Play Zwift using Bluetooth cadence/speed sensors???

Jro

Play Zwift using Bluetooth cadence/speed sensors???

Postby Jro » Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:40 pm

Ok I have a question which so far nobody has been able to answer.
I have purchased a Bluetooth speed/cadence sensor which I want to pair with Android phone (easy enough- this is not the question).
I also want to play Zwift on Laptop.
Is there a way to get Zwift to work by getting my paired BLE sensor + Galaxy S5 combo to talk to my Laptop and use for Zwift?
How would I connect laptop and phone for Zwift? If they are both online using same wifi and I am using Zwift app on Android will we have a link between the devices for it to work?
OR failing that- are there other ways to connect the phone (that's connected to Bluetooth sensors) to the laptop?

I have bought an affordable Bluetooth Sensor ($55) and now a very generous friend is giving me his Garmin Edge 500 (computer only)... it looks like the ANT+ sensors and dongle are considerably more expensive ($78 for ANT+ Garmin Speed/Cadence Sensor + $50 ANT+ USB dongle) and that's why I'm looking at other options.
Please help!

tcdev

Re: Play Zwift using Bluetooth cadence/speed sensors???

Postby tcdev » Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:45 pm

You need a Bluetooth/ANT dongle for your laptop. I watched a good video on "Zwift on a budget" on YouTube a couple of weeks ago that required nothing more than a laptop, dongle, speed/cadence sensor and a (IIRC) fluid trainer.
2015 Giant XTC Advanced 29er 1 (2016 frame)
2011 Schwinn Sporterra Comp
2021 Giant Contend AR1

macca33

Postby macca33 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:32 pm

The Bluetooth sensor should talk to your computer's Bluetooth, I'd think???
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL

nickdos

Postby nickdos » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:22 pm

The Mac/PC Zwift software does not currently "listen" to the Bluetooth signal from sensors/devices, despite the fact that most computers have BT radios in them (crazy, I know). Most people use an ANT+ USB dongle but you can use the Zwift "mobile link" app to "relay" the BT signal from the phone/tablet to the PC/Mac app, as long as both devices are on the same Wifi network. Here is the info from Zwift: https://support.zwift.com/hc/en-us/comm ... a-Feedback. The article says Android coming soon but further comments seem to suggest the current Android version now supports BT devices.

https://support.zwift.com/hc/en-us/comm ... roblematic might help.

DG1984

Postby DG1984 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:38 pm

ANT+ usb dongle as others have said.

Your phone then needs to be on the same network as your laptop, the PC then relays information to your phone whilst also displaying the same info on the laptop.

Zwift on a budget: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eg0IDDmSStw

Jro

Postby Jro » Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:44 pm

Thanks heaps folks :D ,
Yeah I did see that youtube vid and I also had read those same links... it seems as if it's theoretically possible to get the bluetooth cadence/speed sensor to talk to Zwift App and connect that to laptop via Wifi but it seems experimental at best and I am yet hear a report of anyone who has tried that exact set up and played Zwift successfully...

Anyway I ended up deciding to get the Garmin ANT+ Cadence and Speed Sensors ($78) which will hopefully talk to the Edge 500 and record a workout (regardless of Zwift or Strava live) which I could then upload to Strava...

Oh and I ordered a cheap ANT+ USB stick ($30) for the Garmin Forerunner because I couldn't bring myself to pay $50 for the shop price!

Anyway So now I have a Topeak PanoBike Bluetooth Speed and Cadence Sensor for sale if anyone is interested ($55)...

I really appreciate your advice and comments!
Please feel free to school me on any of the above as I am new to all this!!

Thanks again!

2rismo

Postby 2rismo » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:38 am

Just to add my 2c, I lost two whole days in frustration trying to get the BT side of my Kickr/Zwift/Macbook Pro work after having made it work relatively easily the first time. In the end I gave up, spent $30 on an ANT+ USB dongle and everything worked perfectly and instantly.

BT is a waste of time in this application. Glad you got yours sorted.

Jro

Postby Jro » Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:00 pm

2rismo wrote:Just to add my 2c, I lost two whole days in frustration trying to get the BT side of my Kickr/Zwift/Macbook Pro work after having made it work relatively easily the first time. In the end I gave up, spent $30 on an ANT+ USB dongle and everything worked perfectly and instantly.

BT is a waste of time in this application. Glad you got yours sorted.
Ah there you go! Thanks for sharing your experience 2rismo, much appreciated, you've confirmed what I suspected!

Now to see if the $30 Ant+ dongle for a forerunner works with the edge 500!

nickdos

Postby nickdos » Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:17 pm

Jro wrote:Now to see if the $30 Ant+ dongle for a forerunner works with the edge 500!
I used to have an Edge 500 and I don't think it works with an ANT+ dongle to talk to your computer - I always had to use a cable to sync it.