Anyone know what this is?

SLED G

Anyone know what this is?

Postby SLED G » Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:35 pm

I was given a bike at work. Someone had donated it as they no longer cycled. Its in great condition.
I went to a bike store and the said it was from from 80's-90's and that the original fork had been replaced with a composite one.
I would just like to know if anyone can tell me the exact model or estimated value of the bike?
Thanks so much!
http://imgur.com/fjoSUAV

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Anyone know what this is?

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:58 pm

Hi, I changed your headline from all UPPERCASE which, on the internet is akin to shouting. If you put in a descriptive headline then it helps.

The Giant TCR Team was first released in 1999 and there are four versions (1999, 2000, 2001, 2002)

It looks like the original fork, that is the one it came with - the colours match perfectly but the composite seatpost may hve been exchanged (or not specced for the Australian edition).

Surprised that the bikeshop said the fork was replaced and that it was from the 80's or 90's as the groupset would enable them to date the bike.

Actually a pretty good good bike at the time, race orientated with Aero fork - look at the machined welds... very nice.

But... it is now over 15 years old and these have not become collectable - depending on the groupset I think that it will be tough to expect a high valuation.
Cycling is in my BNA

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:30 pm

That is a very early TCR; '99 or 2000, probably a '99 with the curved fork shared with the CFR of the time. The giveaway for the vintage is the old-style external cup headset and quill stem; the first frame update ('01) changed the head tube to an internal cup headset and threadless steerer fork. As suggested above, the original aero seatpost (with standard round lower section to fit in the frame) has been replaced, possibly because the original post did not allow sufficient adjustment for a previous owner. The original angle-adjustable handlebar stem has also been replaced - sensibly, the original displayed alarming twist under load - with a rigid model.

The 6500 Ultegra groupset, introduced in 1998, is consistent with the vintage of the bike. Being Shimano's second-level groupset, even now the components are still pretty good, although the shifters can get a little gummy as the factory grease will have well & truly dried out by now. They can be brought back to life with a generous squirt of light lubricant into the shifter mechanism.

Although badged as "Team", it's not actually a team-specification bike; the true team-spec bikes were painted in the lemon yellow & black colours of the Giant-sponsored Once team and fitted with Campagnolo Record running gear.

Although fairly low on the radar of retro enthusiasts, the original TCR was a revolutionary bike in its time; this was the bike that brought sloping tube "compact" geometry to the road, a design concept that just about every manufacturer has adopted to some extent since.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:39 pm

Thanks for all the extra info.
Cycling is in my BNA

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:24 pm

AUbicycles wrote: The Giant TCR Team was first released in 1999 and there are four versions (1999, 2000, 2001, 2002).
Here's a bit more, less relevant info: :mrgreen:

"Team" editions of the TCR have been featured in the range for most of the line's 17 years, not just those first few. Once editions ran from '99-'03, culminating in the first carbon TCR; T-Mobile from '05-'07 and Rabobank from around '10-'12. After a bit of a break, a new pseudo-Team Ultegra-specced Giant-Alpecin model has slipped into the early-release '17 model.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

richbee

Postby richbee » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:58 am

Duck! wrote:That is a very early TCR; '99 or 2000, probably a '99 with the curved fork shared with the CFR of the time.
I had a '99 TCR ONCE frameset which had the bladed aero forks, not the curved forks from the CFR. I think the frame is most likely a '98 model if it still has the curvy forks.
Incidentally I had to replace the forks on my TCR after about 18 months as the bonding between the carbon forks and alloy steerer tube failed.

SLED G

Postby SLED G » Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:58 pm

Thanks so much for the interesting information.
As to the value of the bike, I understand that it is not a collectible item but does anyone have any idea of its value as a bike to be rides and used?

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:22 pm

SLED G wrote:As to the value of the bike, I understand that it is not a collectible item but does anyone have any idea of its value
Dollarwise, it's at that unfortunate age where it's neither "the latest" nor old enough to be "collectable". Nor a "special" (see Duck's comments)

If you can find the missing bits, that will help when it is "collectable" - in about 20 years. Maybe! (I'm in a similar position with an early '90 Cannondale).
SLED G wrote:...its value as a bike to be rides and used?
Absolutely. Ride it. Enjoy it!
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:16 pm

You would be lucky to get $400 for it, so may be more valuable as a second bike or stored (dry).
Cycling is in my BNA