Advice on upgrade from Sora - 105

Clintos

Advice on upgrade from Sora - 105

Postby Clintos » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:53 pm

Hi everyone,

While I've only been riding for a short time I'm already itching to burn some more money on upgrading my ride. I'm very new to all this so was hoping to get some advice on an upgrade to see if it's worth the time effort and money for any real difference.

My current ride is an 2016 Avanti Cadent C1 with the following:

Frame ADT CR3 Carbon, Endurance Road Geometry, Universal component capability
Fork ADT E3 Monocoque Carbon Integrated with 1. 5-1 1/8" Steerer
Front Derailleur Shimano Sora
Rear Derailleur Shimano Sora
Shifters Shimano Sora 18-Speed with Shimano Gear cables
Crankset Shimano Sora Compact 50/34T
Cassette : Shimano HG50 11-30T 9-Speed
Brake Levers Shimano Sora
Wheelset / Rims Shimano RS010

I would like to upgrade to 11 gears utilising 105 components and from what I've it seems be possible utilising some of the existing Sora components. I'm after advice on this as from what I've read I would only need to invest in new 105 shifters, a new Shimano 11 gear cassette and different chain? Pricing this I could obtain all required for around $200 which seems a good deal to me to get an additional two gears.

Interested on advice if this is a good upgrade idea or just a good way to waste for not much improvement, also pros and cons of only upgrading a few components rather than doing a whole groupset changeover.

cheers.

mikaelkn

Re: Advice on upgrade from Sora - 105

Postby mikaelkn » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:37 pm

You'll also need 11 speed compatible chainrings. In theory they should mount into your Sora crank arms. Otherwise, should work. Worse case scenario is having to buy an 11 speed rear derailleur. Might also want to get new cables to go with the new shifters.

BUT IMO just get the whole 105 groupset. Save the Sora for the commuting project :)

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:05 pm

You'll need a new rear wheel. You cant put an 11 speed cassette on that one.

Clintos

Postby Clintos » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:13 pm

Derny Driver wrote:You'll need a new rear wheel. You cant put an 11 speed cassette on that one.
Oh no really? well that probably puts this to rest, the wheels I'm happy with as they were an upgrade from stock standard. I was hoping to just upgrad a few components coming in at $200 compared with a whole groupset $500 and now a new wheel on top of it all...

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:18 pm

Actually Im wrong ...I just checked and those wheels are 11 speed compatible. Just take the spacer off. :D

nickdos

Postby nickdos » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:27 pm

As Derny said, the 11 speed cassette is the issue... it requires a special freehub body that is a tad wider than the standard 9/10sp ones, so depending on the wheels, it is a new hub body or new rear wheel. A quick Google suggests that newer RS010 wheels come with 11 speed compatible hubs but this may not be the case for your OEM wheels. Only way to know for sure is to try and fit an 11 speed cassette.

You could use the new'ish 10 speed Tiagra groupset (4700), which would work with your existing wheels and cranks (I think). I'd go for the medium/long cage RD and 11-32 cassette, if you have 10+% gradients around your area. But this is less of an upgrade by 1 gear...

I'd probably recommend just riding what you have for another 6 months or so. If you're racking up the km's, then it might be better to buy a whole new bike after 12-18 months and sell the old one. You'll have a better idea of what gearing, wheels, geometry, etc. you'll want by then. Just expect the wishlist to include things like lighter/wider rims, disc brakes and electronic shifting...

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:21 pm

No problem getting the cassette on, the RS010 wheelset is 11-sp. compatible, unlike its predecessor RS10 (that extra 0 makes all the difference).

You need to factor in BOTH derailleurs to the shopping list; the 11-sp. system uses a different cable pull ratio and will not work with the 9-sp. units. The existing crankset will be fine.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

Clintos

Postby Clintos » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:24 pm

thanks everyone for your advice above... I should mention for anyone who thinks it would be better to just wait and upgrade the whole bike, I was lucky enough to purchase the bike new for only $600 so spending a little more to upgrade parts seems worthwhile to me.

A further question - if I need to upgrade my derailleurs do I need a medium or short cage rear derailleur I'm utilising the existing Sora crank?

I've found some really good prices online so if I get the following it should cost me under $300:
2 x 105 shifters
11 speed chain (116 links)
11 speed cassette (11-32T)
105 front derailleur (braze on)
105 rear derailleur (size short/medium?)

again thanks for the advice!

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:37 pm

Depends what gear range you're planning to use. You can get away with every possible gear option except triple chainrings on a standard cage, but if you're using the wall-climber 32T cassette paired to a wider-spaced (eg. compact) crank the medium gives a bit more chain length to reduce stress on the system.
Last edited by Duck! on Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Clintos

Postby Clintos » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:48 pm

Duck! wrote:Depends what gear range you're planning to use. You can get away with every possible gear option except triple chainrings on a standard cage, but if you're using the wall-climber 32T cassette paired to a wider-spaced (eg .compact) crank the medium gives a bit more chain length to reduce stress on the system.
thanks Duck! for your continued advice.

The options I have are 11-28T or 11-32T in the cassette, I'm not into riding extreme hills so would you suggest going the 11-28T? and then a short derailleur to match this?

The existing Sora crank is Compact 50/34T so hoping that is ok.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:56 pm

28 with short derailleur will cover pretty well all but the most extreme hills. You can fit the 32T without changing the derailleur if down the track you find you do need it, just be a bit more wary of cross-chaining in the big ring/big sprocket. It will do it, but there's a fair bit of stress on the components.

Clintos

Postby Clintos » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:58 pm

Awesome, all ordered, thanks for your help Duck!

total price came in at $260.00 so pretty happy with that, now I'll just get burned on the install costs no doubt!

happy riding all.