electronic circuit flasher

eeksll

electronic circuit flasher

Postby eeksll » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:50 pm

Hello, wandering if anyone knows if I can buy an off the shelf part which will flash a LED light for me.

I have repurposed some exposure lights (red eye rear light and a partly broken exposure front flash) connected them with a y cable to 1 (maybe 2) 18650 batteries and its working quite well. No need to get any extra current controlling circuits or any of that jazz I know nothing about.

Ideally I'd like to make it flash, but I'd like the slow on/off flash like a car indicator as opposed to the super fast flash that come with most LED's or even better the dim > bright > dim gradual flash.

I stumbled across these on ebay but I suspect I don't have the power in my circuit to get that to work.

boyracer

Re: electronic circuit flasher

Postby boyracer » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:35 pm

Look for an 'astable multivibrator' circuit or kit. Instructables/ jay car, etc have details.
a handful of electronic components, soldering iron and 15 minutes will get you there. Wrap the lot in shrink wrap for weatherproofing. Around 5 dollars max.

Flashing rate depends on capacitor size.

eeksll

Re: electronic circuit flasher

Postby eeksll » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:59 am

Thanks, my googling did stumble over those, but was still a bit unsure. Maybe I'll have a look into it more.