Buying a MTB for a 11yo

daazzaa

Buying a MTB for a 11yo

Postby daazzaa » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:53 am

As the Subject says, useage to ride to school a bit, to ride the roads for his mates, and weekends a bit of dirt riding. He isn't a hardcore rider, but if we get a bike decent enough I believe he will ride more and more.

Anyway still toying with the idea of new vs old. New will give some piece of mind, old will be much cheaper but may need work etc.

New ones I'm looking at
https://www.anacondastores.com/cycling/ ... ain-bikes/...
https://www.anacondastores.com/cycling/ ... ain-bikes/...
http://www.focus-bikes.com/gb/en/bikes/ ... ail/whistl...
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/au/boulder
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/au/atx-2

or 2ndhand ones
2007 Avanti Atomic Disc, in real good condition, apparently just needs a new rear derailleur. Supposedly around $150 to fix? Sound about right for that bike? Could I still get the derailleur for it considering it is nearly 10 years old?
2006 Giant Yukon once again old, but in real good knick by pictures, nothing needs to be done supposedly. How much should I be spending on these nearly 10 yo bikes in VGC?

Which way to go ??

Mububban

Re: Buying a MTB for a 11yo

Postby Mububban » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:12 pm

I think lots of kids bikes especially will be in VGC second hand, unless they've been dropping it sideways all the time. Gumtree is full of adult bikes listed as "I bought it with the best of intentions but then never rode it" so they sell it in almost as new condition, many even have the beading still on the tyres from manufacturing!

Considering how cheap many decent adult bikes go for, under $200 for a kids bike is my rough guess.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

daazzaa

Postby daazzaa » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:22 pm

Mububban wrote:I think lots of kids bikes especially will be in VGC second hand, unless they've been dropping it sideways all the time. Gumtree is full of adult bikes listed as "I bought it with the best of intentions but then never rode it" so they sell it in almost as new condition, many even have the beading still on the tyres from manufacturing!

Considering how cheap many decent adult bikes go for, under $200 for a kids bike is my rough guess.
Thanks Mububban, thinking the 2ndhand option for now, see how much useage he gets out of one, how keen he is riding etc, and then can upgrade or get a new one if the demands are there.

Any of the 2ndhand ones I mentioned good bikes? The Giant Yukon is about 10 years old but supposedly all works fine, housed indoors etc. May need tyres soon but that's not a great expense I assume. Would around $100 be OK for it ?

And the Avanti Atomic disc, also nearly 10 years old, It has Alivio rear derailleur and Acera front. The rear derailleur is definitely broken and need a whole new one. So do I have to get an Alivio one then? Approx cost ? What would a good price to pay considering I need to replace the derailleur?

Cheers

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:33 am

There are a couple of other options on that site or ebay etc .
http://www.this link is broken/au/e ... -prod40543 9 speed
http://www.this link is broken/au/e ... -prod38673 7/8 speed

I am a member of a few local bike pages on Facebook. There are always good cheap parts coming up. Sometimes you just need to ask. People have sheds full of good parts.

I don't visit shops often. Maybe $25 to $50 at a guess to fit. Prices can vary.
You tube and fit yourself. Maybe get a shop to adjust of you don't get it right.

The fact it needs a new derailleur is a good bargaining tool.

daazzaa

Postby daazzaa » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:07 pm

mitzikatzi wrote:There are a couple of other options on that site or ebay etc .
http://www.this link is broken/au/e ... -prod40543 9 speed
http://www.this link is broken/au/e ... -prod38673 7/8 speed

I am a member of a few local bike pages on Facebook. There are always good cheap parts coming up. Sometimes you just need to ask. People have sheds full of good parts.

I don't visit shops often. Maybe $25 to $50 at a guess to fit. Prices can vary.
You tube and fit yourself. Maybe get a shop to adjust of you don't get it right.

The fact it needs a new derailleur is a good bargaining tool.
I'm on a few local FB pages also, so keeping an eye out on those. Thanks. The 2ndhand ones I have commented on, considering their age, are they still decent and robust bikes with good parts?

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:09 am

daazzaa wrote:
Mububban wrote:I think lots of kids bikes especially will be in VGC second hand, unless they've been dropping it sideways all the time. Gumtree is full of adult bikes listed as "I bought it with the best of intentions but then never rode it" so they sell it in almost as new condition, many even have the beading still on the tyres from manufacturing!

Any of the 2ndhand ones I mentioned good bikes? The Giant Yukon is about 10 years old but supposedly all works fine, housed indoors etc. May need tyres soon but that's not a great expense I assume. Would around $100 be OK for it ?
I'd go the Giant. $100 for a good quality bike is fair I reckon, especially if it fits him for 2-3 years and gets him riding more. If not, you haven't blown a huge amount of money. And a new pair of tyres for a kids bike should be under $100 easily.

I wouldn't bother buying something you know is broken. And 10 years of light/minimal usage is nothing for a bike. Recently I saw an older couple riding around on their VGC Indi 500 bikes from the late 1970s/early 1980s. If stored under cover and looked after and not ridden tens of thousands of kms, a good bike will outlast any of us barring a crash.

The only reason I bought brand new bikes for my kids is that both sets of grandparents gave us money to chip in for them, otherwise I would have bought second hand and the kids still would have loved them :)
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:47 am

Out of the "new bikes" The Giant or the Focus. Anaconda bikes are ok but over priced only consider them at 40% of and preferably 50% off on sale.

Really for a young kid I would try and find a rideable second hand bike. Ideally needing no parts just a bit of cleaning and servicing. Then if they take to riding maybe consider a new bike.

If the bike Giant is in good condition and rideable $100 is a fair price. $100 at Kmart Big or W just buys crap.

daazzaa

Postby daazzaa » Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:21 pm

mitzikatzi wrote:Out of the "new bikes" The Giant or the Focus. Anaconda bikes are ok but over priced only consider them at 40% of and preferably 50% off on sale.

Really for a young kid I would try and find a rideable second hand bike. Ideally needing no parts just a bit of cleaning and servicing. Then if they take to riding maybe consider a new bike.

If the bike Giant is in good condition and rideable $100 is a fair price. $100 at Kmart Big or W just buys crap.
Thanks Mitzikatzi

In the end bit the bullet and bought brand new. Couldn't find a 2ndhand one in the short timeframe that didn't need something done to it etc. Bought Focus Whistler 4.0. More than I was wanting pay for, but seems to be a nice bike. 27.5 wheels, Small frame (they tried to get him into a medium, but would be 6 months away from been confident on it due to been just a little to big), hydraulic brakes, deore rear etc. Hasn't been off it since he got it!

Anyone got a few suggestions for cleaning chain, gears, frame etc. Good products for cleaning, products not to use etc ? Do and donts? etc

Cheers

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:33 pm

Congratulations. Lucky kid :)

Me I just use car wash or CT18 to wash my bike.
Silicon spray (I have WD 40 brand at the moment) or http://www.bicycleexpress.com.au/store/ ... 500ml.aspx

Chain lube I like http://www.this link is broken.au/squirt-chain-lube/ The chain just gets washed with the rest of the bike. Chain needs to be dry to apply Squirt.

I also have a can of cheap brake cleaner spray from Auto shop. I usually/sometimes spray the rotors after a wash. Keep the rotors clean you don't want too get oil/grease on them.
A small bottle of light oil for pivots in derailleurs etc.
Water proof grease or Lanotec for pedal spindles etc.
I also have a can of WD40/C.R.C 5.56 which I used sprayed on to a rag to spot degrease areas.
You need to do several hard stops. Allow to "cool" between stops to bed brake pads in.

daazzaa

Postby daazzaa » Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:20 pm

Thanks mitzikatzi

Is the normal WD-40 a degreaser, or do u have to buy it with the word degreaser on it for cleaning chains etc?
On a spending spree tomorrow to purchase cleaning products for the young fella's MTB :)

mitzikatzi wrote:Congratulations. Lucky kid :)

Me I just use car wash or CT18 to wash my bike.
Silicon spray (I have WD 40 brand at the moment) or http://www.bicycleexpress.com.au/store/ ... 500ml.aspx

Chain lube I like http://www.this link is broken.au/squirt-chain-lube/ The chain just gets washed with the rest of the bike. Chain needs to be dry to apply Squirt.

I also have a can of cheap brake cleaner spray from Auto shop. I usually/sometimes spray the rotors after a wash. Keep the rotors clean you don't want too get oil/grease on them.
A small bottle of light oil for pivots in derailleurs etc.
Water proof grease or Lanotec for pedal spindles etc.
I also have a can of WD40/C.R.C 5.56 which I used sprayed on to a rag to spot degrease areas.
You need to do several hard stops. Allow to "cool" between stops to bed brake pads in.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:28 pm

Other than chain lube you shouldn't really need anything else 'special' for a bike.

Normal wd40 for degreasing (but not getting anywhere near brakes), normal car wash for cleaning, but a soft brush and water will clean things enough in most circumstances. If you get rock n roll chain lube you don't even need to degrease the chain, it's a great 2min clean and lube for your chain.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

daazzaa

Postby daazzaa » Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:53 pm

bychosis wrote:Other than chain lube you shouldn't really need anything else 'special' for a bike.

Normal wd40 for degreasing (but not getting anywhere near brakes), normal car wash for cleaning, but a soft brush and water will clean things enough in most circumstances. If you get rock n roll chain lube you don't even need to degrease the chain, it's a great 2min clean and lube for your chain.
Thanks heaps. Bought a ProLink Chain Lube, was told it is quite good in the bikeshop. Got 3-in-1 Multiple Purpose Oil for a pulleys.

Silly question regarding the rotors, I (and my son) as quite specific not to get anything on the rotors, but it is OK when washing the bike, to get them wet from overspray etc? To clean brake rotors, you can simply use automotive brake cleaner?

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:59 pm

daazzaa wrote: Silly question regarding the rotors, I (and my son) as quite specific not to get anything on the rotors, but it is OK when washing the bike, to get them wet from overspray etc? To clean brake rotors, you can simply use automotive brake cleaner?
Not a silly question at all, this is all stuff I've got to learn as my new bike has disc brakes and I know nothing about maintaining them on a bike :D

As long as you don't contaminate the brake pads with oil, then detergent and water won't harm them.

If you do get the brake pads oily, apparently some people clean them off using a blowtorch (!!!) or just change the pads.

daazzaa

Postby daazzaa » Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:08 pm

Mububban wrote:
daazzaa wrote: Silly question regarding the rotors, I (and my son) as quite specific not to get anything on the rotors, but it is OK when washing the bike, to get them wet from overspray etc? To clean brake rotors, you can simply use automotive brake cleaner?
Not a silly question at all, this is all stuff I've got to learn as my new bike has disc brakes and I know nothing about maintaining them on a bike :D

As long as you don't contaminate the brake pads with oil, then detergent and water won't harm them.

If you do get the brake pads oily, apparently some people clean them off using a blowtorch (!!!) or just change the pads.

Thanks heaps Mububban. I'm such a newbie at this and I guess I have spent quite a bit of money on the MTB for my son I want to make sure it is taken good care of. To some $600 may not be a lot, but it is a starting point. I have sort of got the bug also and now looking at buying a MTB myself to go out riding with my son!

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:32 pm

daazzaa wrote:Thanks heaps Mububban. I'm such a newbie at this and I guess I have spent quite a bit of money on the MTB for my son I want to make sure it is taken good care of. To some $600 may not be a lot, but it is a starting point. I have sort of got the bug also and now looking at buying a MTB myself to go out riding with my son!
We all have our budgets, be it $250, $1000 or $10,000. No shame in it for anyone, it is what it is.
Any bike will get you riding, the main thing is to get out there and teach them to love it and make them think of cycling as something they want to do :) My kids are just turning 6 and 8 and to them, riding a bike to the local shops rather than driving is just something completely normal.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:22 am

$600 is enough to be a good bike. Sure you can spend heaps more, but a $600 bike is well worth looking after.

As for the discs don't worry about them too much, I have never really cleaned mine other than a bit of a hose and brush down maybe occasionally some detergent. They still work fine.

As above though, if you get oil on them make sure you clean them properly and you may need new pads. It has happened to me once when my forks leaked, I needed new pads and the rotors good a good clean with brake cleaner.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.