2nd hand bike sources

Top_Bhoy

2nd hand bike sources

Postby Top_Bhoy » Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:55 pm

My mate is looking to buy a bike to commute to work on bikepaths. He also wants to mount a baby seat onto so he can take his daughter out for short trips. He hasn't cycled for years and understandably, doesn't want to go too 'heavy' on budget. Anything north of $500 would I think, be too much. That $500 needs to include accessories such as rack and guards; helmet if possible. He did look at a 2nd hand Carver bike. I'm not sure its for him...he wanted constant reassurance it wasn't a girls bike :D

Therefore I suggested going for a flat bar/hybrid 2nd hand bike without any suspension and would help look it over for him prior to any purchase.

Having had a quick look around on gumtree, there are one or two possibilities though I don't believe he is in any great hurry. I suggested keeping away from ebay because he needs to size the bike. Also, whilst it's good for rare and hard to find items, the last few times I have ventured onto ebay, the prices were scarily expensive.

He is based in the Northern suburbs of Melbourne. In addition to gumtree are there bike auctions where left/lost property/insurance recovered bikes are sold?

Cheers

ironhanglider

Re: 2nd hand bike sources

Postby ironhanglider » Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:13 pm

Step through frames are very practical with a baby seat. Otherwise you need to be adept at swinging your leg over the bars.

Cheers,

Cameron

tcdev

Postby tcdev » Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:58 pm

My 'baby seat bike' is right down at the smaller end of "the correct size" frame for me, and I was initially concerned that I should've opted for the next size up, but after fitting the seat and having my kids on board, I'd have to say that I'd struggle to mount/dismount with anything higher. So good advice on the practicality of the step-through frame!

Another source you may want to consider are the various bicycle buy/swap/sell sites on Facebook, if you're into that sort of thing. They do tend to feature more high end and 'serious' hardware than your department store 'big-box' bikes, but that may just be the ticket for a good quality 2nd-hand bike.
2015 Giant XTC Advanced 29er 1 (2016 frame)
2011 Schwinn Sporterra Comp
2021 Giant Contend AR1

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:13 pm

+1 for looking at the various bicycle buy/sell/swap/barter sites on facebook. Member of national one and three Perth based ones, national and one local tend to be more high end stuff, one local is just TT, but the third one is where you find people buying and selling a wide range of bikes, including ones that you are after.

Dreams V Reallity

Postby Dreams V Reallity » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:00 pm

+3 for step through/lower top bar.
Baby (in) seat will make it (feel) top heavy, and you don't want to swing a leg over, forgetting what is in the line of swing.
I had a baby seat that only connected at the down tube from the seat. Gave the child a suspension setting, and never bottomed out, even when the seat was occupied at max weight.
D V R
Still Dreaming.

tcdev

Postby tcdev » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:41 pm

Dreams V Reallity wrote: I had a baby seat that only connected at the down tube from the seat. Gave the child a suspension setting, and never bottomed out, even when the seat was occupied at max weight.
I have the Thule RideAlong and it connects at the down tube. The only issue I've had is not bottoming out as such, but the seat was jolted into full recline on a few bumps when I didn't slow to almost a stop. My daughter wasn't anywhere near the weight limit at the time, and the action appeared to have stressed the plastic holding it in place, so I wasn't overly impressed with it. She's since graduated to her own bike, so now my 18 mo son gets to ride on the back of daddy's bike. But I can't honestly say I'd recommend it for this reason.
2015 Giant XTC Advanced 29er 1 (2016 frame)
2011 Schwinn Sporterra Comp
2021 Giant Contend AR1

Top_Bhoy

Postby Top_Bhoy » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:17 pm

Good points on the practicality of the step-through. Not having a baby myself, I hadn't thought of this. He's not a cyclist at all, just a guy who wants to start getting his daughter into good habits at an early age.

Is there a Facebook marketplace for Melbourne or is it a national one? Can anyone provide me with a link (via PM if not wanting to go public)?

Thanks for all the suggestions thus far.

hazarama

Postby hazarama » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:59 pm

Might be worth checking out some sellers on Gumtree who have a stockpile of bikes and parts.

Here's one for instance

Few points about baby seats. Choose carefully with the rack as cheap ones can move around and throw out your balance or worse. I'd also be wary of second hand baby seat with no knowledge of is usage. Keep in mind if you get a rack and baby seat separately they may not be compatible.