Advice on U lock size

rusty99

Advice on U lock size

Postby rusty99 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:20 pm

I've bought a more expensive bike and its time to ditch the cable and purchase a U lock. There are so many different sizes I'm at a bit of a loss as to which to pick. In the big cities, do people have a size that seems to work on most poles and bike racks? I gather you should enclose the rear wheel, upright tube and the bike rack bar together and not leave much wriggle room, so what works size best for most people?

tomee

Re: Advice on U lock size

Postby tomee » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:23 pm

some light reading

http://thebestbikelock.com/

rusty99

Postby rusty99 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:59 pm

Yeah that's what I was reading :-) when they talk about 230 and 300mm locks, is that the internal dimensions?

rusty99

Postby rusty99 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:06 pm

I visited a shop and the dimensions are internal. I'm hoping the 230 will lock both wheels (front separated) to a pole, but you can't test as the keys are locked in the packaging. I obviously want to avoid this which I saw today: https://flic.kr/p/Lq44Wh

Ant_S

Postby Ant_S » Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:06 am

As you say ideally you want to go through frame and wheels in order of ease of stealing or value.. so if you have quick release then probably through front wheel along with frame at least.

Like you mentioned, quoted sizes are internal so it means the external size from 'end to end' of the whole lock can get pretty big, which could be an issue pending how you store/carry the lock. Plus extra weight.

The lock in that photo looks like a Reid one, I got one free with a bike I bought years ago. I think they have theirs loose on the shelf there so possibly you could try one out on your bike? Or even ask an LBS if they'd let you try?

I am wanting a new U lock myself, I am considering one of the Kryptonite Evolution Mini as they come with a 120cm Flex cable. This slides onto the U and extends to lock say the back wheel. Obviously it can be cut much easier than the U lock itself so if sitting in a secluded spot all day it could be at risk, but still better than nothing.

http://www.kryptonitelock.com/en/produc ... 00990.html

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:41 pm

As an ABUS U-Lock user for many years, I'd say bigger is better to a point. Get one that will encompass wheel, frame and suitable solid object.
Work out what you are going to anchor to and get an appropriate size. For me, the bikecage at work has vertical racks so I can fit the U around rack, wheel and frame. On the back of my car, I have a looped heavy-duty cable which I use around the rack as well. I just can't manoeuvre the U to lock frame and wheel to the rack.
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:15 pm

The other question is will you be carrying said U-Lock?

No point in buying a massive one if you cant/wont carry with you.

If you can leave it at your destination/home then by all means, the biggest/most bad ass makes sense

FYI i have those kryptonite ones with the flexicable that ANT_S linked to,mines the Series 2 Mini7. i leave mine at work where the bike cages have a dedicated rack to store locks when not in use.

Our bikes are stored vertically on a steady rack, so i look mine through the front wheel and through the main frame triangle.

Its a secure bike cage that needs card access at two points, so its fairly secure.

kb

Postby kb » Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:45 pm

ValleyForge wrote:As an ABUS U-Lock user for many years, I'd say bigger is better to a point. Get one that will encompass wheel, frame and suitable solid object.
Work out what you are going to anchor to and get an appropriate size. For me, the bikecage at work has vertical racks so I can fit the U around rack, wheel and frame. On the back of my car, I have a looped heavy-duty cable which I use around the rack as well. I just can't manoeuvre the U to lock frame and wheel to the rack.
After working out the minimum size, the usual recommendation is to be as close to that as you can to reduce space inside the D. This makes grinding or jacking it open much harder.