Advice Please on Buying New Bike

Newie Traveller

Advice Please on Buying New Bike

Postby Newie Traveller » Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:37 am

Hello, new member & hoping for some advice.

I am looking at buying a 'better' bike for fitness & enjoyment of getting out & about. My current bike is quite few years old, a Giant Elswood ES, 21 speed. I ride a mixture of pathed cycleways & roads around Newcastle & Lake Macquarie area. My home area is fairly hilly.

I am ok fit 57 y/o, weight 112kilos, height 181cm

I ride about 60 to 80 kilometres each time I go for a ride.

Looking at following bikes;

Trek FX 7.4
Merida Speeder 200
Giant Cross City 0

All 2016 models

I am looking to put clipless/clip on pedals for first time in my life. Been think Shimano Clickers using recessed cleat on shoe.

What are members views on the bikes for my weight & riding plans?

And also advice on clip on?

Thanks
Newie Traveller

ValleyForge

Re: Advice Please on Buying New Bike

Postby ValleyForge » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:50 am

Welcome!

Probably best posted in the more general sections. "Cycling Health" tends to revolve around diets, electrolytes. and anterior knee pain.
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:55 pm

ValleyForge wrote:Welcome!

Probably best posted in the more general sections. "Cycling Health" tends to revolve around diets, electrolytes. and anterior knee pain.

Sorted
Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

koshari

Postby koshari » Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:25 pm

There really isnt a quantum leap from your elwood to a speedway/crx ect... disc brakes being the only real improvement and the later bikes being freehub 700 wheels as opposed to your 7 speed freewheel. The geometry and weight would be comparable. But hey if you want to upgrade its your call of course.

Pesonally i would be inclined to keep the elwood for commuting duties and compliment it with a roadee. Space could be a premium for you which could make having 2 bikes an isdue as well.

Anyway others will likely have different opinions as well so stay tuned.

Btw i have a couple of crx bikes (which are the previous line to cross citys) and they are very fine and versatile bikes. A bloke i ride with has an elwood and he has no probs taking the front.

Edit: i see you reposted in the more suitable section. I assume the mods will tidy up this reply. Also i notice your se version of the elwood has a suspension fork. The one i was comparing to was a rigid. There is a lot more difference between your chosen upgrades and the se. I would be more inclined to suggest you take the upgrade path now knowing this.