around).

Have been considering the Giro Chrono Wind Jacket. Looks like it has stretch material (i.e. a more snug fit), with mesh panels for breathability on back/sides. http://www.giro.com/eu_en/products/men/ ... acket.html Could be an option?
Thanks that's great info on the Rapha Classic Wind jacket. I might leave that then. I like the Rapha Softshells as well but $250 was really over my limit for a Jacket and Softshells seem to be the most expensive.

That Giro Chrono looks interesting but I can't seem to find a decent review on that. Must be pretty new. Wish it came in a few more colours. I can find it for $165 at Merlin (I can get the Altura Podium for $121 at Merlin also with 25%off which is probably a better deal - maybe not a better jacket though??).

If I could find the Endura FS260 at a decent discount I'd probably go that or another one for the list is the Ground Effect The Phantom at $165 (gone off the Flash Gordon at $237 unless they have some kind of sale coming up).

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:35 pm

tomee wrote:I have the Search & State S1-J jacket and it is my go to for rain, wind and cold
cut is nice and form fitting but not pro fitting. obviously in a down power it wont protect as well as a dedicated rain jacket but this jacket breathes as well and packs well.

Hey Tomee where did you get your Search and State S1-J Jacket from? They have great reviews but I can only see them available in the US and the postage is like $30. At about $260 this is prob out of my budget but looks a great jacket (along with those Gore Bike Wear jackets which are too expensive as well!).

mogwaiboi

Postby mogwaiboi » Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:45 pm

I've read good things about the Sportful Fiandre Light Wind Jersey, $191 at Wiggle http://www.this link is broken.au/sportful-fiand ... nd-jersey/.
I went the next level up with the Fiandre NoRain Cycling Jacket http://www.this link is broken/sportful-fiandr ... in-jacket/, which isn't really packable . I haven't worn it as yet but I read it's good for days when the rain has set in and it's cold as well.
There is also the FIANDRE LIGHT WINDSTOPPER JACKET http://www.sigmasport.co.uk/item/Sportf ... acket/466N.
I also have the Endura Helium Jacket which is on special at Chain Reaction at the moment for $81 http://www.this link is broken/au/e ... prod149025. That's packable and good when the rain is heavy.
Unless it's really cold my go to kit is the Sportful Hot Pack 5 vest or jacket, Gabba 2 short sleeve, nanoflex arm warmers and merino base layer.
Avoiding pissed of bogans in SUV's...

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:51 pm

This might be a really dumb move but seriously considering the Reid Tour Elite jacket for just $36. Can't go too far wrong??

https://www.reidcycles.com.au/reid-tour ... black.html

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:17 pm

I've got this one

I wrote a review too.

It is doing the job for me. I like being able to fold it up and stick it in a pocket.

Cheers,

Cameron

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:53 pm

Nice Blucher and like the price but only small sizes left.

So..I've pulled the trigger on the Reid tour elite jacket which may end up as a spare so see how that one goes for the moment and I may go something a little more expensive next week.

Gone from Rapha to Reid... A riches to rags story :-)

tomee

Postby tomee » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:21 am

rodneycc wrote:
tomee wrote:I have the Search & State S1-J jacket and it is my go to for rain, wind and cold

Hey Tomee where did you get your Search and State S1-J Jacket from? They have great reviews but I can only see them available in the US and the postage is like $30. At about $260 this is prob out of my budget but looks a great jacket (along with those Gore Bike Wear jackets which are too expensive as well!).
I bought direct from them when the dollar was OKish.
CyclingTips has a store selling SAS but they dont stock the jacket.

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:20 pm

Not sure why I have gone on this epic Jacket adventure (maybe lack of buying cycling stuff lately and cheaper than another new bike!). But I have settled on the Altura Vapour and the Altura Podium. Both jersey pocket packable. the Vapour is suppose to be for Winter and the Podium for Autumn/Spring. I couldn't decide which one so I've gone and bought both just to avoid the ugly oh I should of bought the other one moment... $80 for the Vapour and the $120 for the Podium at Merlin (which is becoming my favorite shop after Chain Reaction and Ribble seem to have been eaten up). So that's the price I would of paid for a nice Rapha or Gore. I ended up pulling out of the Endura FS260 because I have heard they are an ultra slim fit (which I'm not).

Anyway Thanks for all the input and feel free to continue the discussion on your favourite jacket.

Edit: I also must of got the last stock of these two Altura Jackets in my size - Now showing not available. So that makes me feel a little happier that I've just snuck in time!.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:41 pm

There are a few I cycle with who have Castelli Gabba jackets.
Seem alright but I haven't worn one .
http://cyclingtips.com/2015/08/castelli-gabba-2-review/

I have this one which I got a few years ago.
http://www.probikekit.co.uk/sports-clot ... 55357.html
I only wear it around the 5 -0c and below mark.
It is very warm.

My go to jacket most days in winter is a dhb goer.
http://cyclingtips.com/2014/08/dhb-wint ... ng-review/
Dogs are the best people :wink:

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:06 am

Is there much difference between the waterproof vs windproof jackets? Other than the obvious 8) I very rarely head out in the rain so wandering if I get "anything" if I went a windproof jacket instead.

I have a dhb asv event waterproof jacket. I like that it fits into a jersey pocket. I take it off when going up hills and put it back on when going down. It could fit better but doesnt really flap.

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:14 am

eeksll wrote:Is there much difference between the waterproof vs windproof jackets? Other than the obvious 8) I very rarely head out in the rain so wandering if I get "anything" if I went a windproof jacket instead.

I have a dhb asv event waterproof jacket. I like that it fits into a jersey pocket. I take it off when going up hills and put it back on when going down. It could fit better but doesnt really flap.
Then the Ground Effect Turbine would be a good choice.

Reviewed by Christopher: The Ground Effect Turbine and Frosty Boys Jackets in Review
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:00 pm

I was very close to going with the Turbine or actually the The Phantom more. They have great reviews and you know you are going to get good stuff from Ground effect products.

I would of liked a Castelli Gabba 2 but I have started to boycott Castelli branded stuff because its just too damn small and been caught out a number of times.

From what I have read (road.cc and bikeradar were great for this with all their reviews) is that your soft shell windproof is always going to be better than your weatherproof in terms of breathing and feel and that was the bif dilemea for me as well - i.e did I actually need something water/weatherproof.

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:11 pm

So after some super quick delivery from Reid cycles I have the Reid Tour Elite Jacket with me now. I'm a little disappointed (but I kind of knew I would be). Its a bit of a crinkley jacket and doesn't look terribly breathable. Its well made though and looks like it has taped seems and I love the two hand pockets at the front so it might be ok for a general jacket off the bike although I generally like a bit more room with my everyday wear jackets. For $36.99 its not bad really if you really needed something. Not Packable is another killer (I wasn't expecting it to be packable as it didn't mention it when purchased). The hood is good so I may even steal the hood to wear with the other jackets. I guess I got what I paid for really....

Defy The Odds

Postby Defy The Odds » Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:37 am

I know you purchased your jacket already mate but I have one of these :

http://www.anacondastores.com/clothing/ ... 0030265001

It's not high end but it's very packable but durable also. Wind and shower resistant, I throw it on top of my cycling gear and it stops wind in its tracks. When I am done it folds away into jersey pocket.

Hope you enjoy the new jacket though