Entry Level Road Bike

thatmdee

Entry Level Road Bike

Postby thatmdee » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:03 am

Hi all,

I'm new to cycling (beyond riding cheap and nasty mountain bikes as a child which I suspect turned me off cycling altogether), and I'm looking at an entry level road bike. I don't wish to spend too much money at this point, at least until the bug bites.

I'm finding it a little difficult to find good reviews on bikes, particularly lower end. At this point, I'm thinking a Giant Defy 4 (2016) on clearance. I haven't come across any real reviews yet, at least for the 2016 model. I'm thinking I could possibly stretch my budget to a Defy 3 (2016) model -- my LBS also has this on clearance.

My question is -- would either of these two bikes be okay for a cycling beginner/noob? I just intend on riding casually. I won't be commuting, just cycling on weekends along roads and pathways for fitness. It would be nice if the bike lasts a while (12 or so months?) and I can grow with it a little.

Would there be much benefit spending the extra ~$200 price jump to go from a Defy 3 to a Defy 4? Beyond these two models, I'm a little uncertain what else to consider. I've checked out the tips thread which seems to contain some great info, but I'm having a little difficulty narrowing the choices down. Initially I was sold on the idea of a hybrid bike, but at the very least I've refined down to just a road bike.

Thanks!

fergy1987

Re: Entry Level Road Bike

Postby fergy1987 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:57 am

As a first bike, just get the cheapest thing you can afford. You don't want to spend a bunch of money only to find you don't like cycling. The Defy 4 would be a great bike if that is what you are willing to spend. I am sure you could get something cheaper, but I think the Defy 4 would be quite reliable. Just find something that fits and feels comfortable. The difference between the 3 and the 4 as a beginner I don't believe you would notice any difference.
So buy something cheap now and if you love it you can always upgrade later

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:08 pm

Get the cheaper one. For entry bikes, I usually say minimum sora components. There is not much point spending another $200 for tiagra, especially for a first time bike. If you like it, you will gravitate towards 105/ultegra, if you don't, $200 saved.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:48 pm

The Defy is a good, solid frame; both models use the same frame & fork, just different bits bolted on. Although neither the Claris (Defy 4) nor Sora (Defy 3) are the slickest kit out there, both will be a revelation compared to your memories of clunky dungers, and both are good, reliable component sets. Both offer much the same overall gear range, but the Sora with its 9-sp. vs the 8-sp. Claris uses its extra gear in the mid-range to smooth out the progression through the gears, which is more noticeable on the wider-range cassettes generally specced at this level.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

thatmdee

Postby thatmdee » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:44 am

Excellent, thank you for the responses. I ended up with the Defy 4 and so far I'm reasonably happy with how it's going (apart from learning to shift gears smoothly and properly!). Now to look at some new tyres and front lights!