Tyre Width

Chopper

Tyre Width

Postby Chopper » Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:56 pm

So I pulled the trigger this morning on a 2016 Defy 2 Disc which was on sale and too good an offer to refuse. I'll be using this to commute the 25km to work and at times out for a quick Sunday ride before the kids wake up. I'm looking at getting wider, more puncture proof tires - my question is, how can I tell what size I can go up to?

There are currently 700 x 25 tires on it and I'd like to go up to 700 x 28 tires.

Cheers,
BK
Last edited by Chopper on Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Giant Defy
Cannondale Quick 4

biker jk

Re: Tire Width

Postby biker jk » Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:28 pm

I believe the 25mm tyres which came with the bike are puncture resistant (Giant S-R4 Flat Guard). You could probably fit 30mm tyres if not wider but why bother if the existing 25mm tyres are puncture resistant?

Chopper

Re: Tire Width

Postby Chopper » Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:52 pm

biker jk wrote:I believe the 25mm tyres which came with the bike are puncture resistant (Giant S-R4 Flat Guard). You could probably fit 30mm tyres if not wider but why bother if the existing 25mm tyres are puncture resistant?
I havent read in any of the specs or reviews that the tyres are flat gaurd, plus this is my first ever toad bike so I think I'd be a bit more confident on wider tyres.
Giant Defy
Cannondale Quick 4

Thoglette

Re: Tyre Width

Postby Thoglette » Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:34 pm

Chopper wrote: how can I tell what size I can go up to?
Read this (Jan Heine)
biker jk wrote: but why bother if the existing 25mm tyres are puncture resistant?
Comfort and speed. Fewer flats and less risk from cracks & bumps.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:59 pm

Thoglette wrote:
biker jk wrote: but why bother if the existing 25mm tyres are puncture resistant?
A wider tyre has lower rolling resistance at the same pressure. So you won't get both more comfort and speed.

Chopper

Postby Chopper » Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:00 pm

My priority would be comfort, not too fussed about speed.
Giant Defy
Cannondale Quick 4

Chopper

Postby Chopper » Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:00 pm

Thoglette wrote:
Chopper wrote: how can I tell what size I can go up to?
Read this (Jan Heine)
Cheers for the link Thoglette
Giant Defy
Cannondale Quick 4

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:26 pm

biker jk wrote:A wider tyre has lower rolling resistance at the same pressure. So you won't get both more comfort and speed.
Actually you will. Lower pressure for the same (or more) speed, and more comfort.

You're welcome to be with the mainstream and not believe it. After all, it feels slower. To quote:
Jan Heine wrote:they said .."this cannot be"
Josh Poertner wrote:..the push back was incredible
But hear all about it. CyclingTips Podcast, Episode 9: Rethinking road bike tire sizes and pressures
Jan Heine wrote:In the end, what we all need to realise is that smooth roads are still really rough

madmacca

Postby madmacca » Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:31 pm

biker jk wrote:
Thoglette wrote:
A wider tyre has lower rolling resistance at the same pressure. So you won't get both more comfort and speed.
The whole point of running wider tyres is so that you can REDUCE the pressure, thus getting more speed AND more comfort.

madmacca

Postby madmacca » Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:36 pm

Chopper wrote:So I pulled the trigger this morning on a 2016 Defy 2 Disc which was on sale and too good an offer to refuse. I'll be using this to commute the 25km to work and at times out for a quick Sunday ride before the kids wake up. I'm looking at getting wider, more puncture proof tires - my question is, how can I tell what size I can go up to?

There are currently 700 x 25 tires on it and I'd like to go up to 700 x 28 tires.

Cheers,
BK
A disc brake endurance bike such as the Defy should be able to comfortably handle 700 x 28. It will probably handle 700 x 30, although it will depend somewhat on the tyre brand (some are notorious for being bigger than spec), and also the width of the rim you are running them on.

How can you tell? Take a look at the amount of clearance you have at the fork and frame with your existing tyres.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:44 pm

madmacca wrote:
biker jk wrote:
Thoglette wrote: Comfort and speed. Fewer flats and less risk from cracks & bumps.
The whole point of running wider tyres is so that you can REDUCE the pressure, thus getting more speed AND more comfort.
The wider tyre at the same pressure will have lower rolling resistance. But if you lower the pressure of the wider tyre for better comfort, rolling resistance will rise.

So in the tests conducted for the Continental GP4000 II, rolling resistance for the 25mm version is 12.9 watts at 100psi. This compares with 13.1 watts for the 23mm version at 100psi. But drop the pressure of the 25mm tyre to 80psi and rolling resistance rises to 13.7 watts.

http://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com ... i-23-25-28

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:18 pm

biker jk wrote:So in the tests conducted for the Continental GP4000 II,
Another test using a now thoroughly discredited test method (it's been a decade).

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:36 pm

Run the 25s at 80psi, sorted. You don't need new tyres. If you wanted more comfort, a road bike isn't the right tool for that job.

li2099

Postby li2099 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:12 pm

Watching Durianrider on Youtube, he has 2015 Defy(same shape different paint job) and he's running 30mm Victorias.
You should be able to fit 30mm with a very comfortable tyre pressure.