What Do You Expect From an LBS?

ValleyForge

What Do You Expect From an LBS?

Postby ValleyForge » Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:48 pm

I just had two polar opposite experiences with different LBS over the last few days.

First was a replacement tube for the son of a good friend. Walked into the LBS and told the bearded assistant I needed a 28-406 tube - with a presta valve. He looked at me and said -"that's a bit odd, but I'm pretty sure we've got a few". And indeed about 60 seconds later I was on my way with the correct tube.

And then I went to a different LBS looking for a upgraded FD for my GF's bike. I told them the brand, model, mount and cable-pull I was after, and I was passed among the counter staff, then to the workshop. Frank, the workshop guy was franticly busy and the counter staff were wanting him to somehow clarify the part, see if there was one in stock, and if not order it! It took nearly an hour and they are unsure of the price! I can order the FD online from OS for about half what they "think" it will cost at the LBS. And do it in 5 minutes. And not need to repeat what I wanted to 4 different people.

:roll:
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

open roader

Re: What Do You Expect From an LBS?

Postby open roader » Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:36 pm

Your experience sounds like what my closest LBS was and then what it became after the first shop closed.

The bicycle retail sector in this country is no doubt being squeezed hard with buyers having easy online / overseas shopping. But I know exactly why this is in many cases.

I was always prepared to pay plenty more to the LBS for parts as the person behind the counter was not only the salesman but also actually had some experience with riding/owning/building and buying/selling bike parts (and actually running a business) Now my closest LBS employs people in 'sales' and a mech. behind the scenes (who is treated like a 2nd class citizen BTW) which for me is simply not good enough - I applied the three strikes and you're out policy and alas it took only a couple of months for three strikes to tally.

So to answer the question - I expect a LBS to have staff with experience and knowledge as well as slick sales methods. I received rolled gold LBS service and sales from a bloke who started as the shop jnr mechanic, worked his way to the front desk and then purchased the business and was proprietor and operator. So I expect old fashioned service, a bit of banter and the person on the otherside of the front desk to know more about the business than I do.
3rd class cycling is always better than 1st class walking

chill

Postby chill » Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:08 pm

Honestly I only ever go to the lbs for servicing that I can't or I'm too lazy to do. So the shop needs to have a great mechanic. There are plenty of average ones out there so finding a good one ensures repeat business.

Newcastle Dave

Postby Newcastle Dave » Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:44 pm

A couple of my recent experiences

1) Wanted a Saris Bones rack for my wife's car (and bike). LBS said, yes we are the local dealer/agent. Pay us the full price up front and we will order one, should be about 2 weeks. So I order one from England, for $50 cheaper and its delivered in a week, (no postage charge)
2) Wanted a Wahoo kickr snap, rang around 4 LBS and the difference in price was $300 between cheapest and most expensive. Was at the cheapest picking it up that afternoon (one of the shops in the middle of the price didn't have any but were getting some in. Took my number, next day called me to say they just got some delivered, so good service but $50 more and a day late)

Will be visiting the shop with the most expensive kickr on Thursday to drop my bike in for a service - they do a good job at a reasonable price.

So my advice, shop around

timbo

Postby timbo » Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:20 pm

My local bike shop has been good to me, especially with the owner who always points me in the right direction, which is sometimes different to what i think is the right way to go. I have bought 3 bikes from him in 10 years, and parts only very occasionally, but he still knows me by name and is always good for a chat.
My only gripe for LBS's is when it comes to sizing, be it shoes, clothing, or indeed, bikes. These are things you really have to try before you buy, and if they don't have them in stock for the right size, they steer you towards something that SHOULD fit, but in reality, doesn't.
For me, it always seems to be a 10mm longer stem to the handlebars than standard, a wide fit shoe which is often not in stock, and a change of saddle which agrees with my body shape.

bigfut

Postby bigfut » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:14 pm

I expect service and good service.

As others I don't mind paying extra if they are any good.
I have had terrible services from store chains.

Bicycle centres seem to be good, as they appear to be individually owned franchises (actually care)

Ross

Postby Ross » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:59 pm

ValleyForge wrote:
And then I went to a different LBS looking for a upgraded FD for my GF's bike. I told them the brand, model, mount and cable-pull I was after, and I was passed among the counter staff, then to the workshop. Frank, the workshop guy was franticly busy and the counter staff were wanting him to somehow clarify the part, see if there was one in stock, and if not order it! It took nearly an hour and they are unsure of the price! I can order the FD online from OS for about half what they "think" it will cost at the LBS. And do it in 5 minutes. And not need to repeat what I wanted to 4 different people.

:roll:
Makes you wonder If the internet didn't exist and everyone went to LBS for parts how they would cope with the extra customers...

r2160

Postby r2160 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:53 pm

Honesty . . .
-----------
"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever" Lance Armstrong

Velt

Postby Velt » Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:26 pm

I really wish more bike shops would have good websites showing what stock they carry.

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:31 pm

When I ride in on a good condition 10 year old bike. I don't like it when they look down there nose at it and tell me that it is not worth replacing the part I am after. If they don't say something positive about my bike I rarely go back.

timbo

Postby timbo » Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:18 pm

mitzikatzi wrote:When I ride in on a good condition 10 year old bike. I don't like it when they look down there nose at it and tell me that it is not worth replacing the part I am after. If they don't say something positive about my bike I rarely go back.
This seems as much about the bicycle industry as anything else. A lot of things seem to go in 3 year cycles for bicycle parts, so if your bike is ten years old, it is obviously way out of date, if only accordingly to the bike shop. My favourite bike is my 1998 model Miyata 1200, which has just needed regular servicing, and not replacing, and in fact the LBS will look for stock replacement parts to keep it original.
To quote, if the part you are after is a Shimano part, it is always available, just maybe on order. If your bike shop doesn't want to replace it, I'd replace the bike shop.

Trevtassie

Postby Trevtassie » Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:48 pm

1.90/2.10 x 26" tubes would be nice!

GAV!N

Postby GAV!N » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:02 pm

Not being sold an item for $15 that should have been provided for FREE as per the suppliers direction. Pretty much sums up my LBS...