Help Advice on Upgrading to New Bike

Newie Traveller

Help Advice on Upgrading to New Bike

Postby Newie Traveller » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:42 pm

i,

After some help/advice; I currently ride once or twice a week, weekends on combo of road & dedicated cycleways in Newcastle/Lake Macquarie region.

I currently ride an older bike, Giant Elswood ES 21 gearing combo, with standard pedals. I live in hilly area and looking to do better bike/more modern bike without going to full drop handle road bike.

Average ride is 60-80 kilometres (but want to increase to slightly longer as technique fitness improves) and I am not the lightest bloke around 112 kilos, 181cms tall, reasonably fit cardi wise.

Looking at

Trek 7.4 FX
Merida Speeder 200
Giant Cross City 0

Would appreciate views thoughts on experiences with these bikes, want to stay with the bike I buy for at least 10 yrs, my budget with bike, shoes, peddles & lights is no more than $1350.00 AUS

Also looking at adding clip on peddles, advise from bike shops is Shimano Clickers with recessed cleat shoes with about 6 degree float. Have torn my meniscus in left knee!!, hence no running but use bike for cardio & fun.

I've never ever ridden with cleats so concerned to get easy on, easy off style.

Look forward to reading the collective wisdom off cycling community

Thanks
Newie Traveller

StevOz

Re: Help Advice on Upgrading to New Bike

Postby StevOz » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:31 pm

I'd have to say the Giant Cross City 0 is the one, also at this time of year you can often get really nice end of financial year sales on last years model often up to $200 off and the 2015 model is almost exactly the same bike, I'd be looking into that.

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:31 pm

+1 for the Giant Cross City 0. I'd even try for the disc model. And also the Click R' shoes will do you well for beginners. Good luck.
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

Newie Traveller

Postby Newie Traveller » Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:18 am

I spoke to another LBS Giant Dealer yesterday & I am starting to lean that way. The 2017 model is coming out soon so a few 2016 Cross City 0's are at good value, also was offered a full carbon Giant road bike 2015 model floor stock for $1500.00 AUS but it has only two cogs up front, so concerned that as I get older gearing choices not enough and hence not sure worth stretching my budget.

Thank you for your input & thoughts

rodneycc wrote:+1 for the Giant Cross City 0. I'd even try for the disc model. And also the Click R' shoes will do you well for beginners. Good luck.

Newie Traveller

Postby Newie Traveller » Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:24 am

Thanks for your reply, I was saying to another forum member who suggested similar to you.

I am leaning that way, have not found any floor stock of 2015 model, but have found 2016 model at LBS Giant dealer with hydraulic brakes, carbon seat post & front forks with Shimano 30 gear MTB setup for $200 off recommended retail which brings it to same price as stock standard Trek FX 7.4

StevOz wrote:I'd have to say the Giant Cross City 0 is the one, also at this time of year you can often get really nice end of financial year sales on last years model often up to $200 off and the 2015 model is almost exactly the same bike, I'd be looking into that.

johnfordau

Postby johnfordau » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:03 am

Newie Traveller wrote:i,

After some help/advice; I currently ride once or twice a week, weekends on combo of road & dedicated cycleways in Newcastle/Lake Macquarie region.

I currently ride an older bike, Giant Elswood ES 21 gearing combo, with standard pedals. I live in hilly area and looking to do better bike/more modern bike without going to full drop handle road bike.

Average ride is 60-80 kilometres (but want to increase to slightly longer as technique fitness improves) and I am not the lightest bloke around 112 kilos, 181cms tall, reasonably fit cardi wise.

Looking at

Trek 7.4 FX
Merida Speeder 200
Giant Cross City 0

Would appreciate views thoughts on experiences with these bikes, want to stay with the bike I buy for at least 10 yrs, my budget with bike, shoes, peddles & lights is no more than $1350.00 AUS

Also looking at adding clip on peddles, advise from bike shops is Shimano Clickers with recessed cleat shoes with about 6 degree float. Have torn my meniscus in left knee!!, hence no running but use bike for cardio & fun.

I've never ever ridden with cleats so concerned to get easy on, easy off style.

Look forward to reading the collective wisdom off cycling community

Thanks
Newie Traveller
Yipes NT, 112 kilos .. you need to seriously considering dropping that weight .. not only will you fit the bike better but you won't have to push as much which means you might like the drop bars better. In other words, look ahead. Do you really want to keep that weight? I cut out all sugar and dropped 10 kilos in 6 weeks .. and kept it off.

I'm a bit like you .. cant run .. can barely walk 200 metres. But I can cycle so doing your homework is important.

I have a Merida Speeder for touring and a second hand 2015 Cadd 10 for my roadwork. I use mountain bike cleats which I use on both bikes to save money. Cleats, in my view, are a must as you use all your leg muscles not half of them. To experience what I'm talking about trying cycle with one one foot on a pedal. Careful now. You will need to bring you core muscles into use to maintain balance but more importantly you will see what I mean about cycling without clips.

I would check out your local bicycle shop. Remember, buying a new bike will generally mean a free service after a week or two riding and you will need ongoing support so the local guy is generally is the way to go.

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:35 am

Newie Traveller wrote:I spoke to another LBS Giant Dealer yesterday & I am starting to lean that way. The 2017 model is coming out soon so a few 2016 Cross City 0's are at good value, also was offered a full carbon Giant road bike 2015 model floor stock for $1500.00 AUS but it has only two cogs up front, so concerned that as I get older gearing choices not enough and hence not sure worth stretching my budget.

rodneycc wrote:+1 for the Giant Cross City 0. I'd even try for the disc model. And also the Click R' shoes will do you well for beginners. Good luck.
For your situation I would prob still go the cross city but you are probably looking at the road bike the wrong way with the gearing as when you get stronger you probably wont use the bottom 10 lower gears much (only maybe on some of the larger hills). A 50-34 on a road bike which is known as compact gearing has a lot of bases covered would be a good one for you on your first road bike down the track (after the cross city gets a bit of a thrashing! :-) )

madmacca

Postby madmacca » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:43 pm

Newie Traveller wrote: also was offered a full carbon Giant road bike 2015 model floor stock for $1500.00 AUS but it has only two cogs up front, so concerned that as I get older gearing choices not enough and hence not sure worth stretching my budget.

The advent of compact 50-34 cranks up front combined with the ability of newer short cage derailleurs to handle 32t cassettes on the rear gives you access to an extremely wide range of gears on a double. Most manufacturers are moving away from triples on their 11 sp ranges, as doubles are lighter with less complexity.

Newie Traveller

Postby Newie Traveller » Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:18 am

madmacca wrote:
Newie Traveller wrote: also was offered a full carbon Giant road bike 2015 model floor stock for $1500.00 AUS but it has only two cogs up front, so concerned that as I get older gearing choices not enough and hence not sure worth stretching my budget.

The advent of compact 50-34 cranks up front combined with the ability of newer short cage derailleurs to handle 32t cassettes on the rear gives you access to an extremely wide range of gears on a double. Most manufacturers are moving away from triples on their 11 sp ranges, as doubles are lighter with less complexity.
Thanks for reply, yes couple of the LBS Staff I spoke to have said similar, guess I'm stuck in my mind that I really need the triple & as yet don't have confidence or fitness to roll with out the really low gear options offered by a triple

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:12 pm

Don't worry, if you are like the rest of us and get the cycling bug I very much doubt you will be on the same bike in 18months to 2 years time. You will love your first proper bike but there usually is a natural progression to bigger and better (and possibly faster) and its a journey you kind of need to take.

So just enjoy it is my advice...

Newie Traveller

Postby Newie Traveller » Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:08 pm

LOL thanks Rodney, you are probably correct, I tend to be competitive with my individual performance so ....
Thanks for input
rodneycc wrote:Don't worry, if you are like the rest of us and get the cycling bug I very much doubt you will be on the same bike in 18months to 2 years time. You will love your first proper bike but there usually is a natural progression to bigger and better (and possibly faster) and its a journey you kind of need to take.

So just enjoy it is my advice...

madmacca

Postby madmacca » Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:48 pm

Newie Traveller wrote:
madmacca wrote:

Thanks for reply, yes couple of the LBS Staff I spoke to have said similar, guess I'm stuck in my mind that I really need the triple & as yet don't have confidence or fitness to roll with out the really low gear options offered by a triple
Even if you find that you want shorter gearing than 34-32, you could always fit a medium cage derailleur and a 36t cassette. I'm not sure exactly what gears you are running at the moment, but a 34-36 combo may actually give you lower gearing than you currently have on a 6 y.o. triple. You can have a play with different gearing options and see what the effects are at http://www.bikecalc.com/gear_ratios

Newie Traveller

Postby Newie Traveller » Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:50 pm

Cheers Thanks Madmacca The chart will be of great help

madmacca wrote:
Newie Traveller wrote:
madmacca wrote:
Even if you find that you want shorter gearing than 34-32, you could always fit a medium cage derailleur and a 36t cassette. I'm not sure exactly what gears you are running at the moment, but a 34-36 combo may actually give you lower gearing than you currently have on a 6 y.o. triple. You can have a play with different gearing options and see what the effects are at http://www.bikecalc.com/gear_ratios