New paint protection?

daft1024

New paint protection?

Postby daft1024 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:23 pm

I've thinking about a new bike and the owner reviews seem to indicate the paint is thin and scratches/chips easy.

Everything else about the bike seems right what I'm looking for, so I'm wondering if there is anything I could do to minimise it looking dowdy quickly.

I'm wondering if anyone has applied an aftermarket paint protection to their bike? I had a new car once that had this opti-coat stuff and it really protected the paint for a few years and made it super easy to clean.

Just wondering if anyone has tried anything like that on their bike?

RonK

Re: New paint protection?

Postby RonK » Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:28 pm

daft1024 wrote:I've thinking about a new bike and the owner reviews seem to indicate the paint is thin and scratches/chips easy.

Everything else about the bike seems right what I'm looking for, so I'm wondering if there is anything I could do to minimise it looking dowdy quickly.

I'm wondering if anyone has applied an aftermarket paint protection to their bike? I had a new car once that had this opti-coat stuff and it really protected the paint for a few years and made it super easy to clean.

Just wondering if anyone has tried anything like that on their bike?
Paint protection coatings won't prevent scratches and chips.

A paint protection film (commonly known as helicopter tape) such as Frameskin will probably offer better protection.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

daft1024

Postby daft1024 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:42 pm

Yeah I've seen the tape used on race cars and it worked pretty well. I'm guessing it would work well on chainstays etc pretty well. What I was thinking about was these ceramic style paint coatings.

The one I has on a car did an decent job of minimising gravel chips on the front spoiler etc... Just wondering if i might work on bikes too. I rang the guy who did the car and he wasn't sure. He certainly hadn't used it on bicycles.

Im guessing bikes use normal two pack paints?

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:04 pm

Many bikes, including all carbon, are finished with a polyurethane clearcoat, which is pretty tough stuff.

The stuff you're thinking of might be what's known as "Diamond Guard" or something like that, which is used a fair bit on cars, and although some bike manufacturers have used it, it's not that common. I have no idea where you'd get it or even if it's available to the general public, but it's my very limited understanding that it's the kind of stuff you'd need very good preparation for, and a facility to bake it to cure properly.

That's not to say a post-manufacture polyurethane coat is any less particular in regards to preparation, but they generally don't need to be baked at least.....
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:22 pm

I've Frameskinned several bikes and it sure works.
It won't protect against everything, but stones and scuffs and the odd dropped tool...
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

beanbiken

Postby beanbiken » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:42 pm

Vote here also for Frameskin. All my bikes have been "skinned" including cranks. Just sold a crank set which had been protected by a Frameskin kit. Removed it an it seriously looked as good as new underneath. Certainly makes your item much more presentable. As above it is not bullet proof but for general wear and tear.............

Should add that I would not consider building up a new bike and not fitting a FS kit

daft1024

Postby daft1024 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:35 pm

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm buying a complete bike. I'm guessing fitting the FS kit would be a little harder to fit - but not impossible?

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:50 pm

Easy to fit - there's a video on the website by Alan.

daft1024

Postby daft1024 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:46 am

I fit the frameskin kit on the weekend. I must admit I'm not overly impressed. I had a really tough time getting the bubble outs from underneath the film. Coming up on 3 hours of faffing around I called it a day. I'm not real happy with the final product - but in reality I'm not looking at the bike if I'm riding :-). I'm hoping it does it job with protection though.

I've noticed the edges collect dirt and dust highlighting the protection. This is on a white frame and its most noticeable on the forks. The forks are also the worst for the bubbles.

The other thing that annoyed me was the website states the kit includes a custom shaped decal for the headtube in addition to plenty of dots of various shapes to cater for cable rub points. This is not actually the case with only the dots included.

I thought this would be a piece that would wrap around the headtube rather than just using the usual dots. I contacted frameskin and they told me that its too hard to include a generic wrap for headtubes due to variability in framesizing. So why the need to say custom shaped decals for the headtube are included rather than saying more accurately that there are lots of dots to be used on the headtube to prevent cable rub?

I'm thinking the matt finish on a matt frame might hide the imperfections better.

Before I fitted it I wondered why bike shops don't include a skinning service as a option on new bike sales. It would certainly be quicker on a bare frame. Afterwards I kind understand as there is the potential for lots of stuffing around to end up with a final outcome that the customer might not be happy with.

idler

Postby idler » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:33 pm

Easier alternative (to apply) for Frameskin is "3M Genuine Scotchgard Paint Protection Film" - available in small sheets via ebay.
Rikulau Stainless Steel, Hillbrick Steel, Specialized Tarmac

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:51 pm

daft1024 wrote:I fit the frameskin kit on the weekend. I must admit I'm not overly impressed. I had a really tough time getting the bubble outs from underneath the film. Coming up on 3 hours of faffing around I called it a day. I'm not real happy with the final product - but in reality I'm not looking at the bike if I'm riding :-). I'm hoping it does it job with protection though.
Shame - 3 hrs is a long time. The first bike I did I think I did the best job; the worst was my girlfriend's Zesty. I did it at night in the garage with a head torch and rushed it. But I did get to use her AMAZING hairdryer (Parlux in case anyone is interested).

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:25 pm

You use the same technique as used to apply window tint film, using a diluted detergent solution to float the film to the correct position and to work out any trapped air.

Did you watch the video?

This 3M video gives an even better insight...

Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

idler

Postby idler » Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:43 pm

With the 3M film, for small areas or just using as longish strips, you just peel it off and stick it on (once the area has been cleaned of course). Best thing I have ever found for cable rub areas for example. I also use it on chain stays (top and bottom) and under the down tube and top tube (rear brake cable is exposed under the top tube).
Rikulau Stainless Steel, Hillbrick Steel, Specialized Tarmac

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:49 pm

idler wrote: Best thing I have ever found for cable rub areas for example. I also use it on chain stays (top and bottom) and under the down tube and top tube (rear brake cable is exposed under the top tube).
Also good for the car where the bike rack sits, and fixes holes in vacuum storage bags. And punctures too.

daft1024

Postby daft1024 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:12 pm

ValleyForge wrote:Shame - 3 hrs is a long time. The first bike I did I think I did the best job; the worst was my girlfriend's Zesty. I did it at night in the garage with a head torch and rushed it. But I did get to use her AMAZING hairdryer (Parlux in case anyone is interested).
Oh yes! I was thinking the same thing about the time it took... I started on the forks which I think was a mistake - probably should have started on the down or top tubes which went on surprisingly easy after I gave up on the forks :-)

Perhaps the problem was I didn't have a fancy hairdryer :-)

DaveQB

Postby DaveQB » Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:23 pm

This is what I am using:

https://www.bunnings.com.au/bear-48mm-x ... e_p1661582

It's a thickish, clear tape that you can cut to whatever size you want. Doesn't peel off easily and seems to add decent protection. Can add layers for a thicker cover.
Ht: 182cm | Wt: 84kg | Bikes: Felt AR1 2016, Felt B2 2013
Sucessful Trades --> files.dward.us/Cycling/BNA-Trades.txt

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:17 pm

DaveQB wrote:This is what I am using:

It's a thickish, clear tape that you can cut to whatever size you want. Doesn't peel off easily and seems to add decent protection. Can add layers for a thicker cover.
have you tried removing it? will it rip off paint/clear coat?

beanbiken

Postby beanbiken » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:19 pm

In regards to the FS kits I would suggest to always buy the premium film. It is a bit thinner but it is much easier to shape and work, potentially gives a much better result.

DaveQB

Postby DaveQB » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:56 am

eeksll wrote:

have you tried removing it? will it rip off paint/clear coat?
I haven't used it long term yet, (at least not on my bike). I doubt it will. It's not that sticky. It feels like it would never get that stuck. Peels off easy enough with your fingers but doesn't lift at the edges on its own. I think that's due to its thickness.
Ht: 182cm | Wt: 84kg | Bikes: Felt AR1 2016, Felt B2 2013
Sucessful Trades --> files.dward.us/Cycling/BNA-Trades.txt

daft1024

Postby daft1024 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:03 pm

beanbiken wrote:In regards to the FS kits I would suggest to always buy the premium film. It is a bit thinner but it is much easier to shape and work, potentially gives a much better result.
I used the premium film. Was still a PITA for me :-)

Brownturk

Postby Brownturk » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:20 pm

Hey Dave, just wondering how the Bear tape held up? Did it yellow, go hard or crack? How well has it protected your bike? Really keen to know. Thanks in advance. TB

Brownturk

Postby Brownturk » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:27 pm

Has anyone got a long term review on any of the following:
$160 Frameskin, $80 AMS film and the $16 Bear Tape Bunnings option? Obviously keen to know how the Bear Tape lasted/protected as it's by far the cheapest option. Thank you.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:50 pm

Brownturk wrote:Has anyone got a long term review on any of the following:
$160 Frameskin, $80 AMS film and the $16 Bear Tape Bunnings option? Obviously keen to know how the Bear Tape lasted/protected as it's by far the cheapest option. Thank you.
I can't comment on the ones above, but I just ordered some Helicopter Tape off e-bay to put on my bike

http://r.ebay.com/wrNHqM
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

adam0bmx0

Postby adam0bmx0 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:22 pm

I've used 'helicopter' tape in the past on a carbon framed Focus Cayo, when I sold the bike I wanted to remove the film as it had discoloured due to dirt/UV, heated the film first with a hairdryer to remove and it did take clear coat with it in some places. :(

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:30 pm

Brownturk wrote:Has anyone got a long term review on any of the following:
I've FrameSkinned a lot of bikes, and I use it on the back of my car where my rack rests on the paintwork.

The first bike I did back in 2012 and apart from a bit of grease/brake dust under the edges of the FS on the forks, you still wouldn't know it's there. And it's tough too. It's on my kid's MTBs and there is only one gouge to speak off.
It's not a quick job putting it on and I cursed like merry hell when I dropped the top-tube piece in the dirt doing my son's new Focus last year. Do it in full sunlight, follow the instructions and take your time.