Tall guy (6'5"), new to cycling and looking to buy my first road bike

Rian199

Tall guy (6'5"), new to cycling and looking to buy my first road bike

Postby Rian199 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:43 pm

Hey guys, I'm new to cycling but looking to get involved and by my first proper road bike. I am a tall guy coming in at about 6'5", and I have been told by a guy at a store up in Geraldton, WA to look at a 64cm, maybe a 61cm frame. I have been looking at the Specialized Roubaix SL4. Looking to go Carbon straight of the bat. Any suggestions or anyone selling their bikes in this range that would suite my height? Looking to not really spend more than $2500, preferably less :p Thanks!

TheWall

Re: Tall guy (6'5"), new to cycling and looking to buy my first road bike

Postby TheWall » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:43 pm

Welcome to the forum Rian199.

Although I am not as tall as you (192cm), so just shy of 6'4, I can relate here.

When I went bike shopping for my 1st bike I was thinking the 61 for me. A couple of bikes shops later I realised I was better on a 58 so perhaps the 61 for you...and I ended up with a Roubaix.

As for the Roubaix there are a couple of threads on them so a search should find those. Really great bike and should suit a relative newby due to its geometry and comfort.

Enjoy getting out there!

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:20 pm

You might be new, but with a fancy new bike you can aim high.

Cheers

Cameron (I'm only 187cm and somehow the pro teams have overlooked me)

RhapsodyX

Postby RhapsodyX » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:18 am

Check out Ribble's "home brand" carbon frames, they make them in 64cm... although they do tend to have shorter top-tubes and are more suitable for people with long legs. Also - run your body through the competetivecyclist "Fit Calculator", it does a pretty good job to get you in the frame size ball park.

mmc22

Postby mmc22 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:10 am

I'm your height (well 198cm). My first bike was a CAAD 10 size 63 and totally regret getting rid of it.

Since then I've had a Twenty2 Cycles Titanium made up with a 61.3cm TT and also have a BMC SLR01 size 60 that has a 59cm TT.

However it's not always about top tube length. Reach and stack height are arguably just as, if not more important, in getting the right fit.
https://roadcyclinguk.com/gear/choose-r ... ame.html/3

Also that competetivecyclist Fit Calculator can be a good start, but can give you some pretty wild numbers with your measurements.

I've found that both Cannondale and BMC are a little larger in their fit than others I've been on and tried, but that will come down to fit preference (long legs vs long torso vs long arms)

Ideally a custom geo made to measure would suit best, but I know that's not within everyone's budget or focus.

Gratuitous chance to show my bikes below;
Twenty2
BMC

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:57 pm

I am short compared to you 184cm, but a 2m friend of mind, cracked his frame (62cm TT), while waiting to warranty, he needed a bike to train and race on. So I Ient him my first bike (58 TT), it took him a few days to adjust, but he found it faster and more agile to race. Because his position of the bike was more aero and his weight was more over the front wheel.

Like my friend, I was sized by height for my first bike, over time I have found I prefer smaller frames. My current race bike is a 53.5 TT. I bought the frame believing it was a 55 TT Med, only to build it up and find out it was a 53.5 TT Small, fitted a longer stem 130mm (it is flipped) and never looked back.

My advice to you is try to ride ( and I mean 20 minute+) as many different sized bikes as possible. At least a 57-58 TT, 60-61 TT and 62-63 TT if possible* and buy the one you feel most comfortable riding on. If two sizes are the same, go the smaller one, as more you ride the more flexible you get, the better it will be for you.

* located in Geraldton makes it difficult, and bike shops will not order in extreme sizes (XS or smaller, XL or larger) unless they have a guaranteed sale. So it is ask friends, hope your local bike shop can call in favours from tall customers etc.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:29 pm

Rian - spend some bucks on a biomechanical bike fit. a decent fit will tell you what size frame/style (race/endurance) to look at

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:53 am

jasonc wrote:Rian - spend some bucks on a biomechanical bike fit. a decent fit will tell you what size frame/style (race/endurance) to look at
He is like 600km away from the closest location that can do that. But if you're planning a trip to perth, well it would be a good trip to get something like that done.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

brawlo

Postby brawlo » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:04 pm

I'm 6'5" and bought a XXXL Canyon CFSL. The 7.0 will land here for $2500 with full 105 kit. I actually still have the first one they sent me too that has a broken seatstay courtesy of a savage courier. I'm thinking of getting it fixed. Too nice a frame to just throw away and it's brand new! What size fits really depends on your physical dimensions though