Clamp for carbon seat post issue

Bentnose

Clamp for carbon seat post issue

Postby Bentnose » Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:28 pm

I have an Argon 18 Krypton which has a 31.6mm seat post and an odd size clamp of 36.6mm. The clamp that came with it never seemed to grip the post properly and after many issues I fitted a 20 year old boat anchor post with a Hope quick release clamp I had lying around. The thing is the Hope clamp is sized at 36.4mm and it seems to fit perfectly, I still had to use a beer can shim for it all to work and the clamp is really wound up. I'm not sure if I should just refit the original carbon post with a new slimline 36.4mm clamp or am I potentially risking life and limb by putting undue clamping force on my carbon post?
No signature

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Clamp for carbon seat post issue

Postby AUbicycles » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:58 pm

Not necessarily an answer - but assuming it is a round seatpost, there are seat post shims. In theory you can use the original clamp and then a shim on the seatpost itself. The shims are often plastic, though this should not be an issue - but look into it first with regard to slipping.

I have used the shims on steel bikes and posts.
Cycling is in my BNA

Bentnose

Postby Bentnose » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:06 pm

I have a home fabricated beer can shim filling as much space as I could manage, the original clamp and post at maximum torque would still allow me to turn the post by hand and would slip into the frame suddenly and unexpectedly even with the shim in place.
No signature

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:36 pm

where is the shim? between seat post and frame or between frame and clamp?

Bentnose

Postby Bentnose » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:21 pm

It sits in the seat tube between the seat post and the frame, it sits quite well, pulled the seat post out the other day and it stayed perfectly in place.
No signature

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:56 pm

Might be more worthwhile to move this to the shed.

The way I see it is the clamp puts pressure on the frame, the frame puts pressure on the seatpost. Assuming you use a torque wrench I don't think a different sized clamp would place more pressure on the seatpost.

If the seatpost is too small for the frame, I would think your more likely to crush the frame.

Bentnose

Postby Bentnose » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:45 pm

eeksll wrote:Might be more worthwhile to move this to the shed.

The way I see it is the clamp puts pressure on the frame, the frame puts pressure on the seatpost. Assuming you use a torque wrench I don't think a different sized clamp would place more pressure on the seatpost.

If the seatpost is too small for the frame, I would think your more likely to crush the frame.
How would I move it to the shed? I was a bit unsure about where to post it initially.

With the shim in place the seat post was a tight fit as far as I remember, I haven't tried the carbon seat post with my 36.4mm quick release clamp as I'd be a bit unsure of the torque setting when clamped and I don't want to risk breaking the post. I think if I used the carbon post again I'd buy a normal clamp of 36.4mm so I could use my torque wrench, it's just annoying that the clamp that is supplied with the bike doesn't seem to fit very well. I guess this is an issue when buying a frame and building it yourself, it's too much of a hassle to return it under warranty if you can sort it out with a bit of stuffing around.
No signature

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:59 pm

Bentnose wrote: How would I move it to the shed? I was a bit unsure about where to post it initially.
only moderators can do that AFAIK. Just create a new thread.