Renovate or Detonate?

Sir Stinkalot

Renovate or Detonate?

Postby Sir Stinkalot » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:07 pm

Hi All,

I have a Kona Dew Deluxe commuter that I have been using for the past 5 years!

http://2011.konaworld.com/bike.cfm?content=dew_deluxe#

It certainly doesn't owe me anything but its starting to get a little worn and tired. I'm currently at a point of having to decide if its worth trying to replace worn parts (either myself or professionally) or just replace the entire thing (which seems like a waste).

The bike was only around $1000 new and a replacement would be around the same. Not taking anything away from professional services but labour seems to be around $90 per hour + parts so I can quickly see costs pushing $500-$600 so it would be better to buy new again. I needed to get a spoke replaced and even that was $50!

The biggest issue at the moment seems to be the chain, chain ring and cassette as the bike seems to slip gears as soon as any peddle pressure is applied. Checking the different online sites the components can be picked up at a reasonable price if I can fit them myself.
Is this a viable option for a bike of this age?
If so how do I go about selecting the right components that will provide for an easy swap over?
Any recommendations of what components of the same or slightly better quality than the original?
I'm fairly competent with tools but don't have much technical knowledge of the different bike components so please keep any replies aimed at somebody who doesn't know anything :D

Cheers

Stinky

bychosis

Re: Renovate or Detonate?

Postby bychosis » Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:24 am

I don't see any reason not to repair what you have if it is serving you well. The only reason to get anew bike would be to change style, or upgrade.

Finding replacement parts shouldn't be too hard, and replacing the chain, cassette and chainrings is normal wear and tear. You might find that the chainrings aren't too worn yet, or maybe only one of them if you predominantly use only one.

Get your LBS to give you a price to replace them, if you don't like it get some tools and DIY, it's not too difficult and a chain with a quick link is very hard to stuff up.

You should be able to DIY it well under $200 and a chain and cassette shouldn't take longer than 10min for a pro. Add another 15min for chainrings (if done at the same time)
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:55 am

I agree with bychosis - unless you want a new bike, if this serves you well, just upgrade/fix.

The bike shop is the easiest option, there are also some mechanic services and mobile mechanics that are brand indifferent so you can purchase the gear and get them to install, paying only for service.

The best way to start is to look at the gear and note down all of the details (often printed somewhere on gear) and confirm that they match the specs of the bike to which you have linked.

While it is possible to DIY, you do need a two specific tools to remove the cassette - so the option of a mechanic saves you from buying and also gets your gears setup perfectly.
Cycling is in my BNA

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:39 am

Sounds like your getting tired of the bike :) and plus disc brakes, this makes it an excellent choice for a commuter and also starting to do some diy mechanic stuff if your into that.

9 speed is what I run on my commuter, cassette and chains are cheap as chips from the UK sites.

Cheap to get back running again, save your money for a nicer second bike or whatever else your into.

Little envious, that is a great commuter bike :)

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:40 am

To put it a bit simply:
To buy a cassette, pick a new one that has the same number of cogs (speeds) and same number of teeth on the smallest and biggest. looking on the spec page linked 9speed 11-32
To buy a new chain get one for the same number of 'speeds'. eg 9 speed
To buy new chainrings is a little trickier. You need to know the number of teeth and the BCD (bolt pattern). The link lists 48/38/28, someone else might help with the BCD, I don't want to get it wrong.

Once you know the specs you can pick any suitable shimano or SRAM cassette to suit your budget or desires, pretty much any 9speed chain and similar with the chainrings. The gear shown on the link page is not high end so you won't go backwards (much) picking the cheapest you can find.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:08 pm

I've commuted on the same DewDrop since mid 2009. Lots of bits been replaced or upgraded since. Kona build amazing bikes, I will own, ride and love my Lola until the sad day one of us can't make it out any more.

If the frame feels good under your bum and isn't bent or broken, why not go the upgrade route?
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

TheShadow

Postby TheShadow » Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:49 pm

Absolutely no one ever replaces a whole bike because their current one needs a new drivetrain. Chains and cogs/rings wear out way too fast to do that.

If you bought the chain, rings and cassette yourself from one of the big online retailers I'm guessing those parts could be mailed to you for about $140. You'll have to have some idea (not a lot) of how to select the right stuff to buy otherwise the large catalogue could seem overwhelming. You'll also need a Shimano cassette removal tool and chain whip, chain breaker at a minimum to remove the old parts and instal the new. They could cost $60-90. That's assuming you already have allen keys and a big shifter. In the long term, this is not to hard to learn and does save significant money.

But, if you have no tools, no experience, and maybe not much free time and energy it might be worth getting a shop to do the whole job. It sounds like at your current rate of useage, you only need to do this once every 5Yrs? They might charge $200-300 for the parts. Get them to quote you. A professional mechanic in a shop could install this in 30 minutes probably (with one hand tied behind their back?). Overall it would not be a huge amount more to get them to do it compared to doing it yourself, especially if this is a once in 5yrs job. If you were riding enough to need this doing TWICE a year, THEN you really want to learn how to do it yourself, since it starts getting expensive at that rate.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:57 pm

TheShadow wrote:Absolutely no one SENSIBLE ever replaces a whole bike because their current one needs a new drivetrain. Chains and cogs/rings wear out way too fast to do that.
FTFY. There are plenty of too-wealthy peeps out there that can't cope with repairing stuff.

Sir Stinkalot

Postby Sir Stinkalot » Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:42 pm

Thanks all for the advice. I think I will purchase a new cassette, chain and rings along with a basic tool kit and have a go at fixing myself. They aren't high end parts on the original but they have served well. I have plenty of other tools so only need the bike specific ones and I am sure they will come in handy down the track with two young kids. If it all goes wrong I can always get a service to tweak the new parts that would be hopefully fitted ok.

I certainly have no burning desire to replace the entire bike. Even if I did it would be basically with the same thing. It is just getting to a point were everything is starting to show its age. I use a Wee Rider to transport the kids and this has caused stress on the peddles which need to be replaced, the bearings in the front wheel are just hanging on, seat has a split and I get a wet bum, grips need to be replaced. All up nothing major but each component quickly adds up.

I will start looking for the right replacement parts and place an order.

Cheers.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:56 pm

If you get stuck, youtube is your friend, or a copy of Zinn and the Art of Road Bike Maintenance, or Zinn and the Art of Mountain Bike Maintenance (as applicable).

There are no certifications for bike mechanics, so I've ufortunately found the standard of workmanship is difficult to predict. I got fed up with being off teh bike so much with my $600 cheapie waiting for the bike shop to do the job I went down the route you are about to start.

It's a lot more satisfying and you don't have to wait for the bike shop to open or leave work early to go pick it up. Win-win :)

Sir Stinkalot

Postby Sir Stinkalot » Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:18 pm

I agree that youtube is a valuable research. Its easy enough to watch the same task being done by a few different people to get a good overview of how to approach something. I often find myself doing a ton of research before giving something a go.

NASHIE

Postby NASHIE » Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:30 pm

Renovate....... most bike shops will carry shimano 9sp HG cassettes and chain. Add a chain whip, HG cassette tool, chain breaker, spoke wrench to your tool kit, again most shops will carry on the shelf and your set. Personaly i would not replace the front chain rings yet as its the cassette cogs/chain that wear out first.
Bottom brackets are another consumable after a few ks or lots of wet weather riding so worth checking if it feels smooth with chain removed. If its feels loose/gritty etc just replace maybe $100 job including BB removal tool again most shops will stock these

A quick look on the web and you can buy a complete tool kit for $100 which is probably the best way to go if your only doing the occasional repairs. Probably not the best quality tools but more cost effective than buying individual.

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:50 pm

Adelaide? Maybe try Bike SA they probably have workshops for bike maintenance.

http://www.bikesa.asn.au/bikemaintenance

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:59 pm

something that was not mentioned here in the thread is you will almost certainly need to change your cables so don't forget that.

Sir Stinkalot

Postby Sir Stinkalot » Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:52 pm

Cables as well ..... something else to add to the list!

I have been working through the offerings at Chain Reaction Cycles and have been gradually adding parts to the list, peddles, grip, cassette.

I have chosen the Shimano Sora HG50 9sp Cassette + Shimano Deore HG53 9 Speed Chain - $42. So far so good this part seems fairly simple. Will also now go back and look at cables!

The chain ring has me a little more confused. The original specifications of the bike are a little light on detail only mentioning 48/38/28. I think I am often a little heavy on the chain rings often starting off at the lights without changing down first which is likely leading to more wear (something I am working on!). The 38 ring and possibly 28 should be replaced. I found a few sites that detail how to measure the bolt circle diameter so I will do that in the morning. Is it then just a matter of selecting one of the varieties of Shimano triple chain rings that offer the same BCD and then getting the teeth count as close to the original as possible?

I take it Shimano have a different range of quality (which seems to be reflected in price). Is it possible to select perhaps the better quality one for 38 (which I use the most) and then a cheap one for the 28?

Thanks again for all the help. I'm sure that others will get something out of the renovation process.

Cheers

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:02 am

Sometimes a new crankset (includes a new bottom bearing $30) can be cheaper than rings.
http://www.this link is broken/au/e ... prod119949
http://www.this link is broken/au/e ... -prod40496 has a steel middle ring.