MIPS Helmet - MTB and Some Road Use

Aushiker

MIPS Helmet - MTB and Some Road Use

Postby Aushiker » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:06 pm

I am thinking it is time to replace my Bell Sweep helmet which is showing the effects of UV degradation. I would like to go with an Australian standards MIPS helmet. Riding is now days mainly on my Surly Long Haul Trucker (so relaxed touring), Salsa Mukluk fatbike (MTB) and Giant Defy (road) so a helmet that can cross over would be nice.

Thinking is pretty board at the moment so suggestions to narrow the options would be appreciated. Points I have come up with:

1. Has to be MIPS helmet;
2. Ventilation is important and right up in the list
3. Like the look of the POC Octiva MIPS but the price is scary ... not sure it can be justified. Are these really worth the extra $200 plus;
4. Alternative to the POC is to go with a MTB with removable visor. I can see the visor being handy on the Salsa and Surly particular as I tour a lot on these bikes in the spring and autumn;
4. Ventilation is also important.

Thanks in advance

Duck!
Expert

Re: MIPS Helmet - MTB and Some Road Use

Postby Duck! » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:07 pm

Check out the Giant helmet range, they've added MIPS as an option to several of their models this year. They've only just been launched so allow a little while for them to hit the shelves.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:37 am

I bought a new helmet last week.
Pushys have a decent range and reasonable prices. Free shipping at the moment too.
I ended up with a Giro Hex for a less MTB style look than most of the current crop of MTB helmets.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:54 am

Duck! wrote:Check out the Giant helmet range, they've added MIPS as an option to several of their models this year. They've only just been launched so allow a little while for them to hit the shelves.
Thanks for a heads-up. Will keep an eye out for them.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:19 am

RonK wrote:I bought a new helmet last week.
Pushys have a decent range and reasonable prices. Free shipping at the moment too.
I ended up with a Giro Hex for a less MTB style look than most of the current crop of MTB helmets.
Thanks for the suggestion but it does not seem to be a MIPS helmet. They do the Giro Revel MIPS which looks similar but I am struggling to find someone selling it Australia.

There is the Bell Traverse MIPS which is in a similar style to your Hex. Will look into it further.

Of the roadie style helmets the Bell Cage MIPS and the GIRO Savant seem to the be reasonable choices, but more dollars than the MTB helmets.

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:24 pm

Bell Event comes in a MIPS version. Pushys has them locally for $135

PLus a few others http://www.pushys.com.au/catalogsearch/ ... wl_stock=1
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:39 pm

silentbutdeadly wrote:Bell Event comes in a MIPS version. Pushys has them locally for $135
A touch cheaper at $124.95 at Mountain Bikes Direct.

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:45 pm

True. Good shop too.

Just bear in mind that some MIPS helmets have a reputation for compromised ventilation compared to their non-MIPS equivalent. Have a squiz for helmet reviews to see if its an issue...assuming you can't find one in the foam.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:48 pm

Narrow downed my limited options to three choices:

Scott ARX MTB Plus

This is my #1 choice coming in at a claimed 290 grams. Not 100% sure if the visor is removable and if I can find a source with a white one. Bikes.com.au are listing the red/black at $139.00.

Bell Event XC MIPS

$124.95 at Mountain Direct. Weighs in at 312 grams. Unsure as to whether the visor can be removed or not. Maybe the best compromise on price and weight.

EDIT: Visor is removable; neither Pushys or Mountain Bike Direct have stock but LeTour Cycles do apparently.

Bell Traverse MIPS

This becomes the Bell Draft with the visor removed. $99.95 at Pushys but is the heaviest of my three choices at 326 grams.
Last edited by Aushiker on Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:02 pm

Scott come in through Sheppard Cycles hence their online appearance at AvantiPlus. And their complete unavailability elsewhere in Oz outside the company network.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:22 pm

silentbutdeadly wrote:Scott come in through Sheppard Cycles hence their online appearance at AvantiPlus. And their complete unavailability elsewhere in Oz outside the company network.
Interesting. That goes someway to explain why I cannot find them anywhere else besides http://bikes.com.au which seems to be the online face of the Melbourne Bicycle Centre.

Gunlock

Postby Gunlock » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:34 pm

Aushiker wrote: Interesting. That goes someway to explain why I cannot find them anywhere else besides http://bikes.com.au which seems to be the online face of the Melbourne Bicycle Centre.
That's my local LBS, only about a block away, if you want me to go check it out or anything let me know.

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:08 pm

Aushiker wrote:Image
Bell Traverse MIPS

This becomes the Bell Draft with the visor removed. $99.95 at Pushys but is the heaviest of my three choices at 326 grams.
Leave it sit in the cart overnight and you'll get another $10 off.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

geoff_tewierik

Postby geoff_tewierik » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:20 pm

Have had two MIPS helmets.

One, the Giro Savant, got dinged up earlier this year when I had an off on the MTB that did my collarbone in. Did not like how the straps came together under the ear, apart from that I would have bought another. Replaced due to being involved in the crash, even though it just suffered a couple of scratches, no sense risking it IMO.

Currently have Lazer Blade, which have only used a couple of times as riding is still off the cards on a regular basis due to collarbone still not healed. Straps under the ears are great compared to Giro, but internal pads leave strong mark on forehead post ride. Also everytime I put it on, I can feel the styrofoam at the back touching my head, feeling generally dissipates in minutes, but it's weird, I never felt that when I tried on the non MIPS Blade helmet.

On both helmets I miss the visor my previous Fox Striker helmet had. There's a couple of spots on my commute where the sun can be an issue, and the visor helps at those times.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:59 pm

Gunlock wrote:That's my local LBS, only about a block away, if you want me to go check it out or anything let me know.
Thanks for your kind offer. I assume that you have found them good to deal with?

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:59 pm

RonK wrote:Leave it sit in the cart overnight and you'll get another $10 off.
:) That is good to know.

Gunlock

Postby Gunlock » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:31 pm

Aushiker wrote:Thanks for your kind offer. I assume that you have found them good to deal with?
Yep. I use them mainly for services when i dont have time (or skills :oops: ) myself and for parts i need quickly but they've always treated me well.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:23 pm

Probably a bit above your budget, but the Giro Synthe MIPS on Strava is $228 (free shipping), which is still cheaper than local prices.

https://www.strava.com/store/products/l ... taxon_id=3

I've seen quite a lot of these out and about now. When I first got mine there were only a couple. Might have something to do with the fact the initial release was only available to those completing a 20,000m climbing challenge. I got it because it matches my club kit :-)
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

chill

Postby chill » Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:35 pm

geoff_tewierik wrote: ...
Currently have Lazer Blade, which have only used a couple of times as riding is still off the cards on a regular basis due to collarbone still not healed. Straps under the ears are great compared to Giro, but internal pads leave strong mark on forehead post ride. Also everytime I put it on, I can feel the styrofoam at the back touching my head, feeling generally dissipates in minutes, but it's weird, I never felt that when I tried on the non MIPS Blade helmet...
I was thinking of getting one of these but read somewhere that the venting isn't great. Might just go with the non-MIPS version.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:59 am

An update: I ordered the Scotts ARX MT Plus from http://bikes.com.au/ on July 26, 2016 and it was delivered (carded) on August 12, 2016. When I initially enquired about the helmet I was told it would need to be ordered in and that would take a couple of days. Turned out to be a lot longer. All up it would be 17 days for an Australian delivery.

That all said, the helmet fits well (they recommended a medium and it worked out okay). Yet to wear it in anger but so far so good. Oh the helmet was made in May 2015, so over a year old now. Maybe not a hot seller?
Last edited by Aushiker on Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:14 pm

That's not uncommon. I bought a discounted Fox Flux recently in fluoro yellow that is similarly dated 2015. All the Flux helmets were discounted and this colour was first to sell out.

I think perhaps they buy them in big batches to minimise the per-unit cost of testing the batches under AS/NZS 2063:2014, as the AU testers charge somewhere between $14-20k for the certification tests. Only $6k if you get it certified in CHina.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:49 am

Just spotted these MIPS helmets on sale at Pushys

http://www.pushys.com.au/bell-gage-mips ... dence.html

and

http://www.pushys.com.au/bell-gage-mips ... ombre.html

$149 each, and used in conjunction with discount vouchers you can get this down even further.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi