Article - Tale of Two Bells - Counterfeiters

Ross

Re: Article - Tale of Two Bells - Counterfeiters

Postby Ross » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:10 pm

https://cyclingtips.com/2016/12/spurcyc ... oi-review/

Just goes to show that paying top dollar for a brand name can sometimes backfire. Cycling Tips didn't seem all that impressed by it. Also, lots of people in the comments section with less than glowing reports about the Oi bell. I have a friend who bought one and she has the sameissues (not loud enough and rings when going over bumps).
Knog claims that the Oi bell sounds “like an angel playing a glockenspiel”, and it does, indeed, have a friendly ding to it. But when it comes to using it outside – on the road or on the trail – the contained ring simply isn’t loud enough. I found that I had to be approaching quite close to someone before they would hear me ringing.
Both the Spurcycle and Knog Oi deserve praise for their innovative designs, but bells are still utilitarian items and function trumps style. While the Spurcycle bell sparks a kid-like joy about ringing a bell and is highly effective at alerting those around you, the Oi bell looks sleek, but falls disappointingly flat.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:10 am

In my case, the primary purpose of the Oi! bell is to be nicely compliant.

But for cyclists that deal with pedestrians and other riders - the knog is not a loud bell and while their entire promotion and campaign was focused on being an elegant and original design - a lot of people assumed that it would also be superior to other big bells in its loudness which I think is where a bit if disappointment creeps in.

In my case, for my road bike, the knog Oi! - retailer (and not kickstarter) version is a clear favorite. Based on the feedback - for commuting, recreational and leisure cycling with more interaction with pedestrians (and an increased necessity to ring) then the Spur cycle seems to be the way to go.

That said, if you just want a bell and want it cheap... go for a $5 bell because they will do the job but don't come with the looks.
Cycling is in my BNA

Ross

Postby Ross » Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:22 pm

AUbicycles wrote:
That said, if you just want a bell and want it cheap... go for a $5 bell because they will do the job but don't come with the looks.
I have, because function trumps fashion and I don't have $50 to spend on a fancy widget that doesn't work as well as a $5 one.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:26 pm

Got my Knog Oi today. Like others have said, not as loud as my cheap bell. But it mounts in a more convenient position. I'll still give it a go on the road bike to see what it's like on the shared paths. Already considering another solution.

idler

Postby idler » Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:41 pm

If you are after a loud bell the Crane E-Ne is one to go for - its a little bit bigger than the Spur cycle (and a lot cheaper even though Japanese made) but noticeably louder.

https://vimeo.com/141776829

Is the Knog bell louder than the Hide-my-bell Garmin mount which I also have (and can confirm is not very loud at all!)?
Rikulau Stainless Steel, Hillbrick Steel, Specialized Tarmac

Bird

Postby Bird » Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:22 pm

Like others, personal preference on how much you'd pay...
$10-20 seems like plenty for an ornament that many will never use but will keep plod happy.
If your going to use it, then something that can be heard makes sense.

In business to me I always thought small profit large turnover was a smarter practice than trying to make a fortune and only sell a couple of items as people look and laugh at prices. Like shoppin for kids xmas gifts - one joint had T-shirts for $75 - cost out of china <5 per unit? I laughed and walked out... don't think the dude was impressed :)
But it just doesn't seem business' like the idea of small profit and I'll buy 5 items instead of walking out.

YMMV

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:24 pm

Nobody wrote:Got my Knog Oi today. Like others have said, not as loud as my cheap bell. But it mounts in a more convenient position. I'll still give it a go on the road bike to see what it's like on the shared paths. Already considering another solution.
Well after some more thought, I didn't bother using it. Just put it in my bells container with the other duds or not used bells. Re-installed my old bell. It works.

Newcastle Dave

Postby Newcastle Dave » Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:43 pm

I bought a couple of Knog Oi via kickstarter

Before they turned up I was reading everywhere about how bad they where and was prepared to be disappointed.

As everyone was saying how quite they where compared with their cheap bells, once mine turned up I decided to do a test. I had my old cheap BBB bell on one side, the OI on the other (equal distance from the stem), downloaded a decibel meter for my phone and actually measured them both (something I thought would be the obvious thing to do for anyone saying how quite they were, but not something I have seen anyone do)

The result ? The both peaked at the same measurement, the OI had a slightly longer and smoother decay. After riding on the local shared paths (mainly the Fernleigh Track), pedestrians seem to be able to hear it just fine (except the ones with headphones who wouldnt hear anything less than an air horn)

I have had a couple of other riders comment about how it looked much nicer that an "ordinary" bell.

So are they worth it ? Well they definitely arent as loud as say a spurcycle bell, but they arent any quieter than a cheap bell, and they have a distinctive if low key look. I will be keeping mine on the bikes

am50em

Postby am50em » Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:26 pm

Mine arrived today. Didn't think to use a sound meter but they are similar sound to the cheap bells I have replaced. Really like the unobtrusiveness of the design especially on the mountain bike which I occasionally commute on or ride on the road to the off-road areas.

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:49 pm

My spurcycle was plenty loud on Wednesday around midnight walking up a 15% hill in the bush.

I know this as my mates were yelling at me to stop ringing it :-)

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:56 am

Mugglechops wrote:walking up a 15% hill in the bush
This is a cycling forum, why were you walking?
Cycling is in my BNA

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:21 am

idler wrote:If you are after a loud bell the Crane E-Ne is one to go for - its a little bit bigger than the Spur cycle (and a lot cheaper even though Japanese made) but noticeably louder.

https://vimeo.com/141776829

Is the Knog bell louder than the Hide-my-bell Garmin mount which I also have (and can confirm is not very loud at all!)?
I bought a crane e-ne as a present. I haven't really got to hear it on a bike yet. It's a nice bell - but I'm not sure the size/look would suit all bikes.

Personally, on my commute much of my travel is on a bike path that's heavily used by walkers, and having a good bell is a bit of a luxury. If you don't have one you probably have to slow more. So, I think I'd be disappointed at the knog. Good looks yes, but not so functional as a bell. Perhaps if all you want to do is keep the cops happy then maybe.

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:19 pm

AUbicycles wrote:
Mugglechops wrote:walking up a 15% hill in the bush
This is a cycling forum, why were you walking?
I blame lack of commitment......

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:16 pm

Comedian wrote:Personally, on my commute much of my travel is on a bike path that's heavily used by walkers, and having a good bell is a bit of a luxury.
A bit of a luxury? I would have though it a necessity, not a luxury.

I'd use a Timber bell.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:17 pm

RonK wrote:
Comedian wrote:Personally, on my commute much of my travel is on a bike path that's heavily used by walkers, and having a good bell is a bit of a luxury.
A bit of a luxury? I would have though it a necessity, not a luxury.

I'd use a Timber bell.
I reckon a BBB bell is a necessity.. which is why I went for luxury on any nice bell. :mrgreen:

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:18 pm

So the wife got a crane E-NE for chrissy. It's very loud, and looks well made. The Spur cycle has maybe a little more sustain though. Still pretty impressed.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:32 pm

Comedian wrote: I reckon a BBB bell is a necessity..
Have you seen a speech therapist about that stutter? :mrgreen:
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:37 pm

Duck! wrote:
Comedian wrote: I reckon a BBB bell is a necessity..
Have you seen a speech therapist about that stutter? :mrgreen:
N-N-N-no should I? :shock:

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:27 pm

The bell thing is a sterling example of how "the law is an ass".

In Qld,
- there is no law making it mandatory to use a bell to warn when about to overtake pedestrians or other cyclists. In fact, on a heavily used shared path, one could be theoretically ringing a bell every 3 seconds to meet the bell's intended purpose which is to warn pedestrians and other cyclists when about to overtake.
- there is no specification on how loud a bell should be, or where it should be mounted, so you could very well use a birder's bell (see pic below), or cat bell.
- the end purpose of a bell is to encourage pedestrians not to change direction suddenly, so as to avoid a collision. shouldn't the same logic apply to joggers passing walkers!
- and as usual, pedestrians wearing ipods should be banned on shared paths if the Nanny State is serious about protecting people (from themselves).

defy1

Postby defy1 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:43 am

Bought a Spurcycle copy and it works great. Nice and loud and doesn't look too bad on the bike. Would never pay $50 for bell!

redsonic

Postby redsonic » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:55 pm

I see the Knog Oi rip offs are already out there:

https://www.amazon.com/New-Invisible-bi ... B01LWD2MOZ

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:24 pm

redsonic wrote:I see the Knog Oi rip offs are already out there:

The window has closed for that idea. It's now over to the chinese...

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:13 pm

Comedian wrote:
redsonic wrote:I see the Knog Oi rip offs are already out there:

The window has closed for that idea. It's now over to the chinese...
But it`s still there with Tanchen brand Knog Oi copy from Amazon and others.

And there`s Knog Oi copy from AliExpress.

ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:32 pm

Bunged Knee wrote:And there`s Knog Oi copy from AliExpress.
Bit of MacGyvering needed if you want to mount near cable runs I see...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

defy1

Postby defy1 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:40 am

lots of complaints about the knog oi and its copies not being loud enough. I wonder why they don't make the hammer bit out of metal instead of plastic.