Reid Granite upgrade??

Hastingd

Reid Granite upgrade??

Postby Hastingd » Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:20 pm

Hi all,

I bought my Reid Granite in Feb to replace my heavy MTB. I like the granite, but am thinking I should have held out and paid more for something higher spec'd.

The biggest gripes I have are the mess of cables at the front end (purely cosmetic), the shifting between the front 34/50, but more annoying is the 8 speed Claris cassette. The jump between each cog (goes from 11 - 32) is significant, and the shifting is not as smooth as I would like.

The way I see it I have three options. (1) I try and replace the 8 speed cassette with a higher spec 8 speed - any thoughts on where I could get 105 or Tiagra that would be smoother and have a lower range, perhaps 12 - 25? I don't do a lot of climbing so can't see a need for the 32. (2) I reconfigure the rear cassette to a 9 or 10 speed, which would also involve replacing the shifter, cables, bar tape, etc. I don't like the sound if this. (3) I upgrade to something like the new Reid Vantage Endurance 2.0, which includes 105 drivetrain. If this was around in Feb I probably would have spent the extra $300 and got it.

Other than that, I have had to retention all cables twice due to stretching (I think this is normal??) and have replaced the tyres, as they were very prone to punctures.

Thanks,
Darren.

Duck!
Expert

Re: Reid Granite upgrade??

Postby Duck! » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:13 am

The easiest (and cheapest!) thing you can do is change the cassette to a tighter range; it'll still be a Claris/Sora unit though, Tiagra was never 8-sp. and 105 hasn't been 8-sp. for about 20 years. The issue you have with the shifting isn't the quality of the cassette, it's simply the fact that a wide-range cassette with relatively few gears dictates larger jumps between each ratio, and a tighter cassette will smooth that out. Likewise the 34/50 on the front, it's a relatively big jump and isn't going to be the smoothest, even with higher spec bits.

Upgrading to 9 or 10-sp. is a relatively easy process as you can use the same derailleurs and crank, just need new chain, cassette and shifters, but it's not a particularly cheap exercise.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

Hastingd

Re: Reid Granite upgrade??

Postby Hastingd » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:48 pm

Thanks Duck. I'll try swapping to a tighter cassette and leave the 34/50 as is for now and see how I go.
Cheers,
Darren.