Lace up new carbon rims onto disc brake hubs - Giant SL0

jeffs256

Lace up new carbon rims onto disc brake hubs - Giant SL0

Postby jeffs256 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:27 pm

I’m not sure if this is a common question, but is it reasonable to try to lace aftermarket carbon rims on my Giant alloy sl0 wheels with disc hubs (specs below) from my 2015 Defy Advanced Pro 0? I’m chasing the better road buzz suppression from carbon as much as climbing benefit from slightly lighter carbon rims, and would like to get to a tubeless ready (not tubular) profile less than say 40mm. I weigh 80kgs and ride in Sydney northern beaches city commute conditions mainly – but with 400m elevation each way.

I'm hoping the effort would cost <$500 rather than going for $1000+ dedicated carbon disc brake wheelset. Just not sure if the spoke patterns can ever be matched to a non-Giant rim.

RIMS Giant PSL0 - claimed weight around 1750g
Disc WheelSystem; 30mm deep, 23mmwide alloy HUBS Giant PSL0 Disc WheelSystem; [F] 20h, [R] 24h
SPOKES Giant PSL0 Disc WheelSystem; Sapim Race

Duck!
Expert

Re: Lace up new carbon rims onto disc brake hubs - Giant SL0

Postby Duck! » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:25 pm

As long as the spokes are at equal intervals around the rims (rather than clustered, such as Campagnolo G3 lacing) you'll be fine. If the rim profile differs from the original rims you will need new spokes to suit.

Deeper profile rims will lose some of the vibration damping quality, so you probably want to stick to around the 25-35mm profile depth region.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:56 pm

For the sake of saving a couple of hundred dollars (the cost of new hubs), you are destroying you old wheel set. Yes you have a set of alloy rims to sell and a bunch of spokes, you might be able to reuse if you get the right 30mm deep carbon rims. But for me I would be thinking about having a spare set of wheels just in case.

The weight difference between the alloy PSL0 and Giant's ultralight carbon disc brake specific SLR1 is 135g. So assuming you can find a similar pair of rims in your budget, + cost of lacing (or the frustration of doing it yourself) the hubs + spokes, to save 135g and reduce road buzz.

If you want to cut down road buzz for less $, get hold of some 28mm tyres (the max that will fit your defy), maybe even tubeless (save a few grams running sealant instead of tubes) and run them at lower pressure. I am currently running 25mm (the max my frame will take) wide GP4000S II on 23mm wide rims at 85psi rear, 75psi front and an surprised how much road buzz that cuts out. with 28mm you could lose another 5 or 10psi. http://cyclingtips.com/2016/08/cyclingt ... pressures/

If you still wanted low profile carbon rims I would be trawling Bicycle Market on facebook looking for a second hand wheel set (preferably SLR1).

Yes I have built my own wheels.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:20 am

+1 to what Nickobec said.

nickdos

Postby nickdos » Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:01 am

Another +1 for Nickobec's anwer...

I'll add that in the MTB scene carbon rims are considered to be harsher than aluminium rims, as the Alu rim have more give - carbon is stiffer.

Listen to this podcast for a good discussion on lower pressure, wider tyres, etc., (backed by real-world research): http://cyclingtips.com/2016/08/cyclingt ... pressures/

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:28 am

I would suggest trying to hunt down some of the same hubs secondhand and lace up some carbon rims at say 38-50mm. Keep the existing wheelset unless the rims are toast. If you're goint to go carbon, you might as well get a little aero benefit. Much above 50mm and you catch a bit much crosswind for my comfort levels.

The reason for sticking with the same hubs is that you won't have to worry about resetting your shifting or brake calipers each time.

If that is not a hassle (and I haven't found it to be much of a risk, TBH, as the stock wheelsets on my bikes came with quality hubs anyway), some nice hubs like Hope Pro II.

The main upside I have found from my carbon rims is that they stay true much better as the carbon doesn't take a set like aluminium can if it exceeds its elastic limit. (Of course, carbon simply cracks when it reaches that point, but the limit is usually much higher.)

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:06 pm

If you're not discouraged by the above, bdop do some nice carbon disc rims and DIY wheel build kits

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:24 pm

MattyK wrote:If you're not discouraged by the above, bdop do some nice carbon disc rims and DIY wheel build kits
Not for less than $500 which is the op's budget. Indeed the carbon disc rims alone are priced more than that.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:37 pm

nickdos wrote: I'll add that in the MTB scene carbon rims are considered to be harsher than aluminium rims, as the Alu rim have more give - carbon is stiffer.
"Harsher" is the wrong word. "Informative" is a better description of carbon's characteristics. Aluminium is harsh. Yes they bend more on the bigger hits and when pressed through corners, but you feel every little bump, and cop a much sharper hit on the bigger ones. On carbon you feel the size of the bumps more because they tend to bounce more, but the initial hit is softened, and trail chatter is greatly reduced.

Have a read here for a write-up of a little real-world test I did a few weeks back comparing combinations of carbon & aluminium frames and wheels.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:28 pm

biker jk wrote:
MattyK wrote:If you're not discouraged by the above, bdop do some nice carbon disc rims and DIY wheel build kits
Not for less than $500 which is the op's budget. Indeed the carbon disc rims alone are priced more than that.
On the other hand he could sell the original wheels and get some money back.