$399 ALDI Road Bike - Crane

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: $399 ALDI Road Bike - Crane

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:53 pm

Nice work ianganderton - that is the best scenario for new buyers, to have someone who can set it up properly. I expect that some buyers may get stuck and then shocked at the $100+ service costs from the bike shop. A bike shop that provides good service certainly competes by filling in the gaps.
Cycling is in my BNA

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:41 pm

I'm fascinated by the geometry of the bikes, particularly when the Chris said that he fitted onto the M, at 185cm. I'm only a little taller at 187cm, but the top tubes on all my bikes are 58-60cm and they are mostly off-the-rack sizes which I run with 110-130mm stems. The step down to 56cm or even 54cm seems like a lot to me, and would mean quite a different relative bar position.

Looking at the reach measurement, I thought it was interesting that a 20mm difference in ETT, only translates into a 4mm difference in reach. Since I was now curious I measured up my bikes and found the reach to be pretty close to 40cm for each of them.

It seems to have a pretty slack head angle which might contribute to the feeling of sluggishness, but I'm still unsure about the interplay between rake, offset and wheel flop. I can't make a call on handling by looking at numbers.

I would still consider it as a budget commuter, because many of the second hand road bikes are not suitable for panniers, even if they have lugs, they are typically too short to provide heel clearance for big footed larger folk. I'm struggling with this now and find myself wondering how to push the rack further back, however I know that pushing the panniers further back will give some interesting handling characteristics under load. I wonder whether the raised position of the lugs on this bike offsets the fact that they are effectively further forward.

Cheers,

Cameron

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:20 am

I wonder what the chance of picking one up on gumtree for $499 will be in a few weeks? Maybe with some fancy photography with lens flare
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

koshari

Postby koshari » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:09 am

bychosis wrote:I wonder what the chance of picking one up on gumtree for $499 will be in a few weeks? Maybe with some fancy photography with lens flare
at that price its prolly viable to part one out,

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:48 pm

koshari wrote:
bychosis wrote:I wonder what the chance of picking one up on gumtree for $499 will be in a few weeks? Maybe with some fancy photography with lens flare
at that price its prolly viable to part one out,
jennay?

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:16 am

Several bikes in both sizes still avail at my local store this morning at 10:30.

The best buy for me was the long sleeve cycling jersey. Got it home and is a great fit and looks really good quality.

So another $80 down on jersey, 3/4 knicks, beanie and CO2 inflator. Aldi is loving me!
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:09 pm

I was sent on a mission to ALDI this morning for groceries and there were 4 bikes though the cashier said the people on the beaches hit the shopping centre much later.

Just a glance at the other gear. Let us know how the jersey performs on the bike.

Cheers
Christopher
Cycling is in my BNA

2rismo

Postby 2rismo » Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:34 pm

In theory could I buy one of these things, swap the cassette onto my Kickr and use it as a permanent installation on my trainer?

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:41 pm

Yes - you will want to get the same setup as your regular bike. If you swap the cassette, you may want to look at a different chain as well. The alternative is a second hand road bike.

Cheers
Christopher
Cycling is in my BNA

uart

Postby uart » Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:54 pm

Has anyone taken a look at the floor pump yet? Their previous ones have had good user feedback.

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:58 pm

The Villawood store had 3 bikes at 9am. 2 blue ones in large, and a red medium. Its very good value, but to new people, $400 is more than double of the BSOs. There were a stack of mountain bikes from a long time ago too, so I doubt the road bikes are going anywhere soon. Maybe even on discount in a couple weeks time.

It is interesting to see that these bikes are Indonesian made.

I went in mainly after the floor pump. Metal one with a gauge at $30 is promising. However, it wasn't as good as I thought. The pump action feels dry, and the pump head is a single valve(have to flip the rubber piece to switch between presta and car vavles). The wooden handle is fancy, but has a raw finish. A bit rough to the touch, but it'll probably smooth up as you use it. I'll continue using my dying pump and wait until it goes on clearance in a couple weeks time.
VillaVelo, by the Vuong brothers

Blog: https://villaveloframes.wordpress.com/
FB & IG: @villaveloframes

Newcastle Dave

Postby Newcastle Dave » Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:13 pm

No XL Jerseys at any of the 3 stores I tried :(

Did get a beanie and a CO2 as a backup

2rismo

Postby 2rismo » Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:57 pm

AUbicycles wrote:Yes - you will want to get the same setup as your regular bike. If you swap the cassette, you may want to look at a different chain as well. The alternative is a second hand road bike.

Cheers
Christopher
Rather than putting my good bike on and off the Kickr all the time I'd rather something was permanently installed on it. I've had a professional bike fit done for my Domane 6.9 Disc so would just match the new Aldi/cheap 2nd hand bike setup to my bike fit paperwork and away I go.

Now who's selling a very cheap second-hand large frame (~58cm) I can use for the above before I go and buy the Aldi thing? :)

uart

Postby uart » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:36 pm

QuangVuong wrote: I went in mainly after the floor pump. Metal one with a gauge at $30 is promising. However, it wasn't as good as I thought. The pump action feels dry, and the pump head is a single valve(have to flip the rubber piece to switch between presta and car vavles). The wooden handle is fancy, but has a raw finish. A bit rough to the touch, but it'll probably smooth up as you use it.
I think I'll pick one up tonight. I usually lube the washer first thing when I get a new pump anyway, so it doesn't bother me if it feels a little dry as new. I've already got a couple of pumps that are only any good for car valve pressures, so leaving this one set up for presta is no problems either. Rough handle, ha, I've got rougher hands. :)

Ross

Postby Ross » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:52 pm

Plenty of bikes left at Gungahlin (ACT) store this evening, mostly blue with only a couple of red ones. Didn't appear to have any track pumps. Not many jackets, maybe six or so of each (M & F), even less jerseys, quite a few beanies, maybe six or so pairs of gloves. Only maybe three WD chain lube left and probably six or so WD bike wash. Plenty of CO2 gizmos left. Plenty of lights too.

I bought a jacket, haven't used it yet. It is very thin material so not really for winter (unless you live in FNQ :twisted: ), supposedly merino, looks like it is shower resistant. Three pockets in the back and another with a zip for putting keys or phones in. Mens one is a nice shade of blue (similar to the blue of this forum) with reflective markings on the upper back. Sleeeves have elastic cuffs to prevent wind getting up there.

I bought gloves as well, just because, I didn't really need them but it's always handy to have a spare pair or three. Pretty thin, so again, more suitable for FNQ winters rather than Canberra winters. They have some leather (?) sewn into the palm to provide some comfort on rough terrain and protection incase of a crash.

Also bought a beanie, again, just because. According to the propaganda packaging they are supposed to be merino too but look more like lycra to me. Haven't actually pulled it out of the packaging yet. :oops: Comes in all black or mostly blue with black trim.

Ross

Postby Ross » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:57 pm

QuangVuong wrote:
I went in mainly after the floor pump. Metal one with a gauge at $30 is promising. However, it wasn't as good as I thought. The pump action feels dry, and the pump head is a single valve(have to flip the rubber piece to switch between presta and car vavles). The wooden handle is fancy, but has a raw finish. A bit rough to the touch, but it'll probably smooth up as you use it. I'll continue using my dying pump and wait until it goes on clearance in a couple weeks time.
For only a few dollars more these Jet Black are good/better value for money track pumps -
http://www.99bikes.com.au/floor-pump-je ... ttle-fella

robbo mcs

Postby robbo mcs » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:18 pm

QuangVuong wrote:I went in mainly after the floor pump. Metal one with a gauge at $30 is promising. However, it wasn't as good as I thought. The pump action feels dry, and the pump head is a single valve(have to flip the rubber piece to switch between presta and car vavles).
This is incorrect about the valve. I have just bought one. There is a single head, but it is a universal fitting that goes on both schrader and presta valves, so no need to flip it over. I just tried it on my MTB (schrader) and road bike (presta) and worked fine on both.

I have a high quality callibrated oil filled pressure guage, and checked it against this, and the pressure measurements were reasonably accurate. The scale is a little hard to read though, especially at lower MTB type pressures

One thing I noticed is there does not seem to be a bleeder valve

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:43 pm

Fyi the jackets haven't got any merino in them, they are mostly polyester. Its only the jerseys, knicks and beanie. And the Jersey is only 30% merino (but I like the fit for a big bloke).

TonyMax

Postby TonyMax » Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:18 am

I can't find the old generic Aldi Specials thread, maybe it got lost in the forum upgrade ether?

The CO2 bizzo that I bought today (my first one) seems to have the same shape packaging as this one on offer at Pushys:

http://www.pushys.com.au/es-swift-air-c ... idges.html

I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to using CO2 canisters so I'll report back somewhere on this forum should I ever have to use it.

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:28 pm

Yeah my first CO2 inflator as well. It does look like that one at Pushys. I've got no idea how to control the flow however. The first time I used it just to top up my tyre pressure it went to 150psi and I nearly freaked when I tested it with one of my other pumps. Not going to replace my pumps anytime soon I'd suggest but might be ok for fully flat tyres.

wiggetty151

Postby wiggetty151 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:38 pm

Has anyone got anymore info on this bike? Did anyone pick one up?

Im thinking about it as my local still has 6 in stock.

For those who did whats the better colour. I like the blue but color in pictures and real life differ.

Has anyone dismantled any of the components to check if there is sufficient grease in places where it should be and tightness of nuts/bolts etc....

Ross

Postby Ross » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:29 pm

wiggetty151 wrote:
Has anyone dismantled any of the components to check if there is sufficient grease in places where it should be and tightness of nuts/bolts etc....
IMO all bikes should be checked regardless of where they are purchased from

Ross

Postby Ross » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:36 pm

Regarding the jacket, I tried on a small in the shop over the top of 3 layers of street clothes and it was still a generous fit (I normally take a M in cycling clothing) and the sleeves were several cm too long.

The beanie is good, wore it under the helmet in -3 deg temp the other morning and it kept my head warm.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:58 pm

rodneycc wrote:Yeah my first CO2 inflator as well. It does look like that one at Pushys. I've got no idea how to control the flow however. The first time I used it just to top up my tyre pressure it went to 150psi and I nearly freaked when I tested it with one of my other pumps. Not going to replace my pumps anytime soon I'd suggest but might be ok for fully flat tyres.
I was under the impression that co2 should only be used for a flat tyre, not to top up one with low pressure. For both the lack of precision in inflating and also becuase the co2 leaks out of the tube a lot faster than regular air. Normally it would be used as a quick fix, then replaced with air for the next ride,
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:16 pm

Ross, I only removed the pedals and put on cleats and they were over-greased. Otherwise I did a check-over (but not disassembly) and was happy. That said, I picked up the review bike assembled.

I did see a blue bike - check out the photo in the original review... it does look good and the comments from others (on the red) was that it looked more expensive.

C02 is not really intended for top-ups, rather I see them as emergency cannisters after you get a flat tire, to quickly get the pressure. With a mini / compact hand-pump, it can be a real stretch to get a decent tyre pressure, so it is enough to see you though by will cost you efficiency. With C02 you can easily get a good pressure.
Cycling is in my BNA