Distribution of Scicon Aerocomfort 2.0

billy70

Distribution of Scicon Aerocomfort 2.0

Postby billy70 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:54 am

I note that a lot of the U.K. outlets stopped carrying the Scicon Aerocomfort 2.0 and distribution seems to be more concentrated. This appears to have occurred about 12 months ago.

Discounting sales can often then be reduced. For example, PBK are running a price in the low $500's but I'm wondering if that's now reasonable?

Any advice?

MichaelB

Re: Distribution of Scicon Aerocomfort 2.0

Postby MichaelB » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:32 pm

Im in the process of reviewing this bag for BNA, and did a trial pack the other night. I'll be using it for real when I head to Italy & France on the 8th of July :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

The bag is top quality and even comes with a bag full of bits like padding rolls (for where the straps hold the bike down), skewers to hold the bike in the frame, a spare castor and a mini-pump for re-inflating the tyres.

Even when unboxing the bag, packing the bike for the 1st time and taking pics, it took me about 15 min. Still even had the winter fenders on the bike !!!!

For me (my mate coming with me is using a hard case supplied by a fellow BNMA mamber as a loaner), the HUGE benefit is that all that has to be removed is the wheels. I can even leave my Garmin on ! This will yield huge benefits at the other end by being able to rinding within 5 min of arriving. It will take longer to change into riding gear. My mate will have to remove pedals, bars from stem, and remove RD - none of that with the Aerocomfort.

Another huge advantage is that it then folds down to a smaller package for when you do internal travel by car. The Aerocomfort can probably even be packed inside the other hardcase !!

Quality is also there.

For a laugh, and a show of how quick it can be done, here a loo at the Scicon World Bike Packing Championships

Cheers

Michael B

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:21 pm

MichaelB wrote:My mate will have to remove pedals, bars from stem, and remove RD - none of that with the Aerocomfort.
Regardless what the manufacturer suggests, remove the derailleur AND buy a spare hanger now! Would be nothing worse than getting there and not being able to ride. Being smug at the minimal disassembly not could backfire drastically on arrival... Baggage handlers are very adept at breaking the unbreakable!

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:26 pm

dalai47 wrote:
MichaelB wrote:My mate will have to remove pedals, bars from stem, and remove RD - none of that with the Aerocomfort.
Regardless what the manufacturer suggests, remove the derailleur AND buy a spare hanger now! Would be nothing worse than getting there and not being able to ride. Being smug at the minimal disassembly not could backfire drastically on arrival... Baggage handlers are very adept at breaking the unbreakable!
I have the Aerocomfort 1.0 version and it came with a steel derailleur protector. There's no need to remove the derailleur. The weak point in the bag is that the shifters can be bumped. I use a section of PVC pipe across the top of the bag at the front, along with some padding, which prevents the shifters from being knocked.

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:39 pm

biker jk wrote:I have the Aerocomfort 1.0 version and it came with a steel derailleur protector. There's no need to remove the derailleur..
Having sat enough times in the window seat watching the baggage handlers practising for the next highland games, I still take it off regardless... :wink:

Ross

Postby Ross » Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:43 am

MichaelB wrote:
Another huge advantage is that it then folds down to a smaller package for when you do internal travel by car. The Aerocomfort can probably even be packed inside the other hardcase !!
How do you do that, it has a metal frame inside it?

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:34 am

Thanks for the additional feedback guys.

I have a spare hanger, and will take that with me, great idea.

There is a very substantial metal frame that goes over the RD, and there is also the frame there, so will probably not remove RD.

The tip re the PVC pipe between the shifters is also good - have plenty of suitable pipe at home as well. Will do. Thanks biker jk

re the metal frame inside - it is just the base that is metal, and the metal extension for the fork mount is removable. Doesn't fold down to nothing, but is almost medium duffle bag size.

billy70

Postby billy70 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:22 am

Thanks for the great advice and tips. I've pulled the trigger and look forward to putting it into play.

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:38 am

For additional protection, I bought and use pipe lagging and various lengths of reusable zip ties.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:48 pm

A friend of a friend is over in France now. His bike was in a soft case, which I believe was the Scion Aerocomfort bag.

This is what is looked like after it arrived:-

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:09 pm

Can't see as i can't access farcebook from work.

What does it look like and end result ?

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:39 pm

MichaelB wrote:Can't see as i can't access farcebook from work.

He was lucky. Only bag torn and handlebar snapped on the drops one side.

Which is why I went with the Polaris EVA bike pod. Close to the weight of a soft bag, close to the protection of a hard case... Been in the holds of dozens of planes with only one issue so far*. And that includes being rummaged through and poorly repacked by TSA officials on entering the US.

*Sending coil inside my SRM cranks were damaged on the return from the States! Must have taken quite a drop to do that and the case plus the rest of the contents were fine.

Patt0

Postby Patt0 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:50 pm

Nothing is invincible. I spent two months pondering cases and ended up putting my own together. Cost less Han a hundred and an hours work. Has the benefits of a aero comfort and a hardcase. Aero comfort would have been my first choice but from my understanding it would have needed work to fit my bike.Will post pics and instructions when I get back and it is successful.

https://imgur.com/a/g3sKY

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:55 am

Patt0 wrote:Nothing is invincible....
100% correct. That's what you have insurance for.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:22 am

I've traveled to France with the Aerocomfort Plus and had no problems. Only the shifters were bumped on my wife's bag but since we've used the PVC pipe across the top of the handlebars there hasn't been a single problem. Conversely,a guy who used a Polaris type bag had his derailleur hanger bent.

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:44 am

Did he leave his derailleur on? User error...

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:46 am

MichaelB wrote:Can't see as i can't access farcebook from work.

I can grab the photo, but since Tapatalk is gone I have nowhere to host my photos :-(

Basically his carbon bars got stomped on, but the damage was hidden under the bar tape and he didn't find out until riding it. Needed a new set of $300 bars and has indicated he will using a hard case from now on.

I'm heading to Europe next year so I am looking at bike boxes too. I'm not keen on the soft case ones as I have seen first hand how baggage handlers work.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

Patt0

Postby Patt0 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:27 pm

Has two travel modes. Wheels off for everything except air. Then I take RD, pedals and handlebar off.

Here it is after car travel https://i.imgur.com/eau2aT2.jpg

All the bubble wrap is used for plane travel.

Basically just the bike sack, 5mm corflute sides and a pvc pipe base to mount the frame. 7kg including 1kg bubble wrap. I didn't have time to put on wheels, but have a donor pram that has some nice ones.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:38 am

Didn't take discs off ?

I'm wondering whether to bother or just put the discs on the inside of the bag.

A bent disc will be a PITA to fix

Patt0

Postby Patt0 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:08 pm

There is 5mm corflute between them and the outside and being in the car not much can happen. On the plane the wheels are flipped, discs on the inside. I have never taken the discs off. I will do tonight for giggles when I put her back together. On the road again atm.

Ross

Postby Ross » Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:01 am

PBK appear to sell Scicon bags to Austraian customers - 5% discount too when you use SCICON code
http://www.probikekit.com.au/brands/scicon.list

Torpedo7 also do their own version, considerably cheaper than genuine Scicon
http://www.torpedo7.com.au/products/T7B ... o-bike-bag

Actually $100 cheaper if you buy it through eBay if you aren't a club member

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TORPEDO7-Jet ... Swx-9Ww9C8

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:23 am

Well, final pack was done last night. Added in PVC tube between shifter as recommended, left the RD on, but tcked up away in innermost position, packed spare RD hanger, and used the little pouch to pack some spares in.

All up weighed in at 18.8kg :)

3 more sleeps :mrgreen:

Rex

Postby Rex » Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:58 pm

Took my Scicon Aerocomfort 2.0 to Belgium a few months ago with all my clothing clothing, gear etc inside.
Weighed bang on 30kg :)

Shifters got bumped in on both legs.
And the plastic disc on the side of the bag got ripped off when coming home :/

Took the rear mech and chain off for both legs also.

Bought it $380 2nd hand, sold it for $350 when I got back

hooman

Postby hooman » Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:56 pm

I've got a Scicon Aerocomfort 1 (not much different to 2 and has the rear derailleur guard which is great) sitting collecting dust. It's in new condition. Anyone wants it, make me an offer. Used only once to get a bike to my cousin as a present from Perth to Sydney. Great kit!
It's in Kensington, Sydney.
Regards, Hooman

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:47 pm

Regarding bent shifters, I used the strategy of marking the position and then loosening the so the can move if knocked.

A technique for increasing strength is rolling cardboard into tubes for lateral bracing.

Scicon are selling directly to Australia with free shipping and currently have a discount.
Cycling is in my BNA