Need Help to Decide a commuter bike

vinu

Need Help to Decide a commuter bike

Postby vinu » Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:41 pm

Hi Guys,

I want to buy a budget commuter bike below 400$ , checking out used bikes. My commute to office is only 5km one side which is downhill one way and uphill while coming back basically from St Leonards to Wynyard

I have a deal from one seller for a Giant Defy 1 2009 model , which he claims has not been ridden for last 3 years , the frame size is perfect for me . He is selling the bike for 375 $ .

I am confused now to go for a 6 year old bike or buy a new bike . This is my first bike , please help me out here

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Need Help to Decide a commuter bike

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:59 pm

G'Day vinu, welcome outside.

Those dollars could be the best you've ever spent or a huge mistake. I wouldn't buy second hand sight unseen and even then, I'd think about taking riding friend along to have a look too.
Don't forget the little extras like a helmet and some way of carrying whatever stuff you need.

Good luck
Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:25 am

For 5km each way you don't need anything too specific. If the Defy fits and is in budget, get it. It has mounts so you can fit a rack to carry stuff if required, and is also a good bike for getting some longer rides in on weekends too. Good, versatile bike.
Last edited by Duck! on Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:32 am

I would tend towards a new bike because of the warranty and peace-of-mind. While you can get better value from a second-hand bike, the more you know about bikes, the better.

For the Wynyard - St Leonards route, it is a little hilly and I would go for comfort so opt for a flat bar commuter bike rather than a road bike.
Cycling is in my BNA

Zippy7

Postby Zippy7 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:22 am

Hi Vinu,

Welcome to the forums and good on you for wanting to commute to work.

A couple of things to consider in helping you to make your decision
a) Are you DIY handy? (Do you service your own car? Would you feel up to servicing your own bike?)
if you don't have the knowledge, then youtube can help a lot (check out the GCN channel).
If you don't want to, then buy a new bike.

b) Presuming you don't have knowledge of bikes (hence coming here to the forums). Do you have friends who are knowledgeable about bikes? Perhaps they can come with you to check the bike over?

c) If you were buying a new bike, what is your intended budget? If you only wanted to spend ~$400, then you don't have a great deal of choice in terms of new bike. There is an Aldi bike on sale, but you'll need knowledge AND tools to set it up yourself. You're better off buying from LBS to get fitting and help (maybe even an invite to a basic maintenance course).

d) Going from St Leonards to Wynyard is pretty straightforward as it is mainly downhill. Going home to St Leonards will be your challenge :) It's pretty much all uphill from Milsons Point to Crows Nest. Try to get a bike that has a compact crankset (50/34) - that's the 2 rings at the front near your pedals. Also, make sure your rear cassette is at least 11-28, if not 11-30/11-32. This will make your ride home easier. It'll be heaps easier to find a new bike with 50/34 at the front and 11-30 at the back. No idea what your used bike has.

Since it's winter, days are shorter, so you might be commuting in the dark. Don't forget to you'll need to budget for helmet, lights (to see and to be seen), as well as some reflective gear.

Near St Leonards, 99 bikes is good for price (but they are always on sale, and if it isn't cheap enough today, just wait and it'll go on sale later). I would just be wary of them steering you into something in stock :)

Good luck.
Successful trades : Rheicel, Je, wgc138, 2ndeffort, celeste boy, rodneycc