Please recommend a bicycle. Road vs Cyclocross?

flyingfruitcake

Please recommend a bicycle. Road vs Cyclocross?

Postby flyingfruitcake » Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:12 pm

Hi All,

Have been lurking/reading posts for a while now.

Apologies for the stupid questions to follow.

The short version
Are Cyclocross bicycles good and comfortable for commuting and occasional mountain biking?
Is it possible to get a quality bicycle below $1000?
If yes, what would you recommend?

If no, should I opt for an "endurance" bicycle and buy a separate mountain bike?
(this is not preferred as money is an issue here)

The long version

Background:
I have been riding my bicycle every now and then.
Did the 50KM Melbourne - Altona - Melbourne 4 years ago
Then the 100KM Melbourne - Frankston - Melbourne 3 years ago

Timing for the above events are just below average.
Last two years health has been an issue, mainly leg cramps and lower back.

However, this year my health has improved and the legs are much better hence want to attempt the 210KM Around the Bay in October.

Current Bicycle
I ride a 2006 Diamondback Wildwood (Citi ?) hybrid. Did the above rides on this baby.
Still serves me well.

What I need help with
However, I am contemplating buying a new bicycle.
The 210 Km ride, if I survive, will be my last on-road ride.

I plan to then only do occasional commute home to work (about 20kms each way once a week)
And do some off road/trail/mountain biking now and then.

Would a cylcocross be comfortable (and better suited than the old Diamondback) to do the 210km?
Are Cyclocross bicycles good and comfortable for commuting and occasional mountain biking?
Is it possible to get a quality bicycle below $1000?
If yes, what would you recommend?

If no, should I opt for an "endurance" bicycle and buy a separate mountain bike?
(this is not preferred as money is an issue here)

Thank you for your time and help.

Cheers.

trailgumby

Re: Please recommend a bicycle. Road vs Cyclocross?

Postby trailgumby » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:09 pm

The money-no-object answer is to get separate bikes.

We have a fairly tame fire trail here in northern Sydney where I go to flog myself on cardio on dirt without having to think too much. It's a bit rocky but is the go-to trail for beginner riders. It's an out-and-back called the Perimeter and Long Trails.

I've seen a couple of crossers out there and they look like a handful, and that's on stuff that I would just roll over even on my 10yo 26er hardtail. So yes, it's a small sample, but based on what I saw of them I don't believe they are a substitute for a mountain bike on a mountain bike trail. A lot will depend on the trail.

As far as road use goes, they are necessarily more burly than a pure road bike, so you may find them somewhat harsh. A lot o that can be ameliorated by selecting the right tyres and especially the right tyre pressure. The geometry is I believe also a bit shorter in the front centre than a regular roadie (forum members please correct me if I am wrong) so that it is easier to handle in what passes for rough stuff on a CX course when descending, so will probably sit you more upright than a roadie, and this may affect comfort. It will affect speed. Not deal killers, but things to bear in mind.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:01 pm

trailgumby wrote:The money-no-object answer is to get separate bikes.

I've seen a couple of crossers out there and they look like a handful, and that's on stuff that I would just roll over even on my 10yo 26er hardtail. So yes, it's a small sample, but based on what I saw of them I don't believe they are a substitute for a mountain bike on a mountain bike trail. A lot will depend on the trail.
Highlighted for emphasis. Some tamer trails can be ridden adequately on a CX bike - Yarra Trails and the Kurrajong side of You Yangs spring to mind - but for most stuff worthy of the title "MTB trail" you really need a proper MTB.
As far as road use goes, they are necessarily more burly than a pure road bike, so you may find them somewhat harsh. A lot o that can be ameliorated by selecting the right tyres and especially the right tyre pressure. The geometry is I believe also a bit shorter in the front centre than a regular roadie (forum members please correct me if I am wrong) so that it is easier to handle in what passes for rough stuff on a CX course when descending, so will probably sit you more upright than a roadie, and this may affect comfort. It will affect speed.
Geometry typically seems to be somewhere between Race & Endurance roadies; shorter in the top tube than a race bike, but not as short as an endurance bike, taller in the head than a race bike, longer wheelbase for both more stable handling in the rough plus tyre clearance, and will tend to have more ground clearance than both, partially from the tyre size, also from the frame geometry itself and longer fork for tyre clearance.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

flyingfruitcake

Postby flyingfruitcake » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:34 am

Thank you very much for your time.

I will settle for a road/endurance bicycle for now. Will get a MTB when I can afford it.

Any recommendations on a decent endurance bicycle below $1000?

How are these?
Cannondale CAAD8
Giant Defy 3 2016
Specialized Allez E5 Sport

Is there much difference between the Tiagra and Sora?

Thank you.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:36 am

flyingfruitcake wrote:Thank you very much for your time.

I will settle for a road/endurance bicycle for now. Will get a MTB when I can afford it.

Any recommendations on a decent endurance bicycle below $1000?

How are these?
Cannondale CAAD8
Giant Defy 3 2016
Specialized Allez E5 Sport

Is there much difference between the Tiagra and Sora?

Thank you.
Any of those bikes will do you well, and there are still good deals to be found on the last of the 2015 stock shops want to get rid of.

From what I've read re Tiagra vs Sora, nowadays they all seem to shift very well and smoothly, it's just that as you move up in price/spec you get more gears (8 vs 9 vs 10 etc) and each step up would get a tiny bit lighter (not noticeable). More gears = less gaps between each gear to find the right cadence.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:42 pm

flyingfruitcake wrote: Is there much difference between the Tiagra and Sora?
In terms of material composition and quality they're the same, the difference is Tiagra is built around a 10-sp. cassette while Sora is 9-sp. The overall gear range is the same*, the 10-sp. makes use of its extra sprocket to rearrange the mid-range to smooth out the progression through the gears.

*Except for 2016-spec, which due to a generational update to Tiagra which allows up to a 34T cassette gives it a jump over the older Sora. New 2017-spec Sora also gets the widened gear range, but remains 9-sp.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

flyingfruitcake

Postby flyingfruitcake » Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:07 pm

Thank you all.

You folks are awesome.
Should have jumped on here earlier.

The giant Defy 3 2016 comes in at $1099.

Came across the Cannondale Synapse Disc 105, 2016 for $1400
A bit exy. would it be worth the extra $$$

Been a while since I bought a bicycle. Would asking the LBS to throw in a free service be okay?

Thank you.

flyingfruitcake

Postby flyingfruitcake » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:33 pm

Dang!
Local bicycle stores don't have the Cannondale Synapse Disc 105 or the Defy 3 :(

the 2016 Defy 2 disc seems to be available on order though.

Any thoughts on the defy 2 disc?

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:31 pm

I'm a bit late but what about the Contend or Contend SL. Sounds like a nice bike looking at a number of threads.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=91452

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=91319

viewtopic.php?f=58&t=61852&start=225
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL